RW Forum Six - 3.30

Comments

• Mr Puffy, TMI about Bristol image

And if it's important, mile 25 and 3.20 something on the clock...id be in the wee category. But I'd have to be bursting.

Lose that much water, it's never happened on any long run or race

Fartlech session tonight at club, after gym earlier. See if I can get out tomorrow lunchtime since busy later.
  • Gazelle- hope you're all rested and rearing to goimage,

Have a couple of questions;

What's the difference if there is a difference, between you easy pace and general aerobic pace?  Is the latter supposed to be slower?  That's how I understand it but I seem to be running all my long/ medium long/ general aerobic runs at a similar easy pace.

How do you work with Garmin on your tempo runs?  Do you set it to tell yo when to pick up the pace and beep if you're not within the range?  I struggle to find the best way to do it.  If I start it from the start of the run I don't know what my average pace for the tempo section of the run is (as the average includes the warm up).  I then tend to freak out that I'm slowing down/ speeding up too much looking at the average lap which tends to jump up and down as we know.  If I stop my garmin after the warm up and start again for tempo, I then can't import the whole run as one run into Fetch which is annoying.  Any tips?

• To answer directly on Puffy's question I'd pee but after last years VLM the last few miles are a complete blank I can't remember anything from 20miles except the road below my feet. As I crossed the line i realised I really needed to pee but had not crossed my mind before that.

Mon77 I set up my Garmin with the routine I have in mind so it tells me to speed up or slow down and gives spot and average lap pace, works ok as long as the elements of the routine aren't to short when the average pace jumps around as you say. I set up the warm up as run until press the lap button so no constraint on time or distance and the same for cool down.
  • ST- sorry for being slow.  How do you set up the warm up/ cool down as run until press the lap button?  Is it a specific option?
  • Mon77 when you set up a phase you can choose between distance, time or press lap button. I am at work so will look on my machine with training center this evening and try and be a little more helpful.

• Oh, ok.  That makes sense.  I just haven't used it before.  Will give it a go tonight.  Many thanks.image
  • Mr Puffy wrote (see)

On the Paris thread a couple of years ago we had the Bristol Stool Chart, that's a laugh!

I went out with an hour to fill tonight while Puffy Junior coached football, I was still feeling tired so I eschewed the speed session in my plan and decided on 1 mile warm up, 6 miles at 8mm and a mile cool down. It was hard work, and I flet like I had to put in too much effort, so next time I race I will have an extra day's rest.

does anyone else use SportTracks?  I've got some four years of data now so when I have a lees than satisfactory run, I can look back and see what I was doing this time last year or whenever.  In 2011, I hadn't done any longer runs at mara pace at this point, so I don't feel too disheartened

Mr Puffy- I think we shouldn't go down this route for a few months, we all barely know each otherimage 

We will all come across days where we can't perform to our best, its best to do them in training rather than on the day and as you say the race on Sunday has probably taken a lot out of you. I did read a thread the other week before this one was here and a few people said it was very early to start MP runs, they waited until Feb/Mar.

Sports Tracks what are they???

• Mon77- I'm well rested now thanks, not sure what happened yesterday. I think everyone should go to bed half an hour before they usually do tonight it works wondersimage

Scuba Trooper- Can we rename you to Garmin/training expert please????

When in Training center how do I change my user profile? At the moment it has my heart rate zones but I want to change these zones to speed zones. When I try it says "speed zones can not over lap" and it won't let me change any of the figures in the high speed zone. Hope this makes sense!!!

Has any one ran today/ Cross trained???

• I ran this morning 8mile easy/long run pace 8:40-9:25mm

8mile- 9:12, 9:10, 9:10, 9:12, 8:51, 8:42, 8:51, 9:21

Time 1hr 12min

Avg hr- 149

• oops pressed wrong button.

So back to today's run.

It was a nice morning to run no wind ect I was still thinking oh no after feeling very lethargic yesterday so I told myself just to run at what felt comfortable, normally I look at my watch at least 5+times per mile!

So the first mile felt very comfortable and was happy with the time. So I only looked at my watch about twice for every mile after that, 2nd and 3rd mile were also fine. I knew that tomorrow is a rest day and as I was running inside the time per mile that Shaggy gave me I decided to up the pace only slightly.

Mile 5 was still gentle I felt I had spring in my step, It was like i was floating as my strides were longer and was using my arms more.

Mile 6 was a unused farm track of just over a mile.This is where I had problems. There were puddles everywhere, I was jumping over them, walking right next to the barbed wire to get pass them, it was very muddy but good. I then saw so much water and after last nights discussion ref toilet breaks really needed the loo, but I was a good girl and held it in!

On top of that I had two successive phone calls which I ignored, then a text followed by another phone call, by this point I thought "oh no" so I stopped running and turned my watch off, went to answer the phone and it was a friend who I had told I was off running!!!!!

Mile 7 I started to slow back down and mile 8 was a cool down.

When running at the slower pace I find my stride is very short and I don't use my arms is this what happens to everyone?

• I haven't been using my training centre for a while as it seems to crash my laptop.  Have been using Fetch instead to record my runs.  Anyone has experienced this?  I probably need to start using it if I want to set workouts.
  • Nice running Gazelle.  Not sure about the stride when running slow.  Don't normally pay much attention to it.  Maybe I should.
  • Mon77- I can really feel the difference, its like I'm plodding/shuffling my feet when I'm running slower and gliding along like a gazelle when I lengthen my stride.

My training centre seems to be ok on our laptop. Has Scuba Trooper finished work yet???

• 12 miles for me @ average of 8:50.  I think I'm back in the gameimage
  • I'm not that great on Training center but have managed to set up my training runs. So for a warm up I create a step, in the when will this step end option I choose "when I press the lap button" then select your target for the step choose "I don't have a target" I put a step like this at the beginning and end of ever workout I set up.

Did tempo/threshold this morning,

1/2m warm up
    2.25m @ 7:30mm
    0.5m @ 10mm
    2.25m @ 7:30mm
    1/2m warm down

Not sure whether to do hill repeats or 6 mile easy tomorrow, I'll do the other on Saturday after gym on Friday, then 20mile on Sunday.
  • Yippee Mon77. Everyone else must be out on their runsimage
  • Scuba Trooper your back yippee

Nice session for you this morning, I would choose 6 mile easy I think but I'm not the expert!

• Is the expert out running to? are we the only people who run in the morning? The 5:30-6:00am starts are hard at this time of year but at least when I finish work my time is my own.
  • I'm watching the football image. Well done Mon.

If I'm running slowly, I use it as an opportunity to practise my form, my bugbear is I hunch my shoulders so I really relax and lift my hands, this seems to pivot my shoul;ders down and I get less tension in my neck.

Sporttracks is a program to log your training, it reads the data from your garmin, like connect, but it's on your PC not web based.  It's a lot better than Training Centre for most things, but you can't create training sessions on it.

I'm going to try to get my long run in on saturday this week, then I can get to our club night on Monday well rested.

That looks like a neat session Scuba!

• Hi Gazelle - another fine run bagged today, glad to see that you are feeling better and the recovery run and an early night did the trick image
    The lack of arm use at shuffle pace is common and as you say the arms come into play as your speed gets faster, a good place to practice your running form is when you do your strides, keep very relaxed and try and focus on how you look and adjust a little bit of your form each time you do strides and soon you will be running like the elites.

We have touched so far on running, nutrition, hydaration and the downsides of that image  and it is good to see that you and the gang are helping each other out with tips and ideas, another subject to bring into our training spectrum is injury prevention.
    Have a think and see if we can get a list of things that will help with injury prevention.
    To start you off I will give you a few to get the ball rolling.

TIPS ON INJURY PREVENTION
    Post run recovery
    Use of compression Garments
    stretching post run

Mon77 - the pace of long slow runs , medium long run, easy and aerobic are basically the same, some will run their long runs a little bit slower but, at our level, run them all the same pace, it works for me, recovery pace though is definately slower and other speedier stuff is at the pace suited to the requirement of the session.

• Shaggy do you stretch only after a run? I tend to warm for 5 min/half a mile then do a few stretch then my session, warm down and stretch again. Is this a good or bad idea?

Other injury prevention tips

Right shoes, changed often enough
    Rest days
    Cross training

I hope you're not about to suggest ice baths... none of us want to hear that.

I feel like teachers pet now Gazelle.
  • Shaggy- thanks for that.  I like things to be simplifiedimage.

Mr Puffy- nothing wrong with a bit of football.  image

I've been using Fetch for uploading my data but can't use it for creating workouts.  Have just attempted to upload garmin training centre onto my laptop (again) with no success.  I'm getting an error message which I've sent to the support centre so hopefully they can help me to sort it out.

Tips on injury prevention- how about back off when it's hurting or you're not feeling 100%?  Haven't mastered this one yet.  image

• TIPS ON INJURY PREVENTION
    Post run recovery
    stretching post run
    Rest days
    Cross training
    back off when it's hurting or you're not feeling 100%?

The recommended way is to warm up gently to get the heart rate elevated then do some dynamic exercise applicable to the type of activity being undertaken, and then stretch post exercise to return the muscles and tendons to their original length.

I personaly just mobilize before running, then run slowly for the first few miles, (up to 5 miles on my long runs), and then cool down walk or jog after the run.
    I do core work after my 3 key sessions of the week and then I do static stretches (hours) after my runs, say in the evening and a couple of times on rest or recovery days.
    I have found that this works for me and as we age the stretching becomes more important to maintain range of movement and mobility.

• Scuba Trooper wrote (see)
    Is the expert out running to? are we the only people who run in the morning? The 5:30-6:00am starts are hard at this time of year but at least when I finish work my time is my own.

5.30-6am start! Now that's dedication. How many hours sleep do you have? I need at least 81/2 hrs to feel fine the next day.

Mr Puffy- It's good to change training days around if needed, our club is on a Monday night, a lot of members like to do their long run on a Sunday so pop over to the club for a recovery run or you get the mad ones who go for a fast runimage Best to go to the club rested as you don't know what you will get talked into once you get there!

• Shaggy- I like the thought of looking like an elite, just need to tone up, have a six pack and loose at least 10yrs of age! So if you can sort all of the above that would be greatimage

shaggy t wrote (see)

Mon77 - the pace of long slow runs , medium long run, easy and aerobic are basically the same, some will run their long runs a little bit slower but, at our level, run them all the same pace, it works for me, recovery pace though is definately slower and other speedier stuff is at the pace suited to the requirement of the session.

I'm glad you posted the above Shaggy, I was going to question the pace of my easy runs as before you took me on I was doing them slower as per some book I read! But I quite like my new set pace.

Scuba Trooper- I can't believe you mentioned Ice baths, Don't put idea's like that on here I think I may be allergic to themimage 

• TIPS ON INJURY PREVENTION
    Post run recovery
    stretching post run
    Rest days
    Cross training
    back off when it's hurting or you're not feeling 100%?

I have a foam roller which I use after stretching, I mainly use it on my ITband and calf's, I must go on the web and see how to use it on other parts of the body.

Ref shoes, how often do people change shoes? Is it recommended approx 400miles? So if you are doing say 50miles they would only last eight weeks! It must be more than that I think.

I use the last mile of most runs as the cooldown, am I cheating myself?

Shaggy ref static stretching, I'm sure I have read that you should only do these once warmed up? Do you warm up first or do them from cold? I do read a lot of things that contradict the norm. I do like stretching so could do more whilst watching tv ect on rest days.

• Me again!

I go away for a mo and then need to pop back, What about sports massages as a way to prevent injury's? I had one about two weeks into my 18 week programme, I was thinking of having a massage once a month. Would this be beneficial and when in the training should they be fitted in?

• I use my shoes until they fall apart.  I'm not a big believer in the 500mile rule.  If they feel fine and I'm not experiencing any problems why change?  I also tend to wear them for a lot longer than 500 miles.  A lot probably depends on how you run... I would imagine that some people get through them quicker than others.  I'm not going to throw away a perfectly fine

Only stretch after the run.  There isn't normally enough time to stretch after warming up.

Have never had a sports massage but have been contemplating one.  Got myself a foam roller a couple of weeks ago mainly for my hamstrings and I think it's working...

• Oh, I missed a bit- meant I wouldn't throw away a perfectly fine pair of shoes just because I've run a certain distance in them.

• I wear my old trainers for potting around, I only wear my running shoes for running! I went to a running shop and did the gait analysis on the treadmill for my last pair of shoes, they recommended I brought two pairs, I couldn't afford two at the same time. I looked online at home and they were £30 pound cheaper!