Options

RW Forum Six - 3.30

Comments

• Options

Thanks for that guys, image

Janie, don`t worry too much about your goal time just yet, as Moraghan says, get a race in soon, then  use a predictor (mcmillan) to see where your fitness is at the moment, Train at paces based on that information and then re adjust your goal race time 5-8 weeks from race date, after doing perhaps a half marathon race and having a look at the predictors again based on that result..

The marathon can be a cruel beast,  as as it is your first one, it would be better to play safe, get around to the finsh in a enjoyable fashion ? and then you will have some idea what it felt like and then for your next one look at faster times and really pushing yourself.
    If you go off after too quick a goal time it can all end up in rather a nasty mess.

Have fun. image

• Options

Janiemouse- Welcome on board.

Todays run for me went as follows:

3 Mile warm up @ 9:28, 9:16, 9:03 min/mile

4 mile 15k-HM pace @ 7:30, 7:30, 7:31, 7:32

2 mile cool down @8:40, 9:10

Avg pace 8:25

1:15:47 overall

Warm up was great, starting off slow and increasing the pace gradually. I checked my watch on the first HM pace at about ½ mile to see what pace I was doing as I was conscious of going off too fast, the pace felt fine. On mile 4 and 5 the wind was behind me and I did need to slow the pace down slightly at times. Overall I feel great.

I did some core exercises afterwards and took Carrot's advise and had a milkshake, maltloaf and banana.

Has anyone else been running today?

• Options
    That's a great run, Gazelle! Well done image

Oh, I miss my P&D training ... 

I'm probably not going to do a spring marathon image. January is two thirds over and I'm nowhere near the distance that I used to run at this time of year. Plan is to get over the injury and build a consistent base and then go for an autumn marathon. I moved to Germany last year so if I do a race it'll be a German one. Perhaps Bremen again. There's a bit of unfinished business there what with a scorcher in October that cost me 10 mins image
  • Options

Gazelle- nice tempo runningimage

12 miles for me planned tonight.

• Options
    Chicka - you could fly over and do Town Moor..... image

Easy run for me tonight image
  • Options
    Oh no, I've only gone and broke my computer! Will need to wait for hubby to get back from work to fix it!
  • Options
    Oh that's good at least I can send messages via my phone.
    Mon77- good luck with your 12 tonight.
  • Options
    Gazelle.those splits were pretty consitent.well done .great start image
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Nice splits Gazelle! image
  • Options
    Thanks for the messages ref the splits. image Not sure if I'm running off adrenalin still from being picked for this thread, It definitely helps keeping consistent splits knowing that the stats will be on here for everyone to see. I wouldn't of been able to do them on my own otherwise.
  • Options

So we have got our lady up and running, a few things have been sorted out like seeing what her previous training involved, and looking at what areas we need to target first.

I see  just over 13 weeks training time left including

3 week taper
    Race preparation, threshold work and building endurance.
    So we need to prioritise the order of importance, and then allocate the various weeks to those elements factoring in a few test / confidence building  races, plenty of rest and follow the priorities below.

1. To arrive at the start line in London,  Fit to race.

2. To do the best that she can on the day and be satisfied that she ran well.

3.To aim for her goal time.

At no time should those priorities change and all work will be done to achieve those goals. image

It will take me until after the weekend to get the elements all into place for Gazelle and in the meantime we will stay on the P&D with minor tweaks, just so we don`t take any risks until we are sure how we need to proceed.
    But judging by todays run, we are both pleased that she has got off to a nice positive start.
    Well done Gazelle.

• Options
    Oh Gazelle, you are speed freak! I am going to lurk in a slower thread...
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    What elements are you putting into place for Gazelle, Shaggy? She's started on the P&D already, are you going to change that?

I know you asked me for a copy of my spring schedule - I'll email it through later when I'm on my home computer. It certainly did me well last Spring although I changed some of the speed sessions. To be honest I think the speed sessions that are in the original schedule are better than what I did, but I had personal reasons for sticking to the 800s. image. Also, some of my runs were off road so the paces don't really correspond to the plan.

Gazelle if you're sticking with the P&D I also have a blank spreadsheet if you're interested?

• Options

KateF- Please stay, I need to know people are watching my every move so I don't slackimage It would be good to follow your 12 marathons and how you go about training for them. I certainly need to start entering more races.

Minni- ooh yes please if it's no trouble ref the spreadsheet, although Shaggy has said he is sorting one out I think. I like the 800's also, hopefully Shaggy can tweak a few of these in for meimage

• Options

Question time.

What does it mean when you read don't run more than 10% from the previous week? Is it from the long run or total miles?

Shaggy- Last week I ran 37.62miles in total, if I keep to the schedule this week I will have ran 45miles is this ok or should I reduce any of my runs? I have two recovery runs of 5mile and 4 mile and a ga 10mile to do. I feel fine just concerned about the 10% theory. Should I be worried or conserve my energy and get on with it???

• Options

I am just trying to shuffle training days around for Gazelle as she has a young family and would like to spend weekends with them,  so the Quality runs should be week based, which will be a bit different, also we are struggling to get a 10k race in the very near future arranged to see where Gazelle is currently at ability wise.

The P&D although a great schedule will be altered to suit but only as far as  few things that I am now aware of which I feel give greater benefits to the training process, shorter recovery runs will be adopted. So mileage will have to be placed elsewhere, without having a detremental effect on training and I would like to see how Gazelle actually responds to the training load and the recovery time that follows.

Gazelle, don`t worry about what lies ahead image we will adjust your mileage and load in safe levels to suit you and how you feel,  also we can alter the type of session, so as to reduce the training load on you, whilst still keeping within our overall weekly mileage target.

It will all come clear soon, you concentrate on you, your well being and recovery and when you get a session, you then run, after wards, concentrate on you, your well being and recovery.

see it is all so simple.image image

• Options

Its quiet on here todayimage

Today I did a 3 mile recovery run.

3 Mile  @ 9:19, 9:20, 9:21 min/mile

Avg pace 9:20

28:05 overall time.

Quite windy out there today but my legs ect feel fine.

I do have a heart rate monitor which Shaggy has asked me to use(I haven't used it for about 2 years) I dug it out yesterday but it wasn't working. Today I went to the shop and had a new battery put in. So I put it on for the above run but it was blank on my watch. I will find the instructions out unless anyone can help??? I have the 405 Garmin watch and heart rate monitor.

• Options

I will hang around and keep a beady eye on you then. Your HRM should be picked up by your Garmin when you put it on, it makes a happy bleep that it has a friend.

Usually Thursday morning is a 10 mile run with 5 tempo miles. Dinner with a client yesterday meant it was a 6 mile super plod instead, will have to see if I can get out later before spin and try and find some speed.

• Options

I did an easy 8 last night, but getting a few twinges so I shall rest today.

Gazelle I think you need to pair up your garmin again, there is a menu selection somewhere.  You only need do it the once.

Are you gouing to post up the P&D schedule?

• Options
    nice recovery run......image

I've just started using my HR monitor.fortunately it seems to be friends with my garmin......infact I think the two of them are ganging up on me
  • Options
    KateF wrote (see)

Usually Thursday morning is a 10 mile run with 5 tempo miles. Dinner with a client yesterday meant it was a 6 mile super plod instead, will have to see if I can get out later before spin and try and find some speed.

Katef- you put my one run a day to shame!

Mr Puffy- Thanks for the advise ref HRM.

I managed to find the instructions for the HRM and all is now fine. Funny how I always find instructions/warranty's for running items but not for the TV ect.

The rest of this week looks like the following:

Friday 9 miles General aerobic run
    Saturday 3 miles at an easy pace

Shaggy is still sorting out the rest of the plan but as soon as it is in place I'm sure he will post it on hereimage It will be weekly rather than all in one go.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing what Shaggy has in store for you Gazelle! image
  • Options

and me, I've been high as a kite for the last few days.

How did you find the whole experience last year? Did you have highs and lows?

• Options
    Hi all

I'm aiming for a 3:30 at this years VLM, may be a bit hopeful but you have to have a target.

I managed 3:42 in last years VLM which was my first marathon, but that was a hot day and I went out too fast (newbie error).

Did 15.5 last Sunday, half mile warm up then 8:40ish pace and mile warm down. Run a mile to the gym (core and legs for 45mins) and mile home on Monday, rest day Tuesday, tempo work out Wednesday, 1/2mile warm up,2 miles at 7:30 pace, 1/2mile 10:00pace, 2 miles at 7:30 pace, 1/2 mile warm down, gym again this morning and set of 5x800m intervals at 6:30 pace tomorrow morning.

I dropped MP run and switched it to a gym session for a the last couple of weeks a getting a bit of ITB pain but seems to have cleared up.

Not sure if my target it to ambitious.
  • Options

Scuba trooper  -  looks like lots of speedier stuff going on, don`t forget that endurance is the key ingrediant of the marathon, and lots of speedy people go bang at twenty miles, image

just make sure there is enough miles in the tank before you get to the start line in London. image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Gazelle  I was just having a read back to see what your pbs are.  I got your marathon but what are your 10k and HM?  Sorry I might just have missed it. 

I read you got cramp at mile 19.  Although I've never suffered from cramp in a marathon I have in shorter distances and its always because I've gone off too fast earlier on and suffered later.  I've really had to work hard on this over the last year to try and get my pacing right and its more or less paying off now.

Gazelle!! I wish wrote (see)

How did you find the whole experience last year? Did you have highs and lows?

I found the whole experience very good.  I had a great mentor in DD in so far as he let me get on with it but offered encouragement and support along the way.   

I had run 7 or 8 marathons all under 3:43 but could only get my pb to 3:31.  I just couldn't break that 3:30 barrier!  I ran a marathon in the November off not much training and that was to mark the beginning of me knuckling down to serious training.  I chose the P&D after taking lots of advice because I felt it had what I needed.  So, I was already a few weeks into it when I started with DD.  

The only thing I changed was I did all the intervals at 800m so I would have something to measure any improvement by.  This served the purpose. 

Everything went well for me but my dog had puppies 10 days before the marathon.  I missed a night's sleep and there followed a throat infection and bad back.  I was still on antibiotics when I ran the marathon but managed to nail it in 3:28. 

The mentoring worked well for me because I knew what I needed to do but always found an excuse not to do it.  image   Reporting back to DD and the thread was a great incentive to get out there and work!

The bunch on the thread were great too and have all now become friends, slightly mad friends at that! 

• Options
    Shaggy t

Thanks for your feedback, I will be adding in another run a week probably at MP starting at 5 miles and extending out to 10 by the middle of March, will also be adding distance to my tempo and long runs so hopefully that will give me the extra miles I need by April.

Will you be looking at other aspects of Gazelles routine such as stretching and core/gym work? I'd be interest to hear what others are doing to complement the miles on the road.

• Options

Welcome to the thread scuba Trooper, what plan did you use last year and what plan will you be using this year?

Minni- yes I think your bang on that I went out too fast, I missed out the mp runs in trainingimage

• Options

Minni- Oh my I’ve opened up a bag of worms that I didn’t know existed!

Long story follows but I will try and break it up.

After Stratford Marathon I didn't really do any races, if I don't plan in advance then I don't do them. If I enter races then I want to do it when I'm in the best shape, I can't treat a race as a Sunday run if you see what I mean. If I don't get PB's I swear that I'm never running again!  My problem is no structure or self belief. I did some kind of training for London and Stratford then I let all the fitness that I have built up go to waste. The rest of the year I go to my local club twice a week and sometimes go out for long runs if other people are running.

My PB’S are a bit dated:

5k Parkrun 23.27 Oct 2011 Off road course, Need to do this one again as I tried to do it as close to 8mm, need to do it flat out to know true time.

10k 43.50 March 2010

Half Marathon- 1.42.54 Birmingham Oct 2010

Marathon- 3.45.30 Stratford May 2011

I have run a few xc races last year and my last one was 7th January this year but did not train for them.

I have entered a Half marathon on 4th March to see where I am at. I’m looking for a local 10k for the next few weeks but may have to go and do it by myself.

• Options

I have been running for about 4 years and have been merrily running at comfortable speeds; I can run at faster speeds with friends but scared to go out of my comfort zone whilst running on my own.

However Monday of this week I was on the marathon thread and posted that I was doing 16m with 10miles at MP (8mm), this certainly gave me the motivation to do the run. I was so happy to have completed the run, then that evening I won this wonderful opportunity. I have ran 2 great runs this week that I know I would never of done.

I know I’m still in the first week of training with Shaggy but knowing that I will be posting my times on here and sending Shaggy my stats off my Garmin gives me the belief in myself that I was lacking.