Options

Pharmalink Maidenhead Half Marathon

2»

Comments

• Options

Do we have to go up & down steps in the underpass or is there a ramp?

• Options

Old No7.

Both underpasses have steps and a ramp. Afraid I don't know which we'll be directed to use. I'm sure Claire Mac is pretty busy at the moment, but if she has a peep on here she might be able to advise. If I find out by other means before Sunday, I'll post on here.

Robert Smith 58, You're just a youngster, and will probably be tucking into lunch long before I finish on Sunday! Good luck.

• Options

they have used both of these underpasses in other runs and they direct you to using the ramp both on the way down and up.  Last year they didn't organise the start by running times but maybe that is something they will do this year as last year the start was a bit hectic and the number of runners is higher this year

• Options

Good luck to everyone tomorrow, looks like a dry one image

• Options

What fun! Thanks Purple patch, the many volunteers and all the supporters.

• Options

Didn't go as fast as I hoped, 42 seconds outside my PB, but that is probably due to this being my first long race since April and overdoing the training a bit.  I got carried away a bit on my long run last weekend and did 21 miles.  As a result my legs felt like lead today on the second lap.

• Options

Excellent route today and super marshals offering lots of encouragement! Many thanks to all image

• Options
    Thought that was a good course, a little twisty at the start and I could have done without the underpass, but that was obviously essential. Good support all along the course and a nice finish through the high street. 4 minute pb and just missed out on going sub 80.

Will be back to have another go
  • Options

Thanks to Chris and Claire and the rest of the team for a well organised event, they obviously took on board the feedback from last year's inaugural race. Well marshalled and lots of support around the course.

Good conditions on a fast course, there will have been a lot of PBs today, although not for me alas, just under 1hr 40min.

• Options

Very well organised and very good course, will be back next year.

• Options
    Thank you to all the marshals on the course, you were all superb.
  • Options
    Great race, definitely on my list for next year.
  • Options

First rate organization, and very fast course.  Marshalled really well and friendly crowds.  

• Options

Nice run out even though my lack of long runs recently told at the end.  Could have done without that weird kris-kros park bit at the end.  Well organised like all Purple Patch events though.

• Options

Agreed, great marshalls and support, nice route.  Nice having the Wetherspoons and cafes in town open early for coffee and toilets. 

Can anyone confirm that the race winner did another lap just for fun, as I think he came past us twice?

• Options

Agreed - much imporved from last year. the second lap didn't feel like an extra lap and generally the course, although less scenic, worked much much better.

the marshalls were great, as was the support of the public. Shame all you got at the end was the same medal as last year with a different date, a banana and cup of water but guess the majority of the entry fee went on the road closes and organisation which worked brilliantly.

• Options

Booooo!   My PB wont count with UKA or on runbritain: "Sorry but we are unable to include this race as it did not have a UKA race license. Oh well, garmin doesnt lie!

With a congested 2013 fixture list in sept next year already, thats the sort of thing that might make me skip it in 2013 and try another one. Typically I always run a PB only to find out after it wasnt an officially measured race. The 2011 had a license so not sure what the problem is/was?! GPS sort of suggests it was long enough though (Although Mr GPS does not like tunnels or 180 turns).

Not sure why people are complaining about the tunnel either. They arent going to let anyone close the A4, even on a sunday, so you have to get under it somehow unless you want 10 laps of maidenheads "town" centre.

• Options
    I think if the underpass wasn't so early in the race it wouldn't be an issue - I'm sure they could adjust it so it comes a bit later. The other alternative would be to start/finish elsewhere and skip the town completely - not that I have any local knowledge whatsoever (this was my first visit to Maidenhead).
  • Options

The tunnel was awful for us people at the back.  It was at a complete standstill for over a minute.  As Johnny suggested, if they could put it later in the race, the crowd would have thinned out.  Wayne, 10 laps of Maidenhead town centre wouldn't be so bad - past the pasty shop, costa coffee, thai shop...

Lots of PB's during the weekend.  Great marshalls but I thought not enough support from the locals.  Perhaps in future years as it becomes a regular fixture?  Loved the flatness though. image

• Options
    Lack of a UKA licence was a bit of a disappointment when they made a point of putting on the entry form that they had applied for one, makes you wonder why they didn't get one?

I can well imagine the first underpass was a bit of a nightmare for those further back at the start. Thought the crowd support was great though
  • Options

Yes, to improve, this should have a UKA licence for future races. This will give the race a better standing, and for anyone needing a fast qualifying time for  other events, this could be perfect.

As a local (I had a nice 1 mile jog to the start line), I didn't see a great deal of publicity around, other than for the road clossure signs, so not surprising that there weren't 100's of local out their.

As for the subway, it has to be done to get under the A4. I guess it is just too close to the start for the race to have thinned out. An extra mile or so on the town side of the A4 might help.

Personally I thought it was a great event for Maidenhead and Purple Patch to host. A few more minor tweaks for year 3 maybe.

• Options

I was wondering about the fast and flat before hand, and can say that it was.  I ran much faster than my only previous HM two months ago, taking 10mins less to complete it - so all rather pleasing and while 80% of that is fitness, 20% is the course, and i am inking it in for next year.

The time was despite having to walk down to the underpass (as i positioned myself at the start just infront of the 2 hours marker), but it was a a small price to pay - there was no real pushing and shoving as this was the South East crowd image 

• Options

It would help with the underpass if the start was narrower. Less people going through at the same time then and so less hitting the underpass at the same time. Would take longer to get all across the start line which might cause a few problems when the faster runners start lapping but would definitely help with the queue...