Great South Run 2012

Comments

• Yay! Is this the only GSR thread?  Seems a bit quietimage.

I'm in for this again and this year managing to keep healthy enough to do some regular trainingimage.

Is there anybody out there........................

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Green Fairy - Yes you're right... I know it's a tad quiet seeing as the race is just under 2 months away. What training are you doing?

How is everyone else doing for training? I've got to admit - because i'm doing half marathons every weekend before this in October -i'm using this as an easy recovery run as i'm planning to give it everything the weekend before!

• My training is not going as planned, just finished night shifts for the week so hopefully will run tmw. I have found that doing my walking event in july has sapped all my running!

Need to start putting in the miles, this year I am not expecting a PB will be just to get round!

• I am doing the GSR for the first time... I would love to do it in 1:30 but don't think it will happen because I have been injured... I think I entered my estimated time as 1:45, will I be in the green wave? image

• Hi Emmy_bug, What training? Oh yes...er...trainingimageimage I'm aged 58 and 13 and a half stone and haven't been able to train for a long time thanks to injury and illness.

But I've been getting back into it slowly over the last five weeks, starting with run/walking.  I'm now running 3 times a week with 2x3mile runs and a longer run, now 4.6 miles, on sunday.  I am making sure I have a good base to my training.  I'm no speed merchant and would have been delighted to get round in under 2 hours.  I'm pleased with the training so far and confident I'll get an even better time.  I must have done the GSR about 6 or 7 times before.

But my priorities in any race are to finish without knackering myself and mainly to enjoy the event!image

I'll be wearing my green fairy costume (great for banter with the crowd).

• Hi everyone,

looking forward to it this year, though the hotel in Fareham has contacted me to say that they are doing renovations and so some of the facilities are not open (bar/restaurant  in the evening  is closed), but I'll eat out and they reduced the price to £40.00 for me so that's even better! They said it would be quiet so as long as I get a good nights sleep and breakfast in the morning I'm not bothered if there is wallpaper or not!

Training is going ok - managing a long run of about 10 miles once a week with shorter runs inbetween and interval training as one session which has helped with my speed in general. Got under 49 mins for a 10km last month which is a PB, so well chuffed!

However, holidays and overtime at work are never easy to handle when trying to commit yourself to running as well, and fundraising (made fudge today to sell outside the house!).  

Happy training everyone - glorious weather today long run tonight when it's cooler I think! image

• I am doing the GSR, i did the 5km they have the day before last year and it was brilliant. 10 miles is much farther than i have ever ran, i did a race for life 10km in july and have been making my LSR 7-8 miles since then. Tomorrow i hope to do 9-10 miler (it's my first sunday club run for ages so not sure how far it will be exactly, but we usually take a leisurely pace with jelly baby stops) Then it's all systems go for the last few weeks of training.

Good luck to everyone else thats doing it.

• Hi all,

I'll be doing this again this year (had a great time in my first attempt last year) with my slow 10min/mile plod. So far been thinking about Stockbridge 10k which happened yesterday, dissapointed time but the heat yesterday morning really didn't help, especially up the hill. At least I know the GSR is going to be flat. Couple of days off now then 6 and half weeks to get ready for GSR looking forward to making up for yesterdays dissapointment.

See you all at end of October

• I ran 7 miles today in the rain, just think I am going to do 10min miles round course, really need to get mileage up

Do the victory 5 this sunday image

• Another 10 min miler here, i don't think i will ever run any faster.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

It's great to see that there are so many of us out there!

• NellyP - 10 min/mile plod !? You sound like a speed merchant to me!image Would be great to do GSR in under 100 mins again, but it won't be this year.

4 weeks until we start looking out for our racepacks!image

• The dog chewed mine up last year, don't know why they never normally touch the post or chew anything but they went mad for the timing chip and it was destroyed. Please god let me be in the house when this years arrives so i can rescue it before they get to it.

• Green Fairy at least you've got the excuse of running in fancy dress, my only excuse is the weight of the belly I have to carry around image

• NellyP - costume is very light and sewn onto a running vestimage.  I, too, am accompanied by my 'belly buddy'.  But like the arctic ice he is disppearing (but a lot slowerimage)image

Anyone doing a 10k in the run up to 28th Oct?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Green Fairy - I think everyone has something that they don't like or would like to improve! image I like the outfit though!

• I am doing the Vitcory 5 in portsmouth this sunday, there is the RNLI 10k or 8 miler 7th october in portsmouth but I am on nights and cant do itimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Azita - you're breaking T&C by advertising your charity on here.

• Dont see the harm in that post myself, They arent advertising the charity they are advertising the places they have on offer for the race !
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Karl - it's not about the harm in the post - it's that they are breaking forum rules which they agreed to when they signed up. They're not offering free places - they're looking for people to raise money.

• ive relied on charity places for quite a few races i have run, and wouldnt have got those places without somebody advertising them. If thats against rules, well its just silly. Blatant requests for money / sponsorship i agree would contravene the rules and we dont want them. However opportunities to enter a race that is otherwise full may appeal to some readers.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Rules are rules. If we want to post here - we need to abide by them. If you want to petition to get them changed - start a thread about it.

• well ive read the T&Cs from start to finish, and cant see anywhere where it says you cant advertise a race place. If its against the rules then so be it...
  • Sorry, I didn't realise that I was breaking the rules. One of our supporters just told me that this would be a good place to advertise our places. Sorry for any offence caused. I will try and remove my earlier comment (if possible).

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Karl - The specific part of the T&C you're looking for is: section E (Provisions Applicable to Registered Users) point 16 (e).

Getting back to topic - will anyone be wearing fancy dress this year?

• Emmy_bug - No, I always wear this as everyday clothing...image

• I thought I'd look up what the fuss was about re azita's posting but can't find it now so she must have deleted it.  But there are two earlier postings which, in my eye, should not be on here.  Yes they are offering places but at a (sponsorship) price.

However if I were running for a charity and a regular user of the RW forums I don't see the harm of mentioning your charity or justgiving page as friends on here may well want to sponsor you.

Steps back and waits for the flackimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @green fairy... You never know - you might wear that outfit on other special occasionsimage

The "harm" of mentioning your charity you'll notice around VLM time. If everyone mentioned the charity that they were running for and asking for sponsorship - there'd be no space for anything else! I know what some people have done is say: I'm running for charity - if you'd like to sponsor me - pm me and I'll send you the details. What the forum has also done is have one dedicated thread for peoples pitches for sponsorship., so it doesn't flood the forum. I thought that was a good idea.

I'm not here to discuss whether the forum rules are right or wrong - if we want to use the forum - we need to abide by them.
  • Emmy_bug - Mmm...perhaps we could continue the chat while running a 10 miler together towards the end of October.  Any suggestions where?image

I hope more people turn up than on this forum otherwise it will be a bit sparse!  Perhaps to make it look good on tv they'll make us all run together in a huddle.  I for one have never worn one so I don't know if it would impair my runningimage

• If last year was anything to go by there may be a couple more people there image