RW Forum Six 4 hrs

Comments

• Plum  wrote (see)
    Plum  wrote (see)
    and dont think for a minute that you are immune just coz you sneaked off to the speedy boys  image

was the above aimed at me?????image

Are you doing any marathons this year Plum? Still can't believe we were probably stood next to each other at Stratford.

• I am VLM ing.... and probably a couple more as well a not going stupid long in tri just Alpe de Huez

Really want a good time this year and am working quite hard at it but we will see, I am not getting any younger
  • What time are you aiming for?

Have you been on the beers I can hardly read the above???

• hmmmm it will start with a 3 ..... I will have a better idea of where I am if I can dip under 1.25 at the end of the month/ beginning of next month but bird flu buggered up a couple of weeks over Christmas and new year so am a bit behind where I wanted to be but we will see,,,,,
  • Frodo, can you not program your garmin to do the sessions exactly as Plum is asking you to do? Garmin Training centre ?

Then no having to mess with km to mile changing, and you get to concentrate on the task du jour as described, with all the warm up, distances or intervals, heart ranges, rest periods setup as requested. We can all have a butchers maybe image

Here's my intervals & recoveries from last night as described, sounds a lot like Plums. I used to be awful doing hills, but put lots of them in training last year, way easier now...but still felt like puking at end of these though.

• If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger, just nobody die on me please......image

We dont really  know about Frodo's recovery intervals yet Cat so waiting to se how it works out before actually giving set recoveries. 

I like Garnmins for that sort of stuff...... means you have to do it really or the whole session goes bosoms up

• Just so you know, I had planned a recovery run into work this morning, but late last night someone called and asked me to bring in something today that couldn't be carried in a rucksack.
  • FRC - I don't know how to programme a Garmin image I just like looking at the pretty numbers at the end image

Also, I'm a bit aprehensive about making my Garmin data public, as the maps would let anyone know where I lived? Because of work and other stuff I have to be uber careful about privacy.

• absolutely right,,,,,,,,, All we need is the numbers which you can just type out and post on here or send me privately and i will cull anything personal
  • LOL, you're using gps anyway... probably an israeli or US missile base tracking you a few thousands miles away. image

Plum  you can do a general instruction step of get heart rate to below xxx bpm, so doesn't have to be a set time recovery.

Frodo Will try find you a guide. Its pretty simple to use though, could load up the weeks instructions especially  for speed/ intervals and in km without switching.

• Gazelle!! I wish wrote (see)
    Ummm slaps......... What's going on here then?????
    It's involves Plum there will be some tickle at some point. image
  • Hi all - thought I'd pop in to wish Frodo and Plum best of luck in your partnership together and snoop on any advice given by the wise old Plum!image

I've got similar PBs to you Frodo and am desperately searching for that sub 4 hour marathon this spring so will be following your progress (and Plum's advice obviously) with interest.  I've got a place in both Brighton and London so will be trying to do two within 8 days image - hopefully I'll see sub-4 in Brighton and then can enjoy London a week later knowing I've got it in the bag!

Currently, training has been curtailed somewhat by an Achilles injury pre-xmas but have been having physio on it and am almost back to proper training again - managed a 6 mile tempo run this week on the treadie but long runs are still a combo of treadie and cross-trainer on physio's orders.  Luckily I had a pretty good base still from IM last August so the 4 weeks I've been on reduced training haven't had as big an impact on endurance as they might have.

• Hi Iron Mandel - the more the merrier, I say (it might mean I get to hide in the corner more image )

Will be heading out for Plum's interval torture-fun later - been one of those kind of days at work and I needed some tea, toast and a couple of paracetemol before braving the torrential Manchester rain image
  • Frodo, just a thought on the Garmin data thingy, if you use SportTracks (version 2.1 is free and the best one, you can import all your data in there and it has options to take screenshots of each individual bit so you can just do pace graphs etc.

• Good idea, Bruce - I'll have a play this weekend and see what I can sort image

Oh, I have runned, BTW - but Garmin Connect isn't playing nicely image so you'll have to wait until after I've had my supper for the big reveal image
  • Well, that was fun imageimage

In all seriousness, I don't think I've ever run anything like that before - those 1K reps translated to speeds faster than my 10K PB and I genuinely didn't do any short/fast work in training for that (I've never raced a distance less than 10K on road).

The stats are as follows -
    1st:4.44 avHR 180/max 189
    1st:4.41 avHR 176/max 188
    1st:4.42 avHR 176/max 187
    1st:4.44 avHR 180/max 189

I'm sorry I couldn't make the target of 4.30, Plum image

I was really in two minds whether to attempt this tonight, but I'm very glad I did. It's been a rough day at work and I've felt off-colour all day (literally - my darling husband's greeting this evening was, "F***! You look grey!" as I got in from work). But I had a couple of paracetemol, had a little nap on the sofa, and gave it a go.

So boss, what's the verdict?
    *gnaws lip*
  • *gives up gnawing and heads to bed*
  • sorry... just got in after a long day at work and managed to squeeze in four training sessions today...... two swims a bike and a boxfit class.....my arms are mush

That is unbelievably even pacing F....I am in awe......and the HR is around 85% which is just about spot on for some Zone 3 speedwork.....
    I shall go and think of some fun stuff for next week based on this weeks bits and whatever we get from Helsby

1) how quickly did it drop down after each set?
    2) keep an eye on your resting HR tomorrow just in case you are coming down with something
    3) recovery jogette tomorrow if you are up to it, of you feel carp bin it Helsby will be hard work image

talk tomorrow
  • Morning image

Thanks for the positivity - there was an aborted attempt at the final K repeat, but it just didn't feel right, so I stopped after 350m. That was run around 5.10, so not that even all the time! So I took an extra minute to recover before setting off for the last one again.
    Generally, HR was back under 120 within a minute, but I didn't time it exactly.

I haven't taken a HR today, but feel more myself than yesterday; after years working in hospitals and around small people, I seem to have the immunity of a brick wall and rarely get anything. However, sometimes I think I hover around the edge of being ill, and fight it off.

I've bribed my way to getting a lift in this morning, but plan to run home. If I feel iffy again, I can just get the bus image

• I did a 7-miler in the park at 10 m/m last night to test the hamstring and had no problems image

Perhaps it is all better -- for now -- I've had problems with it for five years so it's a long-standing recurring injury

Next week is off skiing

I may fit in one more run before that, then training recommences when i get back with Watford, so I then have 13 weeks to train

• Flipping heck, PLum is learning to boxfit,  better not offend him or it'll be a black eye
  • I have a mean right hook myself (Mr Frodo used to be a boxer) image

Good to hear you're back out running Mike image

Where are you off skiing? I have a bit of news on that front - a colleague has dropped out of a working skiing holiday and I'm taking their place, so I will be AWOL for a week too in three weeks time.

• A working skiing holiday, how do you wangle that?
  • There has to be some benefits from doing what I do image
  • cushy ! nice holiday/ work if you can get it... you're a skier then?

good luck with Helsby this weekend.

• Fit-Running-Cat wrote (see)

you're a skier then?

image Not really FRC - I went on a school skiing holiday when I was 13 (and had an argument with a ski lift that saw me smash my face, break my nose and chip a few teeth - long story) and then, when I was living and working in France, I used to go on my days off, when I could afford it.