Options

Great South Run 2012

Comments

• Options

@Emmy_H thank you, feels a bit better now image

received my race pack today. I am in the white wave image so excited now (and nervous)! can't wait image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Clatters - I think it's partly because they're not enforced. At most races I go to - the bib colour means you're in the pen with that colour and no exceptions. You can be white and move back to green but not the other way around.

@Clarinho - You'd be suprised how much fitness your body can retain.

• Options

I went for a 9 mile run yesterday, longest run since this time last year!! It was hard, the last 2 miles my legs felt like jelly but I'm glad I managed it. Legs stiff today but my cold bath definitely helped the recovery. I was only going to do 8.5miles so I'm happy I pushed myself a little more. Planning a 10mile attempt this weekend in preparation for the big day!

• Options

And, I've only got to raise another £40 and I'm at my target so that's great too image

• Options

Yeah Emmy - they do enforce that rule at the GSR, but it's the people who register having never done any exercise to date that think that "by October I'll be able to do it in an hour!!" and register as such, and therefore get theor orange bib, and even then want to start at the front of the orange wave !! 

I sound like an old whingy git moaning - I'm not - and I'm certainly not the fastest or most competetive person in the orange wave, but it's all about respecting each others enjoyment of the race.  For example, I'm aiming for 1:15 finish (7.5 min/mil), so there's no way I'll put myself at the front of the orange pen amongst those who are looking at 6 min/mil, because I know I'd only get in their way and make things difficult for them, etc.  It's all about respect !! 

I'll stop now !!

• Options

@clatters You don't sound like "an old whingy git moaning"!!

I had never done a race before when I registered so I checked what the average time is as I consider myself as an "average person" and I put just less than the average time (1:45).. I now know that I will most likely finish in 1:35 or so..

• Options

Just got my race pack though - in the orange wave!! Excited now, and did a 9 miler on Saturday - going to do an 8 mile race next Sunday with speed/interval work and shorter runs inbetween. 

Also going to the reading marathon in the Guildhall on the Saturday afternoon before the race which looks good, and means I can sit down all afternoon listening to the speakers and not feel guilty!

• Options
    Thanks clarinho (love the name!), glad I don't come across as moany!! You've got the right idea about your time, so why can't others ?! I genuinely hope you can 'pick people off' and beat even your 1:35 !!
  • Options

hansyhobs - why not do a shorter run this weekend so that you will be in good shape for raceday? You need to taper even for a 10 miler.

matt d - if you feel you will not be as quick as you thought you would be I seem to remember that you are allowed to drop back a pen or two.  It is going forward in pens which they frown upon.

Yay! race pack came today! In Green pen so shall be colour coordinatedimage. Visit to doc was positive and although he confirmed a chest infection he only gave me a one week course of antibiotics,  He said I could run in 2 or 3 days time as the tablets will have begun to take effect and 3 miles would be fine.

How about a meet up time and point for before the race to say 'Hi' to each other?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Clatters - you're not moany! I feel the same!

Green Fairy - Great to hear that you had good news from the doc.

I'd love to meet up beforehand with anyone that's interested. Last year we missed each other but that could be where we chose to meet...maybe Jelleybaby can remember a nice place?

• Options

Morning all - all I can remember is queuing for the loo!!! But, yes, if it can be managed it would be lovely to put faces to names. I'm walking from Southsea station to the start and need to put bag in the Pyramid centre, not sure how easy it is to spot people in the masses - we'd have to be very specific about when and where - worth having a go though!

Been out this morning - blowing a gale down here today with really high tides - quite exciting but I hope it's not like this for the run........

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Jelleybaby - what about the bag check itself? So just outside the Pyramid centre?

If the race starts at 10.30 - we could meet at 10.00?

• Options

One year forumites wore green ribbons to show that they were RW forum members but it would have worked better if we had arranged a meeting place and time as well.  Need a Plan B for if the weather's bad.  How about just iinside the Pyramids' lobby!?

The Runners World stand would have been ideal but they don't have anything to do with this eventimage

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Green fairy - the issue with meeting just inside is that in bad weather - EVERYONE will be in there avoiding it. I like the idea of a green ribbon on the wrist.

So - if we have 10am in/outside the pyramid centre?

• Options

Hey guys! It's my first ever GSR! In fact - its my first running event - ever! I got my pack yesterday and am in the Green wave as when I applied there was no way I'd ever see myself running 10 miles.

Monday this week I completed a 9.28 mile run in 1 hour 39 mins and I'm £3 off of raising £150 for Mind image

• Options

Wow fantastic NoPain_NoElaine, well done for the running and the fundraising! Welcome to the GSR and come and see us at the Pyramid centre 10am race morning image

• Options

still haven't received my race pack or email yet getting alittle worried, as this is my first run and really don't want to sort out replacement on the day!!

I put in to do the run at about 2 hours, as I was only doing 6-7miles when enter (3 weeks ago) now I have been out and done a 9miler in 1.40 image

Have already rasied my target about £250 (min for charity place) so all is going well apart from pack, do I phone and enquire or wait alittle longer??   

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Jac - Wait until mid next week before calling them. There are always a few late ones. Worst comes to worse - you can pick it up on the day

• Options

Hi All, I have a spot available if anyone knows of anybody looking for one.  If you do DM me. I'm local so you can pick it up close to race day if necs.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@JoGoSlow - you know that you're not allowed to sell/pass on bibs right?.... but let's be positive: Why aren't you joining the crazy crew and running with us?

• Options

Is it my imagination, or are the bib numbers printed on normal - albeit thick - paper? I didnt get the sense of the rip-proof stuff you can see in the elegant picture on the left.....

I dont see these are going to stay attached with my lumbering and flapping image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Dave - they seem "normal" and actually thicker than last year!

• Options

Emmy_H Yep, well aware, but it still happens.

I've done 5 already, training has been pretty poor over the past few weeks so probably wouldn't do any better than last year, and to be honest I fancy going out and doing some cheering for a change!

If I don't get rid of it I may still rock up to teh start line, but I hate the feeling that I haven't given it my best shot, know what i mean? 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi JGS - Am more than aware. I just wanted to point it out... especially after the GNR this year - they're really hotting up on people selling places.

I know what you mean about giving it your best. It must be difficult. I hope that we'll see you on the start line - if nothing else - to enjoy and support runners on the way round!

I'll be hanging out in Green and helping my mum arund the course. The GSR is not about speed - it's about helping others and giving them support.... but maybe that's just me?

• Options

Emmy_H. Those are such inspiring words. As I said before, its my first time. I've seen a few comments before about this not being great for Personal Bests. Well, for me, any time is a PB. Its the atmosphere I'm looking forward to. Race pack has arrived today and my charity running top (Alzheimers Society) arrived last week as well. Cant believe its getting close now. Love the idea of everyone getting together and putting faces to names, or names to faces (you know what I mean).

• Options

JoGoSlow - pitch up on the day and have a pleasant jog around the course in friendly company and crowdsimage We'll be pleased to see you. If you don't run I am sure you will wish you had done so.

also you have paid your not cheap entrance fee and there is a goodie bag, tshirt and medal 'with your name on it' out there somewhere right now which will be waiting for you on the day.........image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

not quite excited by this one just yet...maybe because the pack hasn't turned up yet.

And probably, maybe because I have another flat fast 10miler, this sunday!!

• Options

I've just had a sneaky peek at a couple of long range weather forecasts for 28thimage

Both have it as cloudy with a bit of sun but with a nip in the air of 10C at around 10 o'clock.

But we never count chickens with the British weather, do we folks!image

• Options
    Sounds perfect GF.....