Great South Run 2012

Comments

• Wot no e-mail for me, now I'm really feeling paranoid image

• I've had the email earlier today, so I'll be keeping an eye open for the postman. I've been up in Avonmouth working this week, so went out for 9 miles on Tuesday followed by 5 miles on Weds after work. Thats the great thing about my job... Every week, I'm running somewhere different!. It will be a shock running on my home patch for a change!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi David, well done! I'm the same with my job. I'm "lucky" that I get to explore many european cities by running them!

• Got my race pack today, white wave!

• Zoe, what did you put as your estimated time?
  • I did it in 1:37:00 last year so I think I actually put 1:40:00 for this years time

• I had never done 10 miles when i signed up so I put 1:45.. But did it on 1:35 last week... Hope I'm not in the green wave..
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @clarinho - what's wrong with the green wave?image
  • Apparently if you are trying to get a "good" time it's not ideal to be in the green wave as a lot of people in the green wave are running a bit slower .. Nothing wrong image just want to try to do it in 1:30
  • Except for those at the very front of the first wave from what I've heard this race is not good for a good time.  Many in the each wave seem to start walking very early on.  Also there is the congestion at the start for a while so you may have to slow down or even walk in the first mile.

PS Green wave is coolimage

Howeverimage The GF gremlins have been getting stuck into me again so soon before racedayimage I had a cough and cold a couple of weeks ago and I seemed to have recovered ok but the cough has persisted and I'm leg weary.  In my job I am walking around and up and down stairs all day (not a bus conductor!) and can walk 8+ miles in a shift so don't get any rest even if I don't go for a run.  So I have dropped my two weekday runs for this week and will see how I feel on monday about going out for a run.  My theory being to recover as much health as possible so that I can do the race. Then I can have a week off work wearing my tshirt and medalimage.  Fingers crossedimage

• Green Fairy sounds like we're on similar training plans for last two weeks, shin's been realitively ok last couple of days so may try a short run tomorrow to see what reaction is, as with you I think it's going to be a case of relying on what training I've already got in the bank and using the last couple of weeks to try and ensure I'm fit enough for the day.

Those worrying about times I would suggest just accepting the first mile is going to be slow (possibly even walking) but after that it's nice and flat and the crowds thin out so a reasonable time is achievable (Provided your not carrying years of hard earnt beer belly like me)

• I've got a place and am unable to run. If anyone interested Please mail me on stephhearn@hotmail.co.uk
  • My next door neighbour has just received an email from a charity offering him a spot for £3 without any need to raise any sponsorship.  Maybe a price reduction next year?

• I posted earlier for advice about how to travel to the race from Brighton. I had decided to take the train however one of the members of my running club told me about the Nirvana  coach service from Brighton straight to the race, so I've booked with them. They also go from London, Southampton and Reading.

I got my race pack today and I'm starting to feel quite excited. I'm in the white wave and I'm hoping to run in under 1:40

• In my experience of this race, 6th time for me I have to say apart from the elite wave the white and green will have people who walk the ten miles, This will be the first time I will have run with a garmin and I will be interested to see how much I actually run by the time you have to run round people.

I have accepted this is not a race for personal best times but more for experience and the atmosphere. This seems to be a race for many that have never done ten miles before and I can see why as it might be unsettling when you go to a club run and everyone seems so fast!

The bit I dont like is winston churchill ave, the bit where you see the runners coming back along the road!

• Zoe - here's some mind games for you when you get to Winston Churchill Avenue .... Just concentrate on getting to that roundabout, totally ignoring those going the other way.... BUT your reward when you get there is to look at all the runners now behind you going the other way, and congratulate yourself for getting to the roundabout so easily. By the time you get back to the Uni you'll have got over your fear and also be a mile nearer the end !!

For the record, every time I've done this race (4 times), I've always been in the Orange wave and you still get walkers and people way out of their league in that one too. Not that I'm in any way super-fast myself, but it is always this race that seems to wind me up about people putting themselves in the wrong wave. Still, I'm over it (!) and I'm happy to try and just get a decent time rather than chase a PB. My advice - just enjoy the race, it's a great course, good support, and hardly windy at all in the last 2 miles !!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks.

Just pencilling together a plan for myself and a pal.

We have an 80mile drive, and would be thinking about leaving say 7.45, and arriving 9.15ish? (Any earlier and how do you eat for example, needless to say the coaches ive seen mentioned sound super early!).

Picking one of the furthest car parks and walking in, or even getting a train from a stop or 2 out are considerations.

Anyone got any pros and cons of either approach?

• Stevie G - if you are not in a hurry to get away quick after the race then I would drive in and park on the common (usually £3-00). This option is also very handy if it is bucketing down with rainimage.  Be ready for a long queue of traffic when coming into the City.

Don't know where you are travelling from but bear in mind the engineering works on the railway between Barnham and Havant if you want to park at a station.

Where's my runners pack then?image

• Have to agree with Zoe you're going to get people walking whichever wave you are in. This year I'm running with 3 GSR novices (so expect to get dropped down from White to Green) so my task this year is to get them around (whether I stick to that once the race adrenaline kicks in we"ll have to see).

As I've said in a previous post, parking is pretty much a case of which inconvienance do you want to put up with, and Green Fairy's point about the rain is a good one.

• I would love to beat last year's time but it amazed me how many people walked straight away and you then spend ages trying to find a decent pace!!  My garmin said 10.2 miles last year but I assume it's 10 the way the crow flies and not the way I run (dodging around everyone!).

I haven't received my pack either but had an email that it had been sent last week. However, last year mine didn't arrive till the Thursday before the run and I was VERY stressed about it! The last thing I wanted to do on the morning of the run was to find the place to register and get a new number .......hoping for it in the post soon.image

• Yeah Jellybaby I couldn't believe how many people were walking almost from the start. I know the event is meant for everyone but if your not even going to try and run it then surely you should look elsewhwere after all it is called the Grreat South RUN.

Mind you my 10 min mile run is probably slower than a lot of peoples walking pace image

• NellyP wrote (see)

Mind you my 10 min mile run is probably slower than a lot of peoples walking pace image

LOL etc I can certainly relate to that commentimage And more so as my target will be 12 minute miling!image

Big day for me tomorrow as considering seeing doc about my health.  I've improved the last two days and plan to go for a 3 miler well wrapped up tomorrow in the sunshine!  However given the history I shall see a doc tomorrow.  If they say 'don't run yet' then I would be foolish to ignore that advice.

Panicking over no race pack but have only had 3 working days (4 if you count saturday as mail delivered) at most so relaxed about it nowimage Until wednesday!image

Hope all those niggling injuries and tickly throats out there are behaving themselves.  This time in two weeks................................it will be all overimage

• runlozrun wrote (see)

My next door neighbour has just received an email from a charity offering him a spot for £3 without any need to raise any sponsorship.  Maybe a price reduction next year?

Just a thought on this message. I'm concerned that a 'too good to be true' offer is being made. Usually they are just that!  Is it a proper charity? May be a scam trying to get you to send bank details so they can deduct the £3...............and all the rest of your balance!image

UPDATE - I Googled 'GSR for £3' and it came up with the 'Getkidsgoing' charity who are most certainly advertising places at £3! No minimum fundraising either! This charity has been going for a while and usually offer good incentives for anyone raising money for them.  Maybe this year they just haven't had much interest from runners.

BTW Brighton night half-marathon is on the saturday night (27th) so maybe local runners opting for that.  You get a free head torch!!!!!!image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all, Apologies for being offline - I ran a half marathon yesterday and was travelling home.

Welcome to the new people on the thread!

I think that's one of the things that frustrates me in all races - people who do not respect the pens. I'm slow - so i'll start back where I should be... saying that - i've seen a lot of people running super fast and budging people out of the way.

Our race packs have arrived and I'm hoping that my mum's training continues to progress. It looks like she'll be doing a run-walk strategy.

• I have got a really bad cold and have not been able to do my last long run (17 K) which I was meant to do yesterday.. I am sure I will be fine by next weekend but not sure if I should still do the last long one when I get better even if that's not until this weekend, is that a bit close to the actual race..? image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Clarinho - what's your race experience? How long have you been running (sorry if you've already answered this). I think it depends on the type of runner you are. Normally - i'd do a 7 miler this weekend but see how you feel. If you're not healthy - don't do it.

• hi image GSR is my second race.. I have been running for about 6 months and recently I have been doing a long run (8-10 miles) every weekend... I was meant to do a 10.5 mile run yesterday but I'm not feeling well at all so I didn't do it.. This week I am meant to start "slowing down" and just do a 6 mile run this weekend but I am worried that I haven't done a last proper long run.. But I suppose it might be a bit late to do that as I might be a bit tired on the day then... Maybe I should just do a 6-7 mile run this weekend if I am feeling OK..? getting a bit worried.. image

• Got my pack through! In the orange wave image Haven't been able to train properly what with work and illness. Most I've managed is a 10k though that felt ok and I felt like I could do more. Will do another 10k tonight and Friday and try a 8 miler on Sunday.

Already looking forward to in though - this is my favourite event - the people of Pompy make it!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Clarinho - You'll be worse off if you try and push it and do 10.5 this weekend. Rest up and let your legs and the adrenaline from the day carry you over. If you've been doing 8-10 miles every weekend - you'll be fine on race day. If you had said - i've been running 2 months, a maximum run of 4 miles -i'd suggest a different stategy image

• Emmy H sums it up nicely - people should 'respect' the pens.  I'm all for people of ALL abilities taking part - that's what makes events like this, and gives them atmosphere, fun and a sense of achievment for all.  But they should 'respect' what they can and can't achieve.  After all, it can't be fun for them when they are walking from the 0.5m point with 1,000's of people jostling past them for the next 9.5m.  I know it happens in all races (sadly), but for some reason it seems more prevalent in this one ??