RW Forum Six 4.30

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Lol!  I once fell off the back trying to take my top off whilst still running! 
  • HAHA! good effort minni!

if you want to watch something funny youtube search for people using bike rollers - hours of fun

• PM - mile rep pace should be around 9:00 - 9:15 pace which I guess is between your 5km and 10km pace?

The most I've done on a treadmill is around 13 miles ai think. I put a DVD on my laptop and watched a movie image

So the plan is intervals or hills with club on Tuesday.
    Wednesday easy run
    Thursday tempo run
    Saturday easy run
    Sunday long run
    Monday and Friday are rest / X training days

Do the easy runs nice and slow, same as the long run
  • Easy run pace around 11:00
    Long run pace around 11:30
    Tempo runs between 9:00 - 9:30 depending on length of session
  • Also I'm a bit worried about long runs.

If you are up to 8 miles and are thinking about doing 10 this weekend we need to get that distance up and we don't have long.

The more long runs the better IMHO.

22.1 - 10m
    29.1 - 12m
    5.2 - 14m
    12.2 - 10m - recovery week
    19.2 - 16m
    26.2 - 18m
    4.3 - 20m
    11.3 - 13m Ellesmere Half Marathon
    18.3 - 20m with 5 @ MP
    25.3 - 16m - slow
    1.4 - 20m with 8 @ MP
    8.4 - 12m with 6 @ MP
    15.4 - 8m with 4 @ MP
    22.4 - RACE

This looks much more like a marathon schedule to me. image
  • I love my treadmill!! Makes me mentally strong. Even done 21 miles - 3 hours on it when it was all snowy and icy a couple of years ago...image
  • Thanks Spoons, that really does look like a plan image

Ok I think that today I found good solution to fitting in the Wednesday runs, my employer has just introduced flexi time so I finished at 3.40pm and went for a run straight from work, I did the 5 miles and was driving away from work 10 minutes before I would normally leave, sorted!

The 5 miles looked like this:
    Split
    Time
    Distance
    Avg Pace
    Summary 50:29.6 5.11 9:53
    1 9:44.9 1.00 9:45
    2 9:56.8 1.00 9:57
    3 9:37.1 1.00 9:37
    4 10:02.7 1.00 10:03
    5 10:03.3 1.00 10:03
    6 1:04.8 0.11 9:40

That might look a bit weird as I copies and pasted it from the Garmin Summary.

This was slightly faster than easy I know but not a struggle (steady?), the 9.37 was up the side of a duel carriageway, I always go faster with loads of cars and lorries going past!
    I didn't see your pace guide until I got back.

I learned a couple of things: Don't eat a massive sandwich at 2pm then run at 3.40, (I am not used to running at that time of the day).
    Remember to take a hair bobble to tie back hair (not used to running straight from work). But I am so pleased to get it done as this was going to be the difficult one to fit in with the rest of 'life'!

So are we going to gradually increase these Wednesday runs too? Sock it to me while I'm feeling good image

Off to do important updating...

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    image running on the side of a duel carriage way!  Unusual way to get your speed up, but if it works. image
  • It was on a separate path Minni so don't worry, there was a grass verge between me and the traffic image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I have visions of you running up the white line with juggernauts on each side, wearing a big sign saying 'marathon training in progress'. image    And Spoons driving one of the lorries hanging out the window shouting instructions, while eating pies. 

I'll stop now. image

• Minni you didn't mention the big stick he was whacking me with if I slowed down image

A. A you must have a mind of steel, you could Definately teach me a thing or two.

• Pottermiss -  Spoons likes to keep the ladies on there toes .image

Sounds like a nice plan and you will have a lot of fun with spoons, he has a great sense of humour and has a passion for multimarathons,  got a spare weekend ? 4 in 4 days image  now how does that sound. ?

he is the man.

• Great stuff re: Wednesday runs. Will they get longer?

Well - that depends...... I don't know how quick you recover.

The question is if you run longer on Wednesday, or if you run too quickly like you did today image How will it affect your Thursday tempo run which is more important? If it means you'll be running slower on Thursday because you're knackered I would keep you at 6 miles max.

If you can run on Wednesday and still run strong on Thursday then upping the mileage on Weds would be great.

Whatever happens you should still slow down on the easy days.

What do you think?
  • Anyone else out there doing a spring marathon going for similar time to Pottermiss want to join in the fun?

If there's a few people with the same goal it's a great motivator for everyone.

The more the merrier! image
  • shaggy 4 in 4 would be a very long weekend but sounds like you have had some fun with spoons image

i will let you know how I get on tomorrow if I manage to get off the naughty step, I may have got a tiny bit carried away with my run today
  • Ok, so tonight's run should be a tempo run. Normally on a club run we would do 4 or 5 miles, so what should this tempo run look like? First a mile warm up? and then how many miles do I need to try and go faster for?

Also a slight problem with Saturday's run, I will be away all day, but I could do an easy run Friday evening instead, is it ok to just switch the days?

Have a good day everyone image

• Swapping Friday and Saturday is fine

re: tempo runs, I would start with 1 mile warm up, 3 miles tempo pace, 1 mile cool down. In Feb up the tempo bit to 3.5 miles. Mid Feb to 4 miles. March to 4.5 miles and mid March to 5 miles, always keeping the 1 mile warmup / cool down.

Therefore 5 miles today, gradually increasing to 7 at the end of March.

Make sure the mile warm up and cool down is nice and slow. image
  • Nice running PM - once you get into a routine with your core runs it will be part of your week to get them all in. image

Minni - do you have dual carriageways up your way!?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lol AA - no I don't!  The nearest one is about 35 miles away!   We don't have traffic lights or roundabouts or anything technical like that!   If I see more than 5 cars when I'm out I think it must be rush hour. 

• I have the M4 only 5 miles away image Makes me run much faster!

• Hope your tempo run goes OK PM.....
  • Ok ish will post in morning when I have access to laptop but first and last miles in the 10's and middle miles around 9.30's, slight blip in middle mile when I stopped to remove jacket and gloves 9.58 image
  • Sounds good. Try and keep the warmup / cool down closer to 11 and the tempo bit under 9:30 if poss but not if you can't sustain that pace until the end. Don't want you fading and slowing but you should be knackered as well (if that makes sense image )
  • I'll put my proper splits up in the morning, I don't think I was far off what you said image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Nice running pottermiss. image
  • Ok Hi everyone image Here is the low down on my first ever structured? tempo run.

The splits:

Split
    Time
    Distance
    Avg Pace
    Summary 48:12.1 4.78 10:04
    1 10:52.2 1.00 10:52
    2 9:27.6 1.00 9:28
    3 9:58.2 1.00 9:58
    4 9:30.0 1.00 9:30
    5 8:24.1 0.78 10:42

When I got to running club I explained what the plan was and two of the lovely ladies I often run with said yes they were up for it but they wanted to be back at the end by 4 miles in case they wanted to drop out there, so..
    We tucked in behind one of the slightly slower groups for the first mile, normally we would have gone off faster than that so it seemed a good strategy for keeping the pace about right.
    I couldn't read my Garmin the dark and we had driving rain in our faces for the first mile, so I had no idea of the pace, it actually felt faster.
    We heard the mile beep so picked up on the 2 mile, again no idea of pace so I ran so that it felt a bit harder than yesterday and I wasn't talking much at all! Under a lamp-post I glanced at the Garmin and thought I saw 9:20 something so thought I was doing ok.
    Third mile saw the rain stop, I got a little warm so I slowed to take off jacket and gloves and tied round waist, the Garmin showed I was stopped for 8 seconds but I think this was crossing a road. Near the end of the 3rd mile there is a steady upward slope which suddenly steepens (is that an actual word? I mean it got more steep!)as it went round a corner, this took the wind out of my sails and I walked for about 10 seconds image I did get right back into it though and completed the 4th mile fine. Back at the start we all did a little extra loop for the cool down but this extra loop was only 0.78 rather than the full mile, didn't want to miss out on the chat and good-byes so called it a day.

Could do better next week: The plan is to..
    Take off jacket at the end of the warm up mile.
    Prepare my self for the short steeper bit, and imagine Spoons in his big lorry shouting, eating pies and whacking me with his big stick!

As I wasn't checking pace during the run I was quite pleased to stay so much on target as usually I am rubbish at paces. image

For contrast here is the profile of last weeks club run:
    Split
    Time
    Distance
    Avg Pace
    Summary 51:57.9 5.05 10:17
    1 10:29.2 1.00 10:29
    2 10:18.5 1.00 10:19
    3 10:05.9 1.00 10:06
    4 10:03.1 1.00 10:03
    5 10:27.8 1.00 10:28
    6 :33.4 0.05 10:10

• Have a good day everyone image
    Porridge for breakfast now for me and my boy, he has 2 A level maths exams today image
  • Great stuff PM - that sounds perfect (except for the 10 seconds walking of course image

So rest day today?

What's the plan? I like to think of a rest day as more of a "non-running" day. I nice yoga or pilates class? Maybe go for a swim? A little bike ride perhaps? Or just stay indoors for a nice core workout?
  • Good luck to Master Potter in his A level maths!