RW Forum Six 4 hrs

Comments

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    YES. No one seems to be doing that r*****g nonsense. I pedalled 28+ miles today, if that helps. Mr Frog drank some grape juice and says he ran 6 miles. I only saw him with the fruit juice...
  • I'm here image
    And, hold the press, I've run image both today and yesterday <thud>

I set out for a gentle potter with hound early yesterday morning, 4 miles worth; first two were horrid (legs felt heavy and sore, like I'd run a marathon less than 24hrs before - wierd) but the second two were lovely.

I spoke with the broken one this morning, and he advised either 6m tempo or 10m gentle. I kind of managed a mix and match option of 8m easy with some tempo bits (I mistimed the run for Benny's feeding time, so had to get back before I could fit in 10 miles). But it was all OK - calves a bit tight, but they often are when I've done sweet FA for a while.

I'll be heading up to the Lakes for a c30mile recce of the 50 course. There won't be masses of running in those miles (there's over 6,000ft of climb) and it's more about seeing if the Bear can overcome his new found sheep obsession, or our ultra running career as a pair may be over before it's started image
  • I did a simple 3 x 1mile yesterday at about 8 m/m

Long run planned for Sunday, not sure how far. My marathon is 4 weeks off, I want to do a 20 miler 3 weeks before it then taper, so not sure whether to do 20 this weekend and 20 the next, or shorter/faster this weekend and 20 the next, or what. Any advice from plums blobs or wombles?

My foam rollering activities are a constant source of entertainment for the new kitten

Edited to add: Womble said do 22 image

• I agree with Womble but as you are probably down the pub now I apaologise ;;;;;;

Do 22 next week though ...that extra 2 miles makes a hell of a difference.
  • Hmph. Did 20.3 but was knackered and ended up run/walking a bit in the last 3 miles. There would have been no chance of adding 2 more. It was about 10 m/m when I was running. Not good.

This week has been a bit badly laid out because of diary commitments, with no midweek rest day:

Monday rest
    Tuesday cycle (about 17 miles)
    Wednesday 10 at marathon pace
    Thursday 6.2 tempo
    Friday 3 x 1 mile with warmup+cooldown = 5.1 miles total
    Saturday rest
    Sunday 20.3 slow.

I may try the 22 miler next weekend if it feels better.

• The Hobbit Tales of Woe continued:
    Had to retire (first time ever, in any way shape or form) at the first checkpoint of the recce yesterday - 16m in image
    Don't know if the foot soreness caused me to alter my gait slightly, or whether the rough terrain (managed 3000ft climb and 2900ft descent) or if the Bear being on harness pulled my form out of shape, but my right hip went into almost permanent spasm, followed by my right knee.
    Less sore today, but still not right. Not to mention the (expected) sore quads from the brutal descents.
    *deep sigh*
    I will admit to being a bit deflated.
  • Hi Frodo,

That sounds awful - head off to the physio and get it sorted before it gets any worse. I felt a slight niggle a few weeks ago and  I kind of know how you feel having had to stop 10 miles into my final LSR on Saturday........

Diagnosed with a possible stress fracture in my right foot.................Misery!

• Oh no, Nelse - that's rubbish! image
    What's your prognosis?

I'm still sore and feeling sorry for myself - tried a 2 mile walk to Sainsburys earlier - too painful.

The full story is here, in case anyone is interested:
    http://sarahandbenny.blogspot.co.uk/
  • And I am out as well,,,,,,, though I am running a bit I will just damage myself trying to do the marathon on such a little base and I have bigger fish to fry this year,,,,,
    On a slightly more optimistic note I am back in the pool and will give a long bike a go tomorrow.

Stay safe everyone and don't do any more damage to your bits and pieces please
  • I've had a couple of days off with a vile stomach bug

planning on doing a long run on Monday

at least I am well rested now

• Managed just 19.2 in the wind and rain this morning, felt a bit sore (rather than tired), may be owing to a three-day gap

• I've not quite disappeared off the face of the planet, I'm on a canal boat in deepest, darkest Shropshire/Welsh Borders. I have managed some towpath running and lots and lots of walking, plus many lock gates (resistance/x-training).

Glad you're over the stomach nasties and back running Mike image
    Remind me, which marathon are you doing?
  • It sounds like you are in my neck of the woods Frodo, hope everything is going ok! image
  • Tis a bit damp and muddy, but a holiday is a holiday image
    I hear you're no longer doing London PM, but running past my front door (literally) in Manchester!
  • You have my full permission to yell at me to go faster!! image

I nearly ran up the canal yesterday but decided to stick to the road in the end, I like the bit where there is a sign that shows where England ends and Wales begins, I kid myself that I must be doing well to run in 2 countries on the same day! image

• I will definitely be yelling encouragement, if I'm back in time; over in Liverpool for a hen night on the Sat (which is why I'm not running it myself image )
    But I think both you and Bruce C will smash your targets there image
  • I'm doing Stratford in 3 weeks time image

so tapering has started

I will be supportering at Mudchute at VLM as always

• All winding our necks in gently are we...... I have a 10k tomorrow but will not be setting the tarmac on fire as my bliddy knee is still whinging...........
    Can we have a status report as to who is left actually capable of running in the thread of doom
  • I am left pottering at a very slow pace with one kaput hip and one half-working hip - muscle spasming all over the place in my lower back.

• I did a 10k this morning...... everything hurt because of the lack of training, hip knee ankle lungs shoulder........... image
    Proves I was right to drop London but was still reasonable chuffed with getting under 41 mins.
    Dont think I will be in Dorset though but will see how it goes
  • Well done on the 10K - hope you've not damaged yourself further image
    I'm not feeling positive about making the start line in Dorset, either.
  • Just been for a 1500 swim and most bits seem to be working pain free..... fingers crossed
  • Oh I shall miss you both if you don't, please get mended. Brighton today was pretty average, still had a nice day out and the best roast in ages afterwards.
  • I've got London next week - I reckon I've a good chance of a pb and about a 10% chance of sub 4. But I'll give it a shot. You never know.

((to all the injured out there))

• Go JB, I will be at mile 17 so will happily shout at you in an encouraging or threatening manner as per your preference.
  • Ta!

I may be in a state by then, though...
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    On the training I've done, I'm sure sub-6 is possible if anyone wants me to be them (strictly joking of course couldn't possibly break the rules).
  • I think this thread may have died

I have ten days to go, and today's plan is 2 mile jog warmup, 3 tempo (ideally at 8:30 miling), 1 cooldown

looking forward to mudchute