Options

RW Forum Six - 3.30

Comments

• Options

Thanks ST.  Hope the back is better for the long run.

3m recovery run done this morning.  5m planned for tomorrow and 20m on Sunday. I've also booked another 10k on 29th September.image

Where is SSheep?  Hope the running is going ok and the leg is behaving!

FRTC- how was the trail run last night?

• Options

Brolish - that sounds like a really good 10k race last night,image  and will definately go a long way to boosting your confidence that you can run fast, and if you don`t think that you are as fast as others image then also remember how jealous we are of your fantastic ability to do the massive weekly mileage, that you seem to do so easily. image

• Options

Bro - And I hear that you are a winner on the podium too, well done imageimage

• Options

Lol, yest 3rd lady!imageimage I got an email from the organisers saying that they have a trophy for me, they tried to give it to me last night but I was gone... Obviously the standard wasn't very high but I'll take it and run before they change their mind! The first lady finished in 38min and the second one was a few seconds ahead of me so a massive gap between.

• Options

Great stuff Brol ! image

PMA really works. Its so much in your head, pushing hard. Running club people telling me I don't know what I can do yet. So you can go so much faster... just need the right conditions and frame of mind, and sometimes just need to feel right. Still havent finished that biography with oddles of PMA, will stick it in the post if you want a borrow?

Did you go flat out, set pace from your boss or Garmin pace sensitive, looking at pace constantly? And yes we are jealous of your mileage. a bit.

I was careful the other day, didnt push too hard. Intervals I didn't do 100% flat out. Certainly felt like that with the right hammy tight and a bit tired after Sunday. Garmin shows 10 x 0.25m (so ~400m as I thought) times between 1m32 and 1m38 (a few varied when I paused watch). There is a 40 ft incline at start of the loop see here, then road turns to a straight - the hardest club session most pals think.

Those people saying I had improved? Hadnt thought - look at stats when I've done Broadway hill sprint session the last 3-4 times.. First time I was doing them at 1:40-1:50 so 1:32-1:38, with slight dip in middle with fatigue, then finish with fastest times. Big improvment, nice when you can literally see it in the numbers - 10 seconds over 400 metres and that wasn't flat out.

Speed strength class wiped me out Wednesday, slept for 8 hours plus after. Tons I'd never done before, snatch drop catches and snatch behind neck push press, very very technical. Proper lifting but still great to build overall strength and your legs.

Yesterday, I did my patented "hug a fastie".. (pushing out of your comfort zone) or rather I tried - they werent going fast enough image. One of my pals stuck with me though so we did last weeks run, 90 seconds faster so 58 mins for the 7.7mile trail run. Great run, my pal knocked nearly 4 minutes off his time so very happy. Good evenings run, 4 mile warm up too. Noticed the super fasties do this in 51 minutes, going slow! Some have done it in 45 mins. Yikes. Now they ARE fast.

Hope the back is better Scuba.

• Options

Oh, 3rd lady! Ace. Brol. Tons of PMA there then, you won something!

That 5k the other day I was going to do but decided against. was won by Jonny Mellor, the guy who helped with the running workshops I've done. 14:05 winning time by him. scary. He is national standard. Mo makes him look slow too.

• Options

FRTC- impressive training as always.

I very much set off at an agreed pace with the boss and tried to stick with it religiously for the first 3 miles, from then on it was really just trying to keep the pace/ go as fast as I could. Find it hard to slow myself down in the first few miles, I can't judge my pace very well so am a bit of a slave to the garmin... but then garmin sometimes takes time to catch up so it's easy to slow down too much.  One second you're bang on pace and the next you drop to 7:15-7:20.  That's what I found anyway.  But then if I go out on feel I end up going out too fast,,, More practice needed I guess.

I am seriously toying with the idea of not doing London next year and concentrating on faster/ shorter stuff for one season.  I know it would be for the best I'm just not sure how much I would miss running long...Will decide after NY.

• Options

FRTC- is he hammie ok now?

• Options

Yes, hammie is fine. One side effect of Wed S&C class I hadnt really mentioned, in the hour you do 5-10 minute warm up with loads of stretching (good mornings, inch worms, overhead squat, lunge complex, wall slides), and every week variants of squats/ lunges and tons of other things all help loosen up legs.

Brol, as for concentrating on short/ mid stuff, see how I go in October/ November?

I'm doing hopefully:- 10k Sept 9th, Ultra Oct 6th (time unimportant), Half Nov 4th (same day as NYC?), 10k Nov 24th. Also got multi terrain races 4/11/18/25th Sept - these are all 3-4 miles. All speed tests, one is a repeat of Sunday's 5k too.

Still surprised about the 8-10 seconds off 100-110 seconds on that speed session. so easy to see.

Brol, I forget what's your 10k PB? We need to get that spreadsheet up.

Oh, tomorrow, I'm doing usual circuit and if time, intervals (16 x 1/4) but also doing a carwash for charity as a fireman at the local station. Should be a giggle. No gags about helmets and firemans poles pleaseimage

Good bank holiday weekend Athletes.

• Options

Brolish - Trophy well done, that you  first for running? imageimageimage Enjoy your 20 tomorrow.

FRC - Glad hamstring has sorted itself out. Enjoy circuits and intervals tomorrow.

My back is better but still a little sore. I did my 2 warm up then 11miles at 7:50mm and a mile cool down, my back was fine and I felt good, I think 2 days rest made it feel easy. I went out in drizzle and was glad of a long sleeve top then it cleared and warmed up, I thought I may over heat then about half way it rained quite hard and didn't stop til I got home. That is the wettest I got on a run since spring.

• Options
    FRTC- yes, sounds like your half is on the same day as NYimage Glad to hear the hammie is ok. My official pb is 43:40 but my garmin only recorded 6.13m on the day so I think the course was a bit short. It was probably more something close to 44:20... Enjoy your circuit and car wash todayimage

ST- well done on 11m- do you consider 7:50 to be your MP pace? I know what you mean about overheating... It's always tempting to put long sleeves on when it's cool outside but 10min into the run I usually regret it. I have 5m planned for today and it's also likely to be wet. Nice for a changeimage
  • Options
    Oh and yes it was the very first time on the podium for meimage
  • Options

Hello all!  Leg's fine, no worries.  Sorry for my silence, I have had a manic weekend and also a horrible time running.  Will get to that in a minute....

Fab run, brolish!  I am so impressed that you 'podiumed' as they say image  Get in there.  As you say, it's very close to your PB that you set at the peak of your Copenhagen powers, so there is absolutely no reason why you can't bring that time down.  Take huge confidence from this and build on it.  Just one thought about doing speed for one season, whilst I would be very sad not to have you joining me on the London start line, it's probably not a bad thing to do (Marathon Talk magic mile training and Tom's experiences spring to mind).  The only caveat I would put around it is remember to think about 2014 Two Oceans.  I have no idea whether it would be good to give your body a rest in the year before this race in terms of reducing mileage to concentrate on speed, or whether it would be better to continue with your high mileage base to build towards the ultra.  Probably a good idea to speak to The Boss to see whether he thinks it would help/hinder/make no difference image

FRC, good to hear the hammy is playing nicely again.

Scuba, I hope your back is OK.  Sorry to hear the weather's being rubbish.

Which brings me back to my running.  I am following P+D week 1, modifying the mileage.  I did 6 miles on the treadmill on Tue so I cross trained on Wed, ran on Thur.  I think the plan said 9 miles so I decided to stick with 6 miles as that's been my longest run so far and this was going to be my first run outside for months (I did a couple of 25 min efforts in late June, but they really don't count as that was just rehabbing my leg).  Suffice to say, it was really tough.  I think I just left the house too early as the sun was still up around 6:15pm as it did seem to feel cooler around 7ish when it was properly dark.  I got home thoroughly demoralised and grumpy image

So I cross trained yesterday and did a spin class this morning which felt great.  I have a 4 mile recovery run to do and I am waiting until gone 7 when it is dark.  Hopefully I will feel stronger tonight......

• Options
    SSheep- hope yesterday's runt went better! Do not despair. I know it must be frustrating getting back into it and having the heat to deal with on top of coming back from the injury but you have only just started! I am sure a couple of weeks in things will start feeling easier, the main thing is that the leg is ok. Give it a few more runs!

I'll talk to the boss about the next season after NY, will see how I feel about the things then. I don't think concentrating on speed would hinder my preparation for Two Oceans though... If anything I think it might help.

20m planned for today and the sun is out after yesterday's torrential rains.

Gazelle is probably back today, I wonder how running went in Ibiza image
  • Options

SS Early morning is much better at this time of year, around 0600 works

• Options
    20m D&D @ 8:40. Felt great and had some left in the tank at the endimage

I have 10x 400m planned for Tuesday @ 6:30mm with 2min recoveries. I think the boss has decided on introducing some drastic measures to kick start me into a faster gear... Lol. I have two days to obsess about it!
  • Options

Hi all athletes! image

Some great running going on.

Brolish, podium finish!!! imageimageimage Brilliant, and a nice time to boot! (btw, Was it the BBC 10k?)

SSheep, glad the training is starting to come back. Good to see that your recovery is going well.

ST, nice running, 14 total and 11 at 7:50 image Sounds like you are moving well and nice to see the back seems fine.

FRTC, glad things continue to go well for you. You are keeping up with the crazy gym sessions!

Gazelle!, hope you had a good holiday image

Hardly any running for me the last few days, but my daughter's wedding yesterday was brilliant!!!! When I have some time, I may type up an "event report". Loads of sorting out still to do though, especially as we have been entertaining some of the wider family as well!!

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options

Morning all

Juggler - Glad the big day went well, look forward to hearing all about it in report. Take a deep breath to recover and your'll soon be back on the road training again.

Gazelle - are you back yet? how was the training camp (holiday)?

Speed Sheep - Do expect so much of yourself you have held your aerobic fitness with gym/spinning but it will take time to convert that back to running fitness. The heat will take its toll but think how easy it will be to run a race like london in on a cool UK morning.

Brolish - Nice pace for your 20 miles, what does D&D stand for? Don't worry about the short interval your be fine. I did mine this morning, 2x (6x 400m @ 6:00 1:30 RI) with RI 2:30 between. All on target if not a bit quick. Not sure if the fast work has finally start to pay off or the 2 days rest back to back are still having an effect but it felt very good.

Enjoy the bank holiday everyone imageimageimage.

• Options
    Juggler- glad to year the wedding went well and look forward to hearing all about it.image

ST- d&d is done and dustedimage. Nice intervals there, looks like its all coming together for you.

5m easy planned for today.
  • Options
    Juggler- yes it was the BBC 10k, why are you asking?
  • Options

Well, that's 22 miles on the clock for my first week back training image  Heat issues aside, I am really really pleased at being back in the game.  Today was a rest/cross-training day so I did a spin class.  Felt tired going into it, but absolutely kicked butt on that bike.  So all in all, good progress is being made here.

Juggler, so glad your 'father of the bride' experience went well image  Can't wait to hear all about it.

Scuba T, wow, what a speedster you are!  We will be looking to you to win us the shoes next year image

Brolish, 10 x 400 - gulp!!  

Gazelle, how's your tan??? image

• Options

Hi Guy's I'm home imageimageimage, Just need to read up on all that has happened whilst I've been chilling out, back in a mo.........

• Options

SS well done on completing your press up challenge. Bring on the six pack challenge, I think all the men should do it alsoimage Doing two marathons in succession puts a lot of stress on your body so I would also suggest your A race should be Dubai and run London as experience and to meet up with everyone again.

ST You have put some good training runs in whilst I have been away, you will nail the 10mile race. Glad to hear your back is better.

Juggler Glad you had a great time at your daughters wedding, yes please ref a wedding reportimage

Brolish Have you sorted your watch out? Well done on your 10k time and 3rd lady check you outimage Sounds like you are controlling your pace better than last time which is great news. I know what you mean about not running London marathon next year, I'm happy to resort to my first plan and not run London but I will definitely pop down to London for the weekend and catch up with everyone, doing two marathons in a year has taken the fun out of running for me, it's also so time consuming. I will see how I feel after Chester before I come to my final decision.

FRTC More pb's!!!!There's no stopping you well done. Did I read the post right that you had ran 12miles prior to getting your 5k pb? Whats the full title of the book you are reading ref PMA?

• Options
    Brol, 10 x 400m is fine, sure you can do that no problem. With 2 minute rests you'll be fully recovered, the efforts at 1:37 or below. I remember you doing Yasso 800s with 2-2:30 minute RI so 400/ quarters with a long recovery should be do-able.

Think PMA. 10 x 400m is actually only 2.5 miles which is a tiny warm up for you! image

Speed Sheep, good first week for you, just take it slowly as Scuba said, running fitness will take time to come back. Don't push too hard? Steady build, long term plan.

Scuba, good sessions for you. Getting some nice speed & tempo going. When is first race, soon or long way off?

Juggler, loads of details please, report! image

Gazelle how was trip?

Crashed out Saturday a bit. Stressful day Friday then not enough sleep Sat. Got my hair cut a few miles away in morning, and then ran across muddy country fields from there to uber gym, but literally out on my feet, nearly glacial speed, like 4 miles in 40 minutes. Honestly! Grabbed a sports drink at gym and recovered fine for circuit but suitably told off by Mrs FRC.

So no intervals this week (would've been 16 x 400image), food to recover and a cat nap or two during afternoon. Know we joked about TR24 & cakes, but have had low blood sugar maybe 15 years ago, just have to get me to stick my hand out palm down & see how shaky. Very. Something definitely off in sleep, recovery, body process. Did a couple of hours helping with the charity car wash though and had a giggle.

Maybe a cumulative thing? Sat footy + interval / Sunday long run & race/ Tue speed/ Wed Speed Strength/ Thu 4m/ 8m hard then tough Friday work finished me off, plus not enough sleep some days. Or someone had some Kryponite nearby.

Anyway, fine by next morning Sunday, doing the 12 miles trail run with pals. All learning experience.
  • Options
    Oh, Hello Gazelle! yes, last weekend 12 hilly trail mile run, 25-30 minute break then a 5k PB 20:30 and not even flat out, got lost for a few seconds at fork and not sprinting for line. Went out very hard though.

I know, I'm bad. Good endurance test though image

I'd hope to get low 20 mins rested, doing same route on Sept 11th I think.
  • Options

Well where do I start with my running???? On the Saturday before we went on holiday I did an 18.5mile run, I only went and hit the wall!!! Has anyone hit the wall in training? I did the first mile at 10:02mm pace and knew that the progressive run was not going to be good. I must of walked about 5 times at mile 15 and then I can't really remember mile 16 I was kind of gazed and knew I was shuffling along. At mile 17 I called hubby to come and collect me then I felt really guilty that I was jacking the run in and from nowhere got a second wind! Hubby pulled up as I approached mile 18, I got a drink off him and then ran around a carpark about 10 times to make the run up to 18.5mile. Now I keep thinking was it just my head telling me that I couldn't run or was I really tired??? How did I go from having nothing in the tank (mile 16 @ 9:44mm) to mile 18 @ 8:19mm?

Our holiday was great but it was sooooo hot, at 6:30am the temperature was 27 degrees! Quick question for Dave Dubai  how much does the heat take out of you or does it effect people in different ways? All my runs were done but felt so hard. Would it be better for Speed Sheep to do her training using a heart rate monitor? I say this because if SS wants to run a marathon in 3:30 her mp would be 8mm, but in the heat I struggled even at 9mm.

This is what I did whilst on holiday at 6:30 in the morning, as soon as I went out of the hotel I began to sweat with the heat!:

Monday 3 mile recovery run @ 9:30mm

Tuesday 7.5mile. I should of done 4 mile and then 6x1k repeats @ 6:45-6:55. My first two miles were 9:05, 10:17!!!! so I decided to do my reps after the second mile as I didn't want to loose any more energy, 1k reps were 7:03,6:48,6:54,6:46,7:00,6:48  then i did the 2miles @ 8:17, 8:26

Wednesday 8mile avg 9:12mm

Friday was 3mile steady then 8mile between 7:30-7:40. I managed all 11miles but only did 2miles between the above timesimage all the rest were well slow, my legs just felt so heavy.

Saturday 3mile which I did at 22:15hrs and was slightly intoxicated!!! I wasn't going to do this one but I felt guilty all day, we were putting the kids to bed and I just informed hubby that I was just nipping out for 30mins, he kind of knew where I was heading as I quickly got changed into my running gear.

So my running for the last week has not gone to plan so I was feeling a bit low, I have a half marathon to race on Sunday! So today in true English weather of Rain and wind I went out for a 16mile run 8miles @8:50 and 8miles @ 8:25 which I did bang onimage 

Sorry the post is a bit long.....

• Options

Gazelle, great to have you back image  I'm glad you had a good holiday, sorry that the heat was not nice but (and please don't take this the wrong way) it makes me feel much better about my running in the heat to know you struggled too as it's not just me!!!!!!  

I read this really interesting quote in Tim Noakes's book, The Lore of Running. He writes, "It is well documented that the performance of athletes who train exclusively in cool weather is impaired when they are suddenly confronted with hot, humid conditions.  With perseverance and continued training in the heat, however, the body becomes acclimatised and performance soon improves, returning whtin a short period to normal for those conditions."  He says it takes 7-14 days of training in the heat for acclimatisation to be fully developed.  Also, it only takes one week back in cooler conditions for acclimatisation to begin to wear off and it is gone within 28 days.  Thus it is no wonder that going from the UK to hot conditions on holiday for you, and back to Dubai for me, made us struggle.

I am guessing that your week will not have affected your half marathon training as your effort levels will have been much higher than for the same runs in cool conditions.  I kid you not, I have seen my heart rate get to 170 towards the end of an easy paced run out here.............  It seems to be adding a minute per mile to my paces right now, but I've only done 3 runs outside so far, still a few more to go before acclimatisation (hopefully) kicks in image  On the bright side, cooler weather is only about a month or so away image

And what's this about running whilst intoxicated??? Tsk tsk image

• Options

FRTC- sounds like you need to take it easy... Make sure you get enough rest!

Gazelle- Welcome back. Very impressed with your holiday running.  That's quite a commitment to go out there and do all your runs despite the heat.  You can't expect to run at the same pace as you would in cool weather, it's just not going to happen.  I did smile when I was reading your post because I knew it would make SSheep feel so much better! I have firmly established that the heat has a massive impact on how I run and I also don't think it's something you can get used to in a few days, it takes a bit longer than that.  You put the correct effort levels in and got all the sessions banked, so that's the main thing. Have you decided on the target for the half this weekend?  How was your holiday otherwise?  What did you think of Ibiza? And yes, I also want to know more about runing while intoxicated!imageimage

My watch is still quiet, I think it's just had enoughimage.

Right... I am preparing myself mentally for the 10 x 400 tonight.  Will go to the track but probably wait until later when it cools down.

• Options

SS I'm glad that you recognise that running in the heat does effect your paceimage You will feel the benefits when it starts to get cold over there (High summer degrees over here!)

My run under the influence was great. I was stressing about not running all morning so at 3pm the kids went to a kids club and Hubby whisked me off on a two hour walking trek (a few shops includedimage) he knew I was worried about not running the 3miles and we definitely covered 3 or more miles which in Hubbys view was "you have walked 3 miles so no need to worry!!!" At 5pm the kids wanted to go into the pool for the last time so I decided to have a few Malibu's! it tasted like juice and so i kept on drinking them. The strain and guilt of not running got to me and in a split second I made up my mind and had to go for the run, I felt queasy all night so wasn't that good an idea after all.

Brolish I wont be happy if I don't get a pb on Sunday (1:35:53), two reasons are:

•  I have worked much harder on this marathon schedule and would like to see the results
    • My last half marathon was ran in the pouring down rain and gales

I'll  probably aim for about 1:33 which is about 7.07mm. I will check out the course profile later.

Good luck with the 400m reps tonight, just imagine us at the start of each rep, I'll run the 1st, 3rd and 9th lap with youimage Posting PMA to you.

• Options
    2 km 1 mi    

oh great 'efficient organisation, a friendly atmosphere and a scenic but undulating out-and-back course'

http://d2i3r43q6ffvz8.cloudfront.net/prod/hashed/9fbb46cf30ad5c70630376c037d03d97f76378c2.png?p=http%3A%2F%2Fd2i3r43q6ffvz8.cloudfront.net%2Fprod%2Fblessed-20120827-11%2Fimages%2Fcore%2Ficons%2Fcenter_route.png
    • Export as GPX
    • Export as KML

GPX eXchange Format, or GPX, is a common file type when importing and exporting GPS data.                    The route you export will only have lat and lng points.               

Keyhole Markup Language, or KML,                        is an XML-based language schema for expressing geographic annotation and visualization on existing or future Web-based,                         two-dimensional maps and three-dimensional Earth browsers.  It was developed for Google Earth.                        Click here to open in Google Maps.               

ELEVATION (ft)02.635.267.8910.5213.16200250300350400450500 259 ft                    Start Elev                423.0 ft                    Max Elev                203.0 ft                    Gain                 

http://d2i3r43q6ffvz8.cloudfront.net/prod/hashed/3d95bdbe7b50a69e5e6fb3ae5a8d338259b71513.png?p=http%3A%2F%2Fd2i3r43q6ffvz8.cloudfront.net%2Fprod%2Fblessed-20120827-11%2Fimages%2Fcore%2Ficons%2Ficon_help_small.png