Dukeries Ultra - 26 May 2012

Comments

• Ouch, that's not good news! No idea on the recovery - spend ages on Google and really get some good info - 11 weeks to go is still plenty of time.

I saw Roger posted on FB yesterday - up to 50 entries!

• Hi everyone

Had a run round the Elkesly loop today and the ground is very hard from lack of rain at the moment.  If it carries on like this you will be able to run the race in normal trainers, although I still feel more comfortable in my off road shoes.

I'm afraid the Clumber Park hotel won't let us use their carpark due to other events they have going on.  However the layby near the traffic lights is easily big enough for about half a dozen cars for next weeks recce.

I will be there from about 9:45, with a plan to start running at 10am.  So far there are about half adozen coming along plus DAYTREKKER (depending on shin splints) and rocker666 (depending on on going niggling injury)

After the run there will be a bit of cake, tea, coffee and water/cordial. And I may be asking a few market research questions about a new event we are thinking up at the moment for later in the year.......

If anyine else wants to come along, please drop us an email to info@dukeriesevents.co.uk

Thanks

Roger

ps 56 solo entries now and 3 teams!

•  HI ALL

Just To let you know myself and ALISTAIR STEWART will be running the Clumber ,Creswell,and Welbeck section of the route on Easter Monday Afternoon.This is not an official recce but if anyone wants to join us,they are more than welcome.We will be meeting in the layby on the A614 just after clumber hotel at 1pm;the distance will be about 18/20 miles,nice and steady.

• Quite fancy the 30 miler are there many doing this, and what timescales would be expected
  • Just checked the entry list myself - so far 17 in for the 30 and 47 in for the 40. Also 4 teams and 1 30 mile walker. Thinking of dropping in on this one myself if training goes ok this month.
  •   EG Graham -  I think its a 9 hour time limit ,here's the link for the web site  Home - Dukeries Events, 

• Well I think it'll do nicely, 30 miler for me
  •   who's up for the run on Monday ?

• DAYTREKKER - I'll be there Monday, raring to go much as I love my family Easter Hols childcare and keeping a good running schedule do not seem to go well togther!
  •  ALISTAIR- Hope you haven't missed to much training this week ?starting to get back to normal for me,after my few weeks off, Done 3 runs of 20,11 and 10 miles,2 bike rides and 2 swim sessions so far this week,got a 10 miler planed for the morning and then another bike ride in the afternoon.that will be it then until Monday
  • DAYTREKKER - Had a nightmare with job interviews and childcare resulting in a rest week, just two 5 mile runs and a two gym sessions, disappointing after two weeks of 70 miles a piece. Will get out for longer runs tomorrow, Saturday and a short fast one Sunday to make up some miles.

Good miles from you sounds like you are making a strong recovery. Might buy myself a pair calf guards seem to be well recommended by all.
  •  ALISTAIR - IM lucky i don't have child care no more ,son is now at UNI, I have  Emailed Roger at Dukeries Ultra to confirm some route changes he was on about at the recce ,don't want to be going the wrong way in Clumber.
  • Just back from running the Clumber, Creswell and Welbeck sections with DAYTREKKER, a very pleasant run in great company in spite of the drizzle. We both set of in waterproofs but as we slowly 'boiled in the bag' shed a layer and stayed at a pace just quick enough to keep warm. Some lovely scenery en route, pretty villages, Cresswell Crags etc. Should be a pretty quick section with lots of fire trails and some tarmac. Only a couple of climbs and one very small section of downhill which was a little slippy.

Below is a link to my Garmin data for the run:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/166394149
  • Glad to hear you had a good run yesterday. I was out for a shorter run in the morning and I'm hoping for similar weather next weekend for the Worcester Marathon.

Hope you liked the new route through Clumber. I think it means less time on tarmac through there.

• Roger, do the routes on the website include the route changes?
  •  Rich 1...NO ,I did the recce the other weekend, and was talking to Roger about the route changes afterwards.Then I got him to email the route to me,He hasn't changed it on web site yet though,if you pm me your  email address,i will send it to you
  • Rich

We are waiting to hear back from the events people at Clumber before putting the new map on the website. I have tried calling them again today but no one was available.

I'll post on here as well as send out an email to all entrants as soon as the website is updated.

RogerL-S
  • I'm hoping to have got you another victim, sorry entrant, Roger - another Fenland Runner, been training very hard for the VLM and was saying she needed a challenge afterwards....
  • Thanks Roger, Daytrekker - no rush, promised myself 2 weeks no running after The Viking Way! But at the rate I'm eating ice cream and chocolate, I won't be able to run soon!!
  • I am toying with the idea of entering this race. 

Like Rich, I have to recover form the Viking Way Massacre, before I pencil anything into my diary!

• Good call Ben - how's the legs??
  • My legs feel O.K, but I can tell that the cartilage in my right knee is inflamed, because the knee cap can be moved from side to side. 

Suspect I will try a short run in a few days!

• Great to hear of your interest in our race Ben, but hope you're recovering well.

As promised earlier I can now confirm that we have an offically amended route through Clumber Park and the maps can be found at the end of this Dukeries Route

If anyone would like to know more, please don't hesitate to ask.

Roger

• Would you suggest road or trail shoes for this event?

I think I am going to have to do this one!

•   Ben Davies... it depends on the weather ? if its been dry for a week or so road shoes will be fine as there's a far bit of road and cycle route [ will wear mine ].if the weather is like it is at the moment,then i recommend trail shoes,hope this helps
  • Well I'm in - been toying with it for a while. The only thing putting me off was that I'm doing Windermere Marathon the week before but I guess I'll just need to take that one easy!
  • I see part of the 40 mile course is currently under 2 foot of water and they may need to change the route (Facebook).... At least I know I'll need my trail shoes!
  • Divert around water! This an ultra not a road race image

• I was out on the route last Sunday,it was more like 3 foot deep,and 50 meters wide,had my trail shoes and seal skin socks on,but could have done with a pair of waders or even better a canoe.Ended up doing a out and back run ,which is what they plan to do on the day,if it doesn't dry out.