Options

Lazeegirl Challenge #2 Tough Mudder

Comments

• Options
    Oh hell I am hungover. Horribly horribly hungover.
  • Options

Aww, Tom, poor you!  How are you feeling now? 

I felt great this morning.  It's such a beautiful day here, so I went for a long ramble in the woods for a few hours with my mum and our dogs.  I think we did about 8 miles.  It's been nice re-visitng some of the routes I found when I did the marathon training.  I have a much fitter lifestyle that I did before I started that training.  But I could still do a lot better! 

Right now, I'm scoffing After Eights that my son bought me for Mother's Day.

Hope you're at least starting to feel a bit more normal by now, Tom. 

• Options

Ok, I've gathered my strength enough to focus and read properly.

Congrats on the conference and bursary, how's the post-doc plans going?

80 press ups is good going, certainly tougher for me than 13 miles. My side strain has finally cleared up, so I think I better get working on core/strength stuff again. It's "only a 10k" next weekend, but I'm feeling pretty nervous about it, I've been struggling with speed recently, and had a pretty dissapointing parkrun yesterday, so I might have to push aside plans of a PB. Plus my family are going to be there, which is unusual for me, I'm usually without support at races.

Jessie was indeed robbed, but I was impressed with how much she said she was running, was it 5-10k a day?Going from where she started to (approx?) 25-30 miles a week in half a year is some going!

Do you have plans today?

• Options

Getting better, junk food helps once you can stomach it.

Ramble in the woods with dogs sounds good, although scoffing After Eights sounds better! I usually return home for Mother's Day, think this is the first time in a  few years I haven't, still judging by the lack of phone answering no one is home anyway!

Not tempted to dust off the running shoes a few weeks early?

• Options

Lazze girl

i think u love me really image

• Options

Yes, Mick, you know I do! image

Glad to hear you're starting to feel a bit better, Tom.  I hope you do a good time next week.  don't worry too much about a wee 5K parkrun the week before.  There's still a good chance of a PB next week.  That would be good, with your family there.  Just don't go overboard on the post-race celebrations! image

As for my postdoc research funding - I applied for 2 major grants, got nowhere with the first one.  There was over 1000 applications for around 40 grants, so wasn't too hopeful.  I think this next one has about the same odds, but they did invite me to make a full application.  Their funding committee doesn't meet until May though, so in the meantime, I'm turning my thesis into a book.  I've just written a novel too (just to do something a bit different).  Even if I don't get the grant, i want to do this piece of research, which I'll write up as some papers or a book, so I'll just have to take some kind of job to fund myself.

I have been wanting to "dust off [my] running shoes early", yes.  I have been running during my military fitness, just short  jogs and sprints though, so I should be a bit fitter.  I need to practise distance running.  I will have to start getting up a couple of hours earlier in the morning so that I can run before working on the paper.  Sounds like a plan!

Will let you know how I get on.  Let me know how the training/race goes. 

• Options

you beautiful Aberdeeny

or is it Glaswegeny

• Options

HI LG, hope you've had a good weekend.

Have just got back from the 10k/weekend back home. Ducked under my 50 minute target so overall feeling pleased with myself. More than anything it's good to have done a race again after so long away.

How's training going?

Sounds like you're keeping yourself busy whilst waiting for the decision, if you can get some stuff published in the mean time that's got to look good right?

With that, preparing for the conference (soon?) and not to mention your foray into the novel writing world (doing a Ph.D too easy/too much free time?!) I'm surprised you have any time to fit any training in at all!I count myself fairly lucky, in that as long as I get the job done, my supervisor and most of my department don't really care where I'm doing it, or at what hour of the day, if it wasn't for that I'm not sure how I'd have got the miles in during these dark winter months.

Hope you are well.

• Options

Tom, under 50 mins for your 10k - that's brilliant! Well done! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

And I think that this is a first Sunday post where you haven't been moaning about being hungover?  image  I had a bit of a hangover this morning.

I finished my PhD a few months ago, that's why I have so much free time now to write, but I will be starting a p/t job (2 split shifts a day) after the conference.  The conference is in a week's time.  I'm dreading it because I haven't spoke in public for years.  Even writing a paper to say is a lot different to just writing one for publication.

There is so much more I want to do, but I never seem to have enough time.  And I'm incredibly lazy!

I had a wee suprise at my fitness class on Saturday because they put on a military style obstacle course for us.  It was a tiny course - less than half a mile even (I'm hopeless with distance) - and I found it quite tiring.  all I could think was how I have completely underestimated a 10 mile Tough Mudder (sh*t, it's 12 miles!!!) .

I still haven't done any running outside the classes, but I have upped my walking.  I walked for over and hour yesterday and today, I was out for about 4 hours with the dog, but most of it, apart from a really steep hill, was very easy terrain. 

I'm glad your supervisor is flexible about your work times.  I just worked from home on my PhD.  So I was really lucky too.

It was 20-odd degrees here today.  It will be different learning to run in the sun if this keeps up!

Well done again for your 10k.  I hope your family enjoyed it? 

• Options

It is a rare hangover free Sunday for me, although I did have a celebratory beer at the end, impossible to resist, having a pub right at the exit to the race village, which I'd managed to do two laps of before I found where to drop my chip off.

Hungover?Big night last night?

In the end most of the family didn't make it, work commitments got in the way. Although my stepdad still managed to run, took 3 minutes off his PB so he's feeling pretty pleased with himself right now.

I'm afraid I can't offer many words of wisdom on the conference, I've (hopefully) got all that to come, never had to present anything more than a poster at a conference so far, but I'm sure you'll be fineimage, after all it is -your- work you're talking about.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mini-obstacle course. It'll take time to learn to combine strength exercises, with running, I'm pretty sure if I stopped to do a few press ups on my normal run it would ruin my time. You've done the strength training, next up running, the you just got to put them together, easy right?image

• Options

I didn't even go out last night (although I was invited out).  It was a rare child free evening, so I just stayed in and watched TV on catch-up (at a bit of a loss now The Biggest Loser has ended) and had a bottle of wine.  I din't mean to have the whole bottle!  That's why I had a hangover.

That's nice your stepdad ran too.  That must be good, having another runner in the family to swap stories with.  Glad you got a beer.  I remember in the last few miles of the marathon passing a pub and wanting to go in.

The difficulty I have even with writing this paper is that I know so much about my topic and want to say everything!  It's how to unpack just a few wee nuggests to tell someone who knows nothing about my subject that I find the hardest.  That, and speaking whilst still managing to breatheimage   I've given papers at 3 before, so I know I can get through thisimage  Somehow.

Going for a run and doing some press-ups!  We cou;d start a new craze.

Sleep for me now. 

• Options

Grr. Went in thinking I had a seminar to attend this morning at 11. Turned out I was told wrong, it wasn't till 3, would have enjoyed a little more sleep if I knew, was a long day what with the clocks going back yesterday. Hope your start to the week was better than mine?

Good you've got experience, but I know what you mean about knowing what to exclude and what limited amount to include. On the few occasions I've had to give a formal talk on my own research (admittedly, to my own department or industrial partners rather than at conferences) I've always struggled to cut down to the right amount. I've even been told I've been giving impromptu talks during poster sessions without my noticing it. I feel for anyone I've cornered in such situations.

I'm not convinced the sight of a red faced me struggling to do press ups before shuffling off slowly into the distance would start a craze, but feel free to try without me! Starting strength training again will happen, I'm just not sure when.

Wine=worst hangovers, I never learn though.

I think running with my stepdad has helped us get along better since I started, that and not living with each other anymore!He's trying to convince me to start swimming, but I'm resisting a little, I think I might have to start again from scratch. You much of a swimmer?

• Options

That's not a great start to the week, but it's over now.  Hope it gets better. 

No Tom, I'm not much of a swimmer.  I can swim, but it's a bit boring.  But you should get into it.  Add a bit of cycling and you'll be entering triathlons in no time! image

My conference  paper is looking in better shape now.  Luckyil I did a journalism course when I was doing the final edits of my PhD thesis, so I got used to writing for saying out loud and whittling stuff down a lot.  I'm a bit out of practice now though!  But I'm going to keep chipping away then record it ...and play it back when I'm out with the dog until I'm utterly sick of the sound of it again (like  my viva preparations!).  And I'll have to get a hair cut and my eyebrows done and find some respectable, business type attire...image

I've got my next fitness assessment with my training group on Saturday.  I hope I do better than last time.  If I do well enough, I might move up to the next group....

• Options

Reminds me to dig out "business attire" for next week.

Journalism course too, is there anything you didn't do?!

I have to say, triathlon is something that's crossed my mind in the past, a pipe dream if you will, but it's my lack of swimming ability that's always put me off, that and not owning a bike. image

Is there a benchmark for promotion?

Is the conference anywhere nice?

• Options

Are conferences ever anywhere nice?!  I'm not sure about the university, I've never been, but its in the Midlands (I've never been there either), so I can't say.

I've just recorded the draft of my paper.  Somehow, halfway through, instead of going down a page, I managed to go back to the top of the screen and had to pause and find where I had stopped.  With all that flaffing about, I took 24 minutes.  I've now cut a few chunks off.  I want to get it down to a more comfortable 15-17 minutes so that I can pause and look up and pretend I'm ad-libbing image

Tom, I have done far too many courses, but remember that I'm really old - probably almost twice your age, so you have plenty of time to catch up!

Maybe you could get a bike on freecycle (or whatever it's called nowadays), but then you would have to find the time to ride that, swim AND run.  But could be tricky to find time, with your teaching and research.

Benchmark for promotion to the next vest at the training classes?  I'm not sure - I know you have to be able to run a mile and  a half, do 10 full press-ups and sit-ups at a time, but I'm not sure what time you have to do the run in. 

• Options

I'm in Oxford next week, which could be worse, but no you're right, they can be in terrible places. I spent a week last October in a dire hotel just outside of Frankfurt. Hosted by a great research establishment mind you, so pros and cons I guess. Midlands aren't so bad, but it can be a bit of a lottery.

You're not quite twice my age, I'm not that young. Would be impressive to be getting a PhD before my 20th birthday though!

I think the 15-20 hours I do on top of my research, plus running is about my limit. My supervisor once told me he didn't care if I was doing my work remotely from a beach somewhere, but I think doing the work from a bike, or poolside, might be too far.

Sounds like you're being forced into our running and press-ups craze a little earlier than planned, you got a target time?

• Options

I should set running targets!  Okay, I think a 10 minute mile is realistic...

Woohoo, Oxford next week!image image  I've heard that there is some lovely countryside/woods around the University, so perhaps you'll manage to even get a run in too.

• Options

You should, I'm holding you to ten minutes.

I've actually planned it as four days of rest, but I'm not sure I'll get by without any running, I'll definitely pack my running kit. Which university you at?

• Options
    I'm not at a University.  I'm trying to get a research position
  • Options
    No, I meant for the conference
  • Options

Hmm, few too many beers last night I fear, I was too excited by the prospect of a cool beer in the sunshine after work.image

Best put on the running shoes to go to a meeting, to organise another meeting about a meeting  ad infinitum.

• Options

well Tom, I did the mile in 8.24.  I think I can safely take at least 20 secs off that because we all went on the same start time, but 2 teams went off before mine did.  But it's still rubbish!  I've always got it in my mind, "pace yourself"; "slow down" - even for a mile! image  But never mind, it's done.  I also managed 44 (half) press-ups before it and I think 38 sit-ups, but I think my score might be worse than last time.  Will wait and see.

I'm going to move up a team level on Tuesday night and see if I can cope with the extra work.

How are you getting on? 

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    8:24. Wow. You're improving.
  • Options
    Tim, I don't know if that's sarcasm or not, but it's nice to hear from you. image
  • Options

If you kept that pace up for a mile and a half I think that would put you inside the time required for 17- 29 yo females in the military, so not bad going! image

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Oh. Sorry. No, it's genuine. I thought you were struggling last year with 10mins for the Edinburgh. While it's only for 1mile it still seems quite quick. That's got to be a sub 30min 5k.
  • Options

aww, thanks you two!  I realised again today that it's more mind over matter when it comes to running.  even on the mile, when most of the other people on my team stopped to walk, I wanted to stop too, but I knew I could do the mile.  Even though I still took it slow.  Same as with the 5k park run - you have to run it non-stop.  When I'm not doing anything specific though, I want to stop and walk after 2 minutes!   

I'll be away on the conference next week, but I'll start running once I get back.  I need to get up to 12 miles by July.  Have I left it too late?

• Options

I'm sure you'll manage to get back up to 12 miles by july, just start with a slow run for a reasonable amount of time- say 1/2 hour, with walk breaks if you need them, and build up from there. Why delay until after the conference? - Take your kit with you, there's bound to be either somewhere nice to run, or a gym you can access.

Just remember to start SLOWWWWwww.