RW Forum Six 4.30

1252627282931»

Comments

• pottermisspottermiss ✭✭✭
    Feeling ok this morning, haven't done too much this week so hopefully recovered.

Well the first 2 miles went well, then the knee started bothering me again so I had to take the rest more steady, I actually tried walking it off after 4 miles but only for a short time, Anyway 56 mins 04 secs and a wonky knee image

8.53, 8.50, 9.21, 9.22, 9.32, 8.54 You can see where I struggled, I would like to go for sub 55 with a good knee image

• And a PB of 4 minutes? With a wonky knee? Sounds good to me image

Just popping in to say Hello! image

I have spent the week telling myself that I shouldn't be disappointed with a PB of any kind, let alone 4 minutes! 

I have been out for a 10 mile run this morning but unfortunately the knee is still dodgy and I had to walk most of the last half mile. Other than that it was a good run though at mostly just under 10 minute miles. It's three weeks until the half marathon so I aim to keep ticking over and try to find the balance of running as much as I can without making things worse. 

I hope everyone's running is going well, and imagine that Spoons is on at least his fifth marathon since London by now! 

• Lol not quite

PB of 4 minutes is amazing and if I remember right in January a sub 1 hour 10km was one of your dream long term goals?

Tricky balance. You're right in that you only need to tick over. Fitness isn't lost quickly and a dodgy knee will slow you down a lot more than a bit of fitness lost.
  • Well done on your P.B pm...Hope your knee heals up soon.

I ran a 10k myself last week 59.19 not a pb mine is 56.38 but I was very happy with the run as ran it very steady and didn't go out fast and blow up.

My new plan is to slow down and get back to running steady again without stopping then trying to speed up again.

Edinburgh Half next Sunday...

• Well done Flo Po. Good luck next week

Good luck Flo Po, I will look forward to hearing about it!

I am happy with 56 for my 10k really, the more frustrating bit is the thinking of what if I hadn't had the knee problem, but I will just work on getting it sorted and then do another one image
    I am happy to say that I have managed to crack 26 minutes for our 3 mile club handicap,cut it fine coming in at 25.59 image but a Pb for that distance on a warm evening.

The knee is improving so I will try another longish run this weekend.

Flo Po - good luck!
  • Nice work PM image - that's a great time.

You're still getting quicker image

Helloo image

I am still recovering from the Potters Arf on Sunday, it was tougher than I remembered. The weather seemed to choose that exact time to get hot and the hills were relentless. 

I just sneaked a PB by about 18 seconds (but that PB was from a flat course) and I knocked 6 minutes off last years Potters Arf time finishing in 2.07. I hadn't gone above 10 miles in training since Manchester as my knee (which I now think may have been my ITB) started to hurt after a few miles, so now my legs are still sore. My knee didn't bother me during the race though.

I am thinking of going to Parkrun this week and I have a 10k next Wednesday, then I will get back into some speedwork and regular longer runs. image

I hope Flo Po had a good run at Edinburgh.

Spoons - That's an interesting new picture thingy. image

• Well done on your P.B great time...My Edinburgh wasn't a great run only managed a 2.17 was ok until 7 then my head dropped think it was the heat..It was boiling that weekend and I do struggle in the warmer weather.

Have signed up for the Palma Half and plan to train properly being on holiday in the states for 3 weeks in September may make it tough though.

I have managed to run two good races over 5 and 10k not my best times but good runs meaning steady pace and not too much negativity.

Went without my Garmin for a 5k last night and did it 1 min 30 quicker than over the same course a few weeks ago. Just tried to run on feel so maybe the way to go in races is just to go on feel.

Spoons hope you are ok too...P.M Hope your ITB flares down soon.

• Hello strangers! image

PM - great news on the PB and especially on the tougher course. If you're not doing an Autumn marathon then get back into structured training and speedwork. Long runs are still good but I would keep them around 10-15 miles max.

Flo Po - Well done on the 5km

Well done on the 5k Flo Po - I don't know if I could go out without my Garmin, I would feel naked without it image

Spoons - I will try and sort myself some more structured training out, I have been helping with the beginners at my club for the last 6 weeks, which ends in two weeks so it will be easier to fit things in then. And I want to get back to some proper speedwork, I have been doing some tempo runs when I can to keep it up a bit. I actually did 7 miles at 9.06 ave pace last week including hills!! image  I am missing being told what to do and need to get my bottom in gear now though.

I am looking forward to the 10k next Wednesday as I haven't done an evening  race before, hopefully it won't be warm.

• I like evening races personally - as you say, usually a bit cooler.

I need structure and goals, otherwise I don't do anything image

I managed to get close to 55 mins on wednesday evening, clock time of 55.12, it wasn't a chip timed race and I timed myself at 54.56 so I know I can do it now. image including a stop to re-tie a shoelace!

Back to speed training on tuesday night I think, all niggling injuries seem to be gone, fingers crossed, and I had a nice 3 mile recovery run with the beginners last night image
  • Well done PM - yet another PB?

Yes another PB Spoons image Still continuing a PB run but I know it will get harder and harder to keep it up 14 in a row so far I think it is.

I started back to doing speed work last night and i've also changed my flatish long run route to a hillier one, so back to structure and hopefully further improvement will follow image
  • 14 in a row! image

That won't last forever.....