RW Forum Six 4.30

Comments

• It was 10 in the end, just trying to get the Garmin to connect to laptop, seems to be playing up. Run did go fine though
  • Split
    Time
    Distance
    Avg Pace
    Summary 1:50:42.6 10.00 11:04
    1 10:42.2 1.00 10:42
    2 11:05.5 1.00 11:06
    3 10:50.0 1.00 10:50
    4 11:11.8 1.00 11:12
    5 11:36.1 1.00 11:36
    6 10:36.3 1.00 10:36
    7 11:19.1 1.00 11:19
    8 11:04.2 1.00 11:04
    9 11:08.3 1.00 11:08
    10 11:07.1 1.00 11:07
    11 :02.0 0.00 25:37
  • Maybe a little fast? but felt good, calves were protesting for the first 2 miles but were ok once warmed up, the faster mile was up a slope where I had to keep up the momentum.
    The slower pace meant no walk breaks, which I may have taken if I had gone faster, I am not very good at keeping the pace even though.

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/504669/Gallery/10_mile_splits_22.01.12.JPG

Just experimenting! image

Had to cross a couple of roads (busy main road at just before 5 miles), but mainly a good even-ish run, had a drink at mile 7 again at a road junction.

Was thinking about other things you may need to know and will post these in the morning. image

• I don't know how to do the quote thing, so I can't reply to individual posters image
  • Nice run PM - a little on the speedy side but you're in the range so it's OK and most importantly you didn't slow down towards the end.

Did it feel easy and comfortable?

Could you hold a conversation or were you out of breath?

Did you feel like you could have carried on?

Rest day tomorrow?
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Nice run PM with great paces. image
  • Morning!

I didn't get chance to answer some earlier questions - Spoons I tend to do all my runs on the road. I once went off road with a friend who suggested I ran while she rode her horse, we did about 5 miles over a big local hill, I made the mistake of running behind the horse, it gave a new meaning to the term fartlek ! image

I run on my own unless I go to running club which is only on Tuesdays and Thursdays, although one of the girls from club said she might join me when the weather gets better. But then I have to think about pacing again it could be more difficult to keep it down if I am with someone else.

Yesterday's run: No I wasn't out of breath at all, it felt very easy. The only problem was that my lower legs were aching a bit to start off with and they didn't like going up the hill which is just over a mile into the run. I did do the hill without slowing much though which I was pleased with as for the first few weeks back after the injury I struggled with it.

Once I was over that hill the legs warmed up and I was fine.

I could have done some more but it was nearly dark when I got back and I was on unlit roads with no light.

At mile three I saw a china mug hanging of the hedge! I knew runners sometimes left drinks in hedges but this is probably going a bit far!

I told my daughter about this yesterday, It along the lines of:
    Me: "You know how sometimes things happen to me.."
    Her: " What have you done this time Mum? And when are coming to take the photos!"

This response stems back from last years VLM when I got home to find my photo on the front page of the Times and three radio stations had left messages on my answer machine wanting me to do interviews, also Dave Bedford rang me on my mobile while I was having breakfast the next morning to say congratulations!

• Other things that may help with the mentoring bit.
    With the Chester marathon the second half took 11 minutes longer than the first half, I can put up the splits if it will help.

I am not really overweight but I feel that losing maybe 7 pounds wouldn't hurt, BMI 24.

I am a large framed girl anyway, 5' 8" and a bit, my trainers are size 9.5 which for a female is definitely on the large size, I get this all from my Dad. (Who used to run himself, when younger, as part of his boxing training, when I was a kid he couldn't believe he had a daughter who couldn't run, so now I am making up for it!).

Spoons, now that you know my actual name, I am sure you can look me up on the Run Britain rankings website thing and see all my race times in one place.

Rest day today, indoor core / strength work I think, I have an underused BOSU which could get dragged out. image
  • Morning!

Re: running on your own it can be a bit dull but training wise it is better for pacing and also better for mental strength.

Feeling easy and not out of breath is how it should be image

Re: lower legs, it sounds like you probably have tight calves. Lots of stretching and massage will sort that out. Have you got a foam roller?

How did you get on the cover of the Times? Are you a celebrity? image

Core and strength training on your rest dayimage Well done girl image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Oh this sounds very intriguing. Do spill pottermiss! image

Spoons - imagine if you've got a celeb on your hands!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Correction - you obviously do have a celeb on your hands! image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OMG I think she could be J.K. Rowling. image
  • No not a celebrity, just a chance photo taken by a photographer which both the times and vlm rather liked, it is one of very few good photos of me, and it was funny to find myself on the front of the paper image it was because I went straight to the fa cup semi final straight after the marathon still in my number and foil blanket, didn't have time to change! Main thing is my daughter thinks it's good and might pop down on marathon day which would be nice image yes I have a foam roller, I did get it out when I got home, I will keep at it image
  • Can you upload the picture?
  • Well done PM - nice running. Are you feeling more confident?

Yes - please upload it image

• I'll think about it image I don't know about confidence, but I have certainly done a few new things in week one so there is a positive change happening already image. Have just sat an ict test, waiting for result now :-/
  • Go on. Upload it. You know you want to image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Come on Pottermiss!  If its good enough for The Times.. image   How was the ict test?  Did you have to sit it in the bathroom? image

• Umm here goes then....
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/504669/Gallery/Times_Small.jpg

The ICT test went fine, got a distinction in spreadsheets!! And they let me sit it in a big room, with no baths or showers in sight image

Haven't done any core work yet though, might some press ups before I go to bed count? image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    That is amazing! Get that as your profile picture.  Love it!  image
  • Tomorrows run should look like this - hopefully

5M - 1M jog, 4 x 800m fast with 200m recoveries, 1M jog

oops click the wrong button, good job ict test was not in posting on here image

• Thanks Minni, but it was very strange being at Euston station the next day with my face staring up from the shelves!

Spoons - does that look about right for tomorrow, I don't know whether I can run 'fast' though ???

• Fab picture image

Press ups are great. They do your core too. I do 50 every morning the minute I awake up image

What sort of pace do you run the 800s at? Make sure the warmup, cool down and recoveries are really slow. Hammer the 800s super fast. But.... Not so fast you can't make the last one the quickest. You don't want to be slowing down throughout the session.
  • X post. Don't worry if you don't think it's quick enough. It's about effort really. Keep practicing and you will get a feel for speed and pace. In marathon training you could do 800s every Tuesday. Rather than trying to do them quicker each week, keep the pace the same but add an extra rep each week so you end up with something like 10 x 800s.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Spoons. wrote (see)

Fab picture image Press ups are great. They do your core too. I do 50 every morning the minute I awake up image
  • Never seen your speed work stats but I would guess around 4:20 - 4:30 per rep
  • Having not ever done 800s before, that I can remember anyway, I think it might be a bit of an experiment. Did I tell you I have hardly ever done any speedwork, ever! I always thought that if I was going to run a long way I was going to blooming well do it slowly... then I found myself here ! Any suggestions or shall I just see what happens.

BTW I am in living room image
  • Come on Minni. I'm sure you do too.
  • Never seen your speed work stats but I would guess around 4:20 - 4:30 per rep..... We'll see, I don't know if my legs will go round that fast image