Connemara Ultra 2012

2»

Comments

• Sorry but I'm with T-Rex here, large loops or point to point, I didn't even really like the Likeys Brecon ultra with 22 mile laps image

And when I said the most I can do on a tready is an hour I don't make a habit of it, I did a few individual hours on one a couple of years ago keeping a friend company on a 24 hour challenge but very little since
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Lirish - incredible!  I was going to say that exact same thing about that particular ultra.  With all the amazing route choices available, why go over the same bit twice??  I know the second lap is after nightfall.
  • Afternoon, having a quick look through the site and noticed the organisers allow some kind of drop bag system, apparently we can leave three items to be accessed somewhere on the course? Anyone who's done this before know how it works? Normal drop bag system or something else? And whereabouts on the course can we get them?
  • As regards bags I just had a look at the youtube videos and almost no-one was carrying any rucksack or even fuel belt so I'm begining to wonder about this too. the website says only that there will be possibility for three drops.

Yesterday I completed my longest individual run for this my first ultra: 31 miles with 541 m of climbing in 5:43 at average of 11:06 min/mi here. I was using a 10:1 run-walk ratio plus all upward hills mostly walked. I was being pretty conservative to make sure I could do the 50 km.

I used a Salomon Advanced Skin S-Lab 5 l shoulder sack with 8 gels, 1 sports bar, 1.5 l water with three Nuun salt tablets and 400 ml sports drink.This worked out pretty well I think as I only lost 1.7% of my starting body weight, but I'm wondering too how I can get this much nutrition or more onboard without a carrying device.

I tend to run with shorts with deep pockets, so maybe if there are three drops I could at any one time carry say 1/4 of the gel supply I like (say 3-4), 1 Nuun tablet (for 0.5 l) and one sports bar, get water from the stations and treat the food as extras. One could have three bag drops with the same gel and salt contents and maybe some blister plasters etc., and just hope they are reasonably distributed. Sound reasonable?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

According to the website our aid stations are at miles 5, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 26, 29, 32, 35, 37.  At the pre-race briefing there are large boxes labelled for us to put any items in to be taken to particular aid stations.  I think we are limited to any three.  The problem is packing your stuff in such a way that you can identify it when you get to the table in question during the race.

Another, bigger, problem is your stuff not being there when you arrive.  Not really a fault of the organisers, but the many full and half marathoners who will have gone through that station before you get there may take a liking to your goodies not realising an ultrarunner might be depending on it.

To avoid the dip in morale this could cause I always carry my stuff with me in shorter ultras and just rely on the water.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Everyone looking forward to this?  I'm flying out three weeks today.  Did a 28-miler today, and will be doing a 30 next week before tapering.

Looking for race pace about 9:20 miling and feeling reasonably confident this will be possible, for at least the first 26.2 anyway!  Will try keep going strongly up those hills but you never know how you're going to feel during that last 13.1.

• I'm looking fwd in a way except I've had a stinking cold this week that has gone to my chest. My plan calls for a 25/10 back to back this weekend but I'm not sure of the advisability of that. No good idea of time for the event itself either - worst case up to 7:15 hrs. Will just have to see how it goes. I really do want to get one more decent long run in though. Maybe i'll be ok if I don't do any high intensity stuff until the cold has fully cleared
  • Unfortunately I've paid bugger all attention to the fast approach of this and as is my wont I've done not a lot in prep. Hey ho though it was only ever a little wander around my home county seeing areas from my childhood
  • Off home tonight to spend some time with my folks before the run in Sunday, best wishes to all going, forecast looks quite good for the weekend
  • Almost finished packing, heading over on the ferry tommorrow to Belfast then driving down to Clfiden.

Very excited about this. Looking forward to covering some of the same ground as you 39milers image.

Good luck to everyone image.

• I got flu on sunday noght and am only now normal temp today. I'll still be travelling for the sake of a week's holiday, but maybe next year. I'll have to find a local ultra, but the trouble is the coming ones are longer.
  • Decided early this week that as I hadn't really trained for this just to run through and treat it as a training run. Gorgeous day out there if a little hot for me, can't believe I'm saying that about the west.
  • Wonderful day and a great post race party, we stayed until 1am and had loads of guiness. My mate Max came 6th and we were both treated like running gods as we had out t-shirts on and out partied most of the others who had just run the half!