RW Forum Six 4.30

Comments

• That's what I thought you would say, so best to try an even pace all through. It's a 9 am start so shouldn't be warm at least at the start. Last time I looked the weather forecast said 8 degrees and showers.

Are the legs recovering yet? My planned 10k is now only 2 weeks after the marathon as it would have been 3 weeks after london so not sure that the legs will be up to much. Perhaps I should just take that one steady.
  • 9am start, 8 degrees and showers? Sounds perfect. I would go for 10:00 pace then image

I find the best thing after a marathon is a massage on the Monday, a walk on the Tuesday, an easy 20 minute run + yoga on the Wednesday, a swim + 40 minute easy run on Thursday, rest on Friday, bike on Saturday. By Sunday I am usually good to go again image

I think you'll smash that 10km two weeks out image

My legs were very achey yesterday but aren't too bad today. I have a 5km race next week and am doing North Norfolk Marathon the week after..... image 

• I walked Monday, Tuesday walked and swam. Rest today. Quads easing now and am going to run with the club tomorrow probably hang at the back ( usual spot) image

Temperature sounds perfect best of luck for a good run.

My next biggy is Edinburgh half on the 27th May and it's a 0800 startimage

• Well you are both recovering very quickly, of course I injured myself in my last marathon so it was 8 weeks before proper running, but I think I had a week off after my first.

I had a rest rather than slow run yesterday, weather was so awful I had a relaxing evening instead I didn't think it would hurt at this stage in fact I think slept better last night than usual which has got to be good image

Spoons another marathon so soon, you must be crackers image I am making a list of things I want to achieve in the next year though.
  • PM - I have 3 marathons, an ultra, a triathlon, a duathlon, a half marathon, a 10 miler, a 10km, a 5km, a 5 miler and a 7 miler booked in the next 3 months..... image

How are you feeling? Are you getting lots of rest and eating well?

• I feeling okay Spoons, came away from the supermarket yesterday with bagels, wholemeal pasta, fruit loaf and date and walnut bread image
    I am trying to get to bed reasonably early this week too.

The weather forecast for Sunday keeps changing but it seems to be rain and wind at the moment about 7 degrees. Think I may have to take all kinds of clothing for every eventuality. I am now going the night before and staying about 2 miles from the start.

Have run tonight, 3 miles at 10.50, 9.53, 10.23. managed to find a dry half hour image
  • Good good good

Tonight is the most important night for a good nights sleep

Try and get everything organised today and get your bag packed, kit ready, number on vest, chip on shoes etc so you don't need to worry about anything tomorrow. If in doubt take 2 of everything just in case something is goes wrong. (Remembering the time I pulled my sock and and it was so old it tore in half! I now always take 2 pairs of socks just in case image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Good luck at the weekend Pottermiss!  Hope you have a great run. image
  • Thanks Minni, weather looks awful for Sunday but I am packed and now off to bed image
  • Hope you slept well PM. Have a lazy day today. Don't spend all day walking round the shops. Make sure you sip water all day. Don't eat a vindaloo. Don't drink a bottle of wine. Watch a nice afternoon movie on the telly with your feet up. image
  • And no housework, no gardening and no DIY image
  • Of course, these are my rules for EVERY day, not just before a marathon image
  • Well that's me doing nothing today then image

Slept okay until 5.10 then managed another hour or so, which is quite good for me usually I am awake by 2am for a couple of hours.

I was supposed to going to the football this afternoon, but have offered my tickets to someone else and hope to be in hotel room watching the goals come in on sky sports for the whole afternoon. I think I have only missed 3 home matches in about 6 years so it has been quite a difficult decision.

I have all kinds of kit packed (long sleeves, short sleeves, vest, jacket, shorts, tights etc), I can't decide what to wear with the conditions. It now says 6 degrees feeling like 1 degree with the wind, which should be behind us for the first 10 miles and sideways/ head on for the rest.

I have packed at least 2 of everything as advised. And socks for over my hands which I can chuck when I warm up.

I can feel the nerves now but I always do. I have a couple of last minute things to do but should be away about lunchtime.

I feel full of carbs and really don't think there is much more I can do now, just hope for the best! image And remind myself that whatever the weather chucks at Manchester tomorrow I have probably trained in worse.

I will probably have one glass of wine image
  • All the best! You know you've done the training and are in good shape I just hope the running gods are good to you image
  • Thanks Flo Po, I'm off now
  • A glass of wine will help you relax. A bottle of wine will bugger everything up.

I'm really excited and nervous too!!!

Just remember all the brilliant training you've done. Being cold is a lot better than being hot.
  • I went out in the rain this morning and it was perfect temperature. Really enjoyed it. Did just under 5 miles averaged 9.50 pace and it felt easy.

Was so nice to run just because I wanted toimage

• Pressure's off now Flo Po. What's your next goal?
  • Well have Edinburgh Half on the27th May...Also have a 5k series which is local that starts week after next it is a very tough course.

Have a P.B at 15,20 and mara so would like a P.B at Half distance but it is an 0800 start and I don't like mornings...image

• Sounds good Flo Po. You'll have to get up earlier!!
  • PM, just dropping in quickly to wish you all the very best tomorrow (think we may need it with the latest weather forecasts), am sure you're going to smash your target !
  • Thanks Bruce, good luck to you image

Spoons - I will do my best image thanks so much, whatever happens i've pushed through many boundaries through this whole experience. image
  • Just heard how PM got on. I'll let her give the gory details!

But.... Fantastic, awesome, brilliant image

Well done. I'm chuffed to bits and you must be too image
  • Why are we waiting......image

Well done as we know it's good news. You deserve it...image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Oooh this sounds good! Come on Pottermiss - tell us your time! image
  • Well Spoons trained me to become a sub 4.30 marathoner and.....

I am!!!! 4.29.40 (by my Garmin) image

• I will do a race reporty thing tomorrow if that's okay, but it was tough and during mile 14 we had to run through about a half mile off road (i think) section on ankle deep mud and flooding image it filled my trainers and then it was just squelch..

Had a head wind for about the last 12 or 13 miles and for the last 6 I couldn't feel my fingers. I kept as close as I could to 10 min miles up to 13 miles I think the average was 10.03.

I think my chip may have failed before the finish as it last clocked me at 20 miles but I will look into it tomorrow as it might just be slow going up.
  • Oh and I am already thinking 'if it wasn't for that headwind....' image

link to Garmin: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/172924177

The stop at 5.6 miles was to take my warm up jumper off (it took me that long to warm up).
  • If it wasn't for the headwind, and the mud, and the rain, and the squelchy trainers, and the taking your jumper off stop.......

I honestly think you're in sub 2:00 shape for a half today and have a sub 4 marathon in you with the right training and the right conditions image

Now have a few glasses of wine and don't do any running at all for a week.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Pottermiss - very well done.  That is fantasic and really well deserved.  There'll be no stopping you now. image