Options

Great South Run 2012

Comments

• Options

Must admit I struggle with any sports drinks couple of gels and straight H2O for me.

• Options

H2O for me too. Went out for a run last night, which clocked in at 10.8 miles. Loads of hills and wind too as I'm working in Pembrokeshire this week. At least I know GSR is a flat course, so that should be easier - even with the wind in the last couple of miles. Woops, sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned the wind (refferring to previous posts).

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I'll only drink water too... Great running David!

How was the run Julia?
  • Options

Good run today thanks Emmy, still trying to avoid walking and managed it today although just 5K. Hopefully when I've shifted the lurgy it will be better.

Am just gutted that I let all my training last year go and am really starting from scratch all over again. How is your Mum getting on with her training?

• Options

3 mile jog yesterday and 5 mile tempo today (well my version of tempo image)  both in torrential rain ......... think I may be ready for whatever Southsea seafront decides to throw at us this year !!!!

• Options

Powerade is coolimage Just like my new photo which for some reason the RW gremlins have launched into cyberspaceimage I like the tropical poweradeimage Look for it in supermarkets if you want to get used to it but wait for the half price offers if you can.  For a 10 mile run just water is not enough.

• Options

Hi all

This is my first run, I have a few question which i am hoping someone who has done before could answer

depending what wave you r in, do u all have to be there at a certain time? ie if you are in green wave 10.55 warm up do u have to b there at 8?

what do u do with your bags, i know they say we can put into a babbage area but when do u put them in? ie if u have jumper on before warm up or have money on u etc

last one i think - if the weather is not as nice as we r hoping how do u keep your phones/ipods dry? I have an arm band and wanted to take phone so i knew pace etc but worried it could get soaked 

thanks for replies x 

hope u all have a good run x

• Options

Jac's - the baggage area is inside the Pyramids sports centre - you'll need to put everything in before you enter your pen.  Try not to have too much money or other expensive stuff in there - although I'm sure it is perfectly safe.  Advice would be to wear an old sweatshirt or something that you can throw away when the gun goes.  Also, depending on the weather, take a bin-bag or 'disposable' raincoat, as you'll be in the pen for quite a while before you start. 

Regarding timings - they do ask you to line up exceptionally early for this race, I usually get in my pen about 30 minutes before the start (but then again I'm not desperate to be at the front of my pen).

I use an armband for my iPod - which does get wet (as it does with sweat on a dry day!), and I find that is OK.

Hope this helps - enjoy the day........ and the wind in the last 2 miles (Oh bugger, there I go again ...ssshhhhh!!!) 

• Options

ok thanks  

next question is if u r in pen for a while before race, when do u get a chance to use the loo. lol sorry 

Do u need anything else while waiting in pen? ie drink 

I am really looking forward to it(wind alwell lol) but as its my first run so confused and nervous too lol image 

• Options

First thing to say is - DON'T BE NERVOUS !!!  It's all about having fun and soaking up the atmosphere with lots of like-minded people !!  Using the loo is an age-old game to play - you need to be reasonably well-hydrated so you need to drink before the race, but you don't want to run with a full bladder !!  being a bloke (!), I get to use urinals so there's not TOO much of a queue, but for the ladies there ARE plenty of toilets but also plenty of queues as well.  Only you can judge when is the right time to 'go' !!!

I always take a drink into the pen with me, but then again I always run with a drink anyway, so it's more a habit thing than a necessity.  There are water and sports drink stations around the course so you don't NEED to take any with you really ...

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Completely agree with the others! image

A few hints:

- Baggage area is secure to the extent that only runners are allowed in. But apart from that - you're putting them in areas. As Clatters said - dont put anything of value in there.

- Loos: There are some in the pyramid centre and around the start. If you get there earlier - you'll have plenty of time to queue for the loo (which you'll do)

- Getting to the start: Ideally head to the pen 15-30 mins before hand to give yourself time to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. For Green - i'd be there around 10 and then loo/baggage for 45 mins and then head to the pens. There will be lots of people around so just be aware that things will take longer than you initially expect.

- In the pen: Its up to you... a drink/old jumper etc. For me, it depends on the weather. If its cold - i'll wear an old jumper to throw away - if it's sunny - i'll not have anything except my running gear.

- What do you need en route? You! Water and sports drink is provided but if you've done something in training (e.g. gels) or like to wear a jumper etc - its up to you. I would say the one thing you need to be aware of if it's your first race is the other runners. It can be a little packed at the start and for the first first miles so take it easy - enjoy the atmosphere and take it at your own pace.

- Keeping things dry: I have a bumbag and i put my phone in a sealable bag (like you'd use for sandwiches) to keep it dry and away from sweat/gels etc. Be aware that Ipods are discouraged along the route so if you need to wear one - use one ear only. Last year they seemed OK with it - but I noticed a few runners getting a talking to from Marshalls for not listening to instructions.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Most of all - enjoy it! Talk to people, hi-5 kids along the route and be apart of it!

• Options

thats brilliant thanks for replies. image

• Options

8 miles yesterday but ankle feels sore this morning, looks like a couple of days of ice & strapped up to see what happens image

• Options

NellyP have you tried biofreeze? its a roller or you can apply it as a gel, works the same as an ice pack

• Options

Thanks Zoe I might give that a try. Been strapped up all day and feels a bit better so hopefully it's just a case of me panicking as it's only three weeks to go. Going to take another rest day tomorrow and see what Tuesday brings.

• Options

Well my friends I was going to come on here this evening and be totally selfish and tell you all about my long training run today.  However, as my mechanic has let me down and I won't have a car to drive 75 minutes down to the GSR I thought I would look up the train times.  Be ok I thought as Horsham is on the direct line from Victoria and also London Bridge to Portsmouth.

Howeverimage

Those with the infinite wisdom have deemed that engineering works will take place on 28th October between Barnham and Havant which means a break of an hour to take a bloomin bus between those two stations.  This means that I shall be able to get to Portsmouth at 10.10 at the earliest! No earlier trains!

Now for me it shouldn't be too much of a problem as I'll try to hitch a lift with members of a local running club I shall be joining soon anyway.  But I would advise anyone planning to get to Portsmouth by train to double check their travel details.

I'm off to find a cat to kick (a metaphorical cat)image

• Options

So now for the serious stuffimage.

Went out for a 7 mile run yesterday.  All run except for drink walks at 3 and 5 miles to simulate race day.  Walked for almost 4 minutes in total while drinking.  My time was 76 minutes so pleased with speed as original target was 12 minute miling on race day.  Legs a bit tired today but that's to be expected.

Am feeling the usual mixture of excitement and nervousness as we approach race day.  Only 20 days away!!!image

This is the time when any niggles and tweaks cause concern so I hope anyone with one is recovering well.

• Options

Yeah spot on Green Fairy, my ankle feeling much better but the closeness of race day makes you notice every little twinge which you normally would just ignore.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Well done Green Fairy and a great way to simulate race day (note to self - remember that....). Thanks for the tip about the train - we normally travel from Woking so will need to replan it a little

@nelly - great to hear that your ankle is better.

How is everyone else getting on? All ready for race day?
  • Options

Emmy_H - I think if you're travelling by train from Woking you'll miss the engineering works. Hope soimage

Have contacted my local running club this evening so hopefully they will be running at least a minibus.

• Options

Really annoyed that I didn't win any money after buying a certain brand of tea bags.  I'll get that monkey!image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lol, there's always next time Green Fairy!

Did anyone else receive the email that the race packs have been sent? It's all getting very close!

• Options

I did one ten mile run last week, have not run yet this week due to work so hopefully will go for a run on saturday, not long now!

I am also taking my 6 year old to do the kids race on the saturdayimage

• Options
    Emmy_H wrote (see)
    Well done Green Fairy and a great way to simulate race day (note to self - remember that....). Thanks for the tip about the train - we normally travel from Woking so will need to replan it a little

@nelly - great to hear that your ankle is better.

How is everyone else getting on? All ready for race day?

Emmy_h I was thinking of getting train from woking to but when i looked at time table it would get me there in time. Which train were u thinking of catching or what time arrival? 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Jac's -i'll have a look and get back to you. I know that last year we arrived *just* in time but will need to check.

• Options

@emmy_h  sorry was meant to say wouldn't get there in time unless i caught late train night before. thanks

• Options

Ok now I'm really feeling paranoid!!! Went for easy 3 mile run last night and about an hour later got terrible pain in my shins (assume this is the dreaded shin splints) kept me awake most of the night but has calmed down today.

So the dilema is to rest or train for the last two weeks image

• Options

Emma_H - I received the email about my race pack being with me within the next 5 working days - amesomeimage

First train from Horsham (at 8:08) on 28th will arrive at Portsmouth and Southsea station (1.3 miles from start) at 10:11 after the hour on the busimage.  I expect to be in Green coral which has a starting time of 11:05 so if I get to the Pyramids bag drop-off by 10:45 I should be ok.  But the female elite will have started by then and it may be tricky getting through crowds and across race route.  Am I sounding nervous or paranoid or both!image.  Alternative would be to go down saturday and stay in b&b if I can find one.  Hope Horsham Joggers take me under their wing.  Yes definitely both!!image

NellyP - get some info on shin splints to see if that is what you have and then sort out any treatment necessary.  I'm sure you'll be ok.  Maybe just a rest for a few days will do the trickimage

• Options

hi, i have a place for great south run but unable to take part, if anybody wants please contact me nessradford@hotmail.com