Sunday 8th January 2012

...and the one night stands

Morning

not done any lyrics for a while i imagine most of us has one of these nearby hope to one day run there

What: 3.82 mile cycle/ a run of some description later
Why: base
Last Hard: that hill round the corner (i was tired)
Last Rest:  NYE

Comments

• Morning.

What:               LSR
    Why:                 it's Sunday?
    Last hard:       5/11
    Last rest:        30/12

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Morning - quiet forum today!

Warm enough to run in shorts and t-shirt today - unheard of for January!!  I loved it and felt like I was running freely without the trousers and tops and hats and gloves etc!

6 miles in 43:58 - very enjoyable! image 

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.
    Donaldo: Just looked up the book, it looks like a good read image

Yesterday completed a 9.5 hour hike up and around Table Mountain. Clearly a sensible thing to do the day before my 15 km relay (30 km in all, I only did 15 km). The "Bay to Bay". Started at 6am, I was doing the 2nd leg starting around 7:25. When we left the house it was 24 C with the sun not yet over the mountain, by the time I started running it was at least 28 C (it's now 35 or so). The 1st 3 km was all up hill on the side of the mountain, then we descended down along the coast road for about 10 km with a number of ups as we went, then another up for the last 2 km to the finish. I was hoping for under 1:30 but I got 1:34 and considering I had to walk up some of the 1st 3km hill I was pretty pleased with that. Was also amazed how cheap it was to enter which is always a bonus! The views were stunning as well which definitely made the whole thing more enjoyable!

Tomorrow another hike...this time only a couple of hours.

Have a good day all.

• Afternoon!

What: nothing
    Why: bench

Lyrics: no!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Emzap - sounds like you're having fun even if it sounds tiring Table mountain bet thats awesome

Back from a tiring 6.19 miles, was thinking about maybe 4 def no more than 5 last did 6 on Sept 25. and nothing over 3½ since

• MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    Afternoon,

Catching up on the week's events as I've not really had a chance to post during the week...

Sorry to hear life has been difficult Stickless... hope you have a lovely time in Singapore and China, and return to better things.

Nice to see you Donaldo, and congratulations on the book!

Alehouse - sorry to hear about the ending of the streak, but what an impressive streak it was! Rest well.

Great hike Emzap, sounds like you're having a fab time.

What: Just under 14 miles slow
    Why: LSR and proving a point to myself
    Last hard: Yesterday's DNF
    Last rest: Thursday
    Lyrics: No

So, yesterday I had my first DNF. (Have had a few DNSs, but this was so much harder). It was the Staffs XC Championships, on a 3-lap course just over 5k... I hadn't had a particularly difficult week (31 miles) but my legs felt heavy and I just wasn't breathing well. I pulled out in tears and hyperventilating with one lap to go - no idea why I'd started to panic so much, but I just couldn't carry on. With the VLM in just 15 weeks time I was seriously doubting my ability to train for another marathon, but my team mates and BF were brilliant - they all told me it was just one of those days and meant nothing in terms of my fitness or ability.

After 12 hours of sleep (which I must have needed!) I got up this morning and ran nearly 14 miles at about 8:45/mile... one minute per mile slower than target marathon pace, as the long runs should be. My legs still felt a bit heavy but I was breathing fine, not hard at all... before going out I told myself that this was a no pressure run, that I'd just start out slow and do what I could, but I also knew that managing a fairly long one would boost my confidence - and it has. Panic over. Now spending the day with the BF refuelling and resting.

Have a good afternoon/evening everyone.

• MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    Ooooh, and I meant to also mention that my club won!! Several teams came away with gold, including the ladies... despite feeling like a monumental failure I was very, very proud of them.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Alehouse: Sorry to hear about the break in the streak image
  • Pammie - that's great. Well done.

emzap - sounds like my kind of holiday.

Alehouse - i know it won't feel like it but the time will pass quite quickly and if it means that you can return to running to your potential it has to be worth it.

MadameO - sorry to hear that you had a day yesterday but glad you've proved to yourself that's all it was, one bad day.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    Thanks LMH, I certainly hope so!

Just checked the updated results and only three of our teams were first - some of the junior teams were second and third. Still pleased though image

Haven't stopped eating all day... now I feel like I'm marathon training again.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope you are OK MadameO

What - X trainer for an Hour
    Why - Rest req from running
    Last hard - ......
    Last rest from running 1 day

Take care

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

evening all

pammie nice to see you back and putting in the miles!

madame0, nice run today and just what you needed I imagine

nice running donaldo, crazy weather right now!

emzap wow we would have to go a long way to come out with  a run that sounds like yours!

what: 4 miles in the forest nice and easy

why: recovery, legs not too bad but bit heavy

last hard: yesterday race

last easy: friday

enjoy the sunday evening peeps!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Evening!

Back from mum's! Not the greatest visit as she has now lost her purse/credit card/building societ book/glasses etc! Not that she seems bothered! 

LMH: actually I'm not worried about breaking the streak at all! Just like to keep it going if I can as I have always thrived on the "habit" (or is it addiction?). 

Wabo:  forest sounds nice! That's when I do miss the running (says he after 3 missed days!).

MadameO:  great running today...you just have to put yesterday down as a bad day at the office. You will probably never know what went wrong: move on!

Emzap:  still jealous!

Pammie:  good to see you back into the swing of things.

Donaldo: so that's the Scottish summer over and done with then?

Yesterday's lyrics were (for RFJ and myself, and retrospectively for MadameO) "Things can only get better", D:Ream, with Professor Cox on keyboards, I believe.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    lol hoping for another summers day tomorrow!  Might go hillwalking image
  • Evening.

6 miles d&d increasing pace. Nice stretching to finish off. Three weeks to first build up race and feeling good. As Donaldo says the weather was great - t-shirt and shorts - yesssss. Forecast is good for the upcoming days also (although i did notice rain in Manchester today on the telly - sure it rains there as much as it does here. Better not be raining there 29 June next for Stone Roses - I only will have me floppy hat!!

MadO - back on the horse today in style I see. The last thing you need is to dwell on yesterday. I remember having a disaster like that and a fortnight later running a 10 mile PB by over a minute!!. Also sometimes these club races (while important) don't partner marathon training well!

Emzap - Nice time by the sounds of things!!

Pammie - nice run girl - keep it up!!

Ale - as i said the other day, - now you have a tergat (typo but left as it's apt (although he always advocated one day of rest per week)) for the next streak!!

More Lyrics to make me feel old
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: just a marathon d&d
    Why: I am a distance runner
    Last hard: parts of today while climbing
    Streak: Day 2
    Lyrics: yes

3.01.55 in a very controlled manner and a 63 second neg split. No drama no debate just a solid enjoyable training run in rolling Denmark countryside. Right now I am in Bremen.
  • What: 4 miles

why: too much booze on saturday.

hope next week is better