Comments

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    WalkJogDave wrote (see)

Race photos are up.

Are mine the only awful ones? Not impressed image

I dunno.. i think I look spiffing in this oneimage

/members/images/334358/Gallery/gsr_5.jpg

I'm surprised that i'm laughing and smiling in the majority of mine!

• Options

I'd be happy with that image

(Sorry - that didnt sound quite as I meant it........image)

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I stopped and did several madonna-esque posingimage

• Options

In all of my photos that ever get taken on races I always look like I am walking rather than running!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Zoe - I tend to speed up and take some elogated leaps... image

• Options

/members/images/518389/Gallery/GSR.jpg

/members/images/518389/Gallery/Joel_GSR.jpg

Me at the end and my little boy on the saturday

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

What a lovely picture image It's a shame that they cut off your little boy's head in the top picture.

• Options

Just nipping in here...am not a fan of GSR as I think it is vastly overpriced for a 10 mile run plus the traffic going out of Portsmouth after any big event is just horrendous. There is a lovely 10 miler run on 25th November at Hayling Island - for any locals. A snip at £12.00. 

If any of you are looking for a great local marathon after stretching your legs on Sunday - have a look at Portsmouth marathon on 23rd December. It has just under 200 places left I believe. It is a great event, low key and worth every penny, unlike GSR.

• Options

No official photos of me ...................... did I dream all of Sunday or was I really there????

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Nelly - head to marathonphoto.com and enter your name. it's all on there.

@Possumhopper -i've heard great things about the portsmouth marathon but there's only so much pompey I can handle in one year! image  Thank you for posting and offering the suggestions image

• Options

Emmy. Just wondering how you get the photos onto here. I've got a cracking 'action' pose to share.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi David, Just click on the icon that looks like a tree - Select "Upload from my computer" and bang you're there.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    /members/images/334358/Gallery/image_1.jpg

/members/images/334358/Gallery/image_2.jpg

There you go image Now please post more pictures of youimage

• Options

/members/images/733909/gallery/PORQ1430.jpg

Figured it out... And here we go. Nice action pose! Almost looks like I'm taking it seriously!image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Nice going David! image 

• Options

Emmy H - I also do Portsmouth Half in Feb which is a great run but yes, trekking up and down Ports sea front is best left to twice a year and at either ends. I think I've spoken to you before on here.....Thames Meander ??  image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Yep - that'd be it! Thames Meander in August. How are you getting on?

Pompey's ok but I like to try a variety of races.

• Options
    Emmy_H wrote (see)

@Nelly - head to marathonphoto.com and enter your name. it's all on there.

Definately nothing there of me (rest of friends there) and the search facilty is useless, oh well just have to stick with my memories image

• Options
    The Green Fairy wrote (see)

Jellybaby - your sister lives in Portugal!?  I'm seriously thinking about going to live out there soon.  I'd be in or near Lisbon.  This evening I've even been looking up road races out there!imageimage There's the Lisbon half marathon three weeks before the Brighton marathon!  Maybe an ideal warm up race for Brightonimage

Yes - I live in Jersey but she and her partner moved to Portugal about 3 years ago. My OH and I went to visit in March this year and lo and behold what was happening??? A HM just at that time - too much of a coincidence me thinksimage

The travel was ok for us - she lives a train journey away so we all went to Lisbon the night before and stayed with friends overnight and then I ran the next morning. You start over the river and run across a really long bridge - very impressive! Ideal preparation for Brighton/London BUT it was really hot compared to what I was used to at that time of year - mid 20's and I'm not good in the heat....lots of people in a rather worryingly collapsed state by the side of the road - not good for my confidence I have to say! Worth considering though - cheap flights are available if you go midweek..........and good preparation for Brighton!

• Options

OMG my photos are awful too! Or maybe I just look awful all the timeimage Have picked out the 'best' one.  Where has my neck gone!?  I had started the race with oneimage My race number 17830 if anyone curious.

/members/images/5743/Gallery/POTD0934.jpg

• Options

Emmy H - I loved Thames - great event.  I also like to do different runs but I do have some that I do every year - Portsmouth mara being such an event as is Brighton mara and new Forest - one of my favourites now. image

All good since Thames - have done a few more marathons since then including Beachy Head Saturday gone. First time at that one and it was blooming tough but a great event.   image

• Options

That was very enjoyable and problem free. We drove in for 8.30 and parked right by the start, then went for breakfast at the White Swan. Nice pub. We got back just in time to shout "Kelly" as Kelly Holmes was being interviewed (and you could hear us on the TV), and join the frozen crowds who had stood there, we understand, for quite some time.

Loved the stretch through the old port. That was great. Very good crowd support throughout, especially for such a rainy day, Probably among the best in the UK. Certainly better than the Great North.

As is common with big races, getting through the crowd can be difficult. And, regardless of size or type of run, there are always people who start in the wrong place and get in the way. It's just human nature, and there's little that organisers can do about that. The smaller the number of entrants the less it matters, but I've not yet encountered ANY race in which people lined up at the start in the order they will finish. For me - I overook loads up people up to about the 7 mile mark, and then loads of people overtook me until around the 9 mile mark, at which I picked up again.

My RunKeeper recorded 10.19 miles, and I really didn't weave that much, and I did take the narrow corners where possible. And I stopped it about 400 metres from the finish because my main time is my watch, and I have forgotten to turn off my phone ap when finishing because I am concentrating on stopping my watch, and then picking up the goodies.

As we went to the pub for lunch straight after the race, there was no problem with the traffic when we decided to leave.

Goodie bag had the usual things - neither good nor bad. The t-shirt is very corporate and dull, so I'll not be wearing that other than for doing the gardening. Seems to shame to waste money and material on making an unattractive t-shirt that people won't wear. We all accept that the t-shirt will contain advertising, but for it to contain nothing but a corporate advert for the Great Run organisation, seems rather uninspired and thoughtless.

Having done this one I won't be doing it again - though I enjoyed it, and there were no problems, there was nothing outstanding or special about it. The route, apart from the old harbbour, was dull residential. Having a run by the coast outside of the summer seasaon is usually not a good idea, though as it turned out the weather was warmer than we were led to expect. I had two layers on, and considered a few times stopping to take a layer off as I was just a bit too warm for comfort.

My time was exactly as I predicted  - 1.45. Even though a flat course I had a feeling i wouldn't get a PB because of the crowds, and as it turned out, the low cloud pressure on the day was an inhibitor for me. (I had enjoyed my run on the Saturday much more when there was no cloud cover - the air was light and great for breathing and running).

If it's nice weather on the day my next race is the A20 Half on November 18. I'm not that keen on long distance runs in cold weather so I'm not signing up in advance - just waiting to see what it's like on the day.

Good luck to everyone on their next runs.

• Options

hello im 14 and im going to do the GSR next year and i would like to ask if i could get any good advice for the run i cam 39th in the GSR 5k with a time of 22:20 and im starting interval training 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Jordan,

As its been suggested on other threads you've posted on - get yourself down to a athletics club and let them sort you out. They will help you with the training and getting the mileage and speed work in.

The race itself is technically not difficult so you wont have to worry about hills/different terrain.

• Options

ok thanks emmy and might hae to get my self into a club then lol 

• Options

Karlsp look at the FB pics of GSR number 54!! image

• Options
    /members/images/655759/Gallery/GSR.png

From the red nose and blue lips I think this must have been at the beginning of the run when I was frozen!! Note the Jersey flag on my cap please   image