RW Forum Six 4.30

Comments

• Minni - please will you tell me how to do that quotie thing - just look at the mess I've made up there ...
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Not if I can help it!

PM you might be surprised.  I hadn't done anything like 800s until last year so I know exactly how you feel!  They are hard and I almost cried at the end of some of them.  I did swear a lot, at myself, at my garmin and at my running partner if he was there!  Foul language too! image  But try and stick with it and it will pay dividends. I found it took a few sessions before I got used to even pacing them.  As Spoons says try and not belt the first one, which will then make you tired for the others.  

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    pottermiss wrote (see)
    Minni - please will you tell me how to do that quotie thing - just look at the mess I've made up there ...

This?

Click on  'quote'  on the bottom of the box you want to quote.  Go to your blank screen to post and click the quotations marks and 'hey presto' the quote will be put in.  You can then crop it accordingly (or change it which is more fun image)

• I've only really run up and down hills before in an attempt at getting stronger,  we did a session at running club once where we had to take turns in leading a a faster pace, but I wasn't going regularly then so missed quite a lot of the speed sessions.
  • Minni wrote (see)
    pottermiss wrote (see)
    Minni - please will you tell me how to do that quotie thing - just look at the mess I've made up there ...

This?

Click on  'quote'  on the bottom of the box you want to quote.  Go to your blank screen to post and click the quotations marks and 'hey presto' the quote will be put in.  You can then crop it accordingly (or change it which is more fun image)

Wow!!!  They didn't teach me this in ICT
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

imageimageimageimage  you can also quote from other threads!

• Doesn't work on iPhones, safari, google chrome, Firefox, iPads etc.

Works on windows + Internet explorer and that's about it!
  • Speedwork sessions are great and will make you loads fitter. Just beware you must run at a controlled pace. Don't sprint it so you collapse after 2 minutes. Think about the fact that you will be running for around 18 minutes at that pace albeit with a few rest breaks.
  • Thanks, i'll do my best. image I did do press ups (well from the knee as it's been a long time since I did press ups every morning), also did sit ups and wobbley squats on an upside down bosu!
  • Garmin is set up for the session so will beep at each rep as well as tell me to go faster! image
  • Just hit lap at the start and stop of each rep image
  • Hope it went OK?......
  • Might have messed up the garmin but did all the reps not had chance to upload run yet
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    ..... how did it go pottermiss? 
  • Well, it was quite hard, I had to ask at club which was a good place to do the repeats so on the first one I had not a lot of idea where I was going.

I had the Garmin set up to beep at the intervals but as I haven't used this function before I had not realised that it was automatically counting the laps, therefore I was pressing lap and moving it on a stage each time, I realised something was wrong when it said I had finished after only 2 reps image

But anyway the reps had been done and that is the main thing, and I am also a bit better at using the Garmin than I was before image

The last half of the run was recorded correctly, but by then I was guessing the distance so I was running for too long, just by a little bit.

I think it would have been easier had it not been dark, round a strange route, with puddles and on and off of pavements image

I need to change browsers now so that I can put up the splits...
  • Ok, so as I said I made a right mess of recording the laps image

So here, laps 3,4,5,6 added together are actually the first effort.

9+ 10 is a another but I must have forgotten to press lap at the end so it is showing slower as has included the recovery.

11 has done it right, but I did over distance as by now I wanted to throw Garmin in bin so I guessed the distance.

13 is also right but slightly over distance. And I think it was the fastest of all the repeats as suggested.

Please don't laugh too loudly, oh go on then!

Split
    Time
    Distance
    Avg Pace
    Summary 51:25.9 4.89 10:31
    1 11:28.6 1.00 11:29
    2 :06.0 0.01 11:34
    3 1:10.7 0.12 9:29
    4 :06.0 0.01 9:07
    5 1:09.0 0.12 9:15
    6 4:27.7 0.49 9:01
    7 2:16.0 0.12 18:14
    8 :01.7 0.00 11:28
    9 1:00.4 0.12 8:06
    10 6:57.2 0.69 10:05
    11 5:33.5 0.65 8:30
    12 3:21.5 0.18 18:28
    13 4:50.6 0.58 8:23
    14 8:57.2 0.78 11:33

I walked between reps, hope that's ok. I just feel like I want to go and do it again now and get it all down properly.

I felt I could probably do another one at the end and quite strangely enjoyed it! The girls that came with me would rather do hills!

Sorry about the mess up, how far am I going today?

Feeling quite good about he running and a fail at correctly using the equipment!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Did you set the session is the garmin training centre then transfer it to the device?  If so, you need never hit lap.  It will just automatically go on to the next rep and then you also know that each effort is accurately measured.  

What distance was your recovery?  There are a couple of nice paces in there - I think!

• Yes I did, but I thought I had to hit lap as well, oh well I know for next time image
  • I am rubbish with my garmin image
  • whoever said marathon training was easy, I just didn't expect to be mentaly challenged as well! And I usually like technology image
  • *pops head in and waves*

I'm finding out loads of new stuff about my Garmin too, Pottermiss! I thought I was quite good with stats and technology, but I have been well shown up as a luddite image

Hope the training is all going well image

• Waves back to frodo image
    It's going alright so far I think, good luck with your training frodo.

Minni - the recovery was about 200 metres, I just tried to make them last as long as I could (don't tell Spoons) .
  • OK - apologies but I'm struggling with work at the minute image

I'm also rubbish with Garmin setting! However looking at laps 11 + 13 it looks like around 8:30 pace which is slightly quicker than I was expecting to be honest! How knackered were you at the end? Could you have done more?

Walking the recoveries is fine image

What's tonight then? Did we decide on upping the Wednesday mileage a bit each week in the end? I've forgotten....... image
  • Basically with the intervals I would try and keep the pace the same, walk the recovery if necessary so you are good to go on the next rep. Up to 2 minutes recovery is fine. Then increase the number of reps each week. Aim to be hitting 10 x reps by the end of March.
  • 10 !! image 

When we finished last night the two ladies that ran with me said, 'but we will never have to do more than four, will we' I just smiled to myself and kept quiet. image

Spoons. wrote (see)

However looking at laps 11 + 13 it looks like around 8:30 pace which is slightly quicker than I was expecting to be honest! image

How knackered were you at the end? Could you have done more?

I feel I could have done another anyway, I was just focusing on the bit where I thought the end of the rep was and each time it seemed to come a bit quicker, so I was happy with that. 

I would have slowed if the reps were much further I think. But I was so distracted by trying to work out what the Garmin was doing , certainly in the first half of the session I wasn't sure what stage I was at for a bit!

Tonight's run has already been done, just going to post the splits now..

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Pottermiss did you set the paces in your garmin too? 
  • Here you are, I did a new route and wasn't sure where it went or how far, if fact at one point for about a mile I didn't have a clue where I was going to end up, then I came to a crossroads and could see my favourite duel carriageway up ahead so I went that way.

I tried to keep it slower than last week's run, duel carriageway mile was quicker as always (mile 4). Was having a great time until I ran by a plastic bag full of sick, image sorry, had to share!

SplitTimeDistanceAvg PaceSummary1:05:34.96.2010:35110:16.61.0010:17210:39.21.0010:39310:33.41.0010:33410:19.31.0010:19510:41.01.0010:41610:39.41.0010:3972:26.00.2012:18

Different route took me 6.2miles.

Edited to say that the splits didn't look like that when I last looked! I will do them again

• Minni wrote (see)
    Pottermiss did you set the paces in your garmin too? 

The paces were set as I had downloaded the session from the Garmin ready plan, but that was just anoying because the Garmin kept beeping at me and because it was dark I couldn't tell if it was saying 'speed up' or 'slow down' so I took it as 'speed up' and was suprised when I passed under a lamp-post to see it was really saying slow down.

I felt I really coudn't win with that thing last night, and now it's telling me it's nearly full, it's being so needy right now image