Dukeries Ultra - 26 May 2012

Comments

• I can't see the thing on FB about it? Where is it flooded?

• Sending form off today, recovering from the Fellsman last week but should be in good form by the 26th. On my door step so would be rude not to do this. What kind of pace are you all looking at? 

• rocker666...Its on the way back from the turn around point at ,its flooded from the bottom of the wood to the other side of the small foot bridge we went over on the recce.

run for it -running courses.. glad to hear your another up for this one,[there's a fair few of us on here now] Pace wise seeing as it my first Ultra i plan to do around about the 9 min mile mark

• Sounds good. Although I have done plenty of marathons I have only ever done Fell Ultras, 50's and the Fellsman etc..... where the pace is impossible to monitor effectively. Was planning on running about 9 min / miles and adapt as things progress.  

• Have done a couple of marathons [Nottingham my last one],mainly do triathlons.looking forward to seeing how i manage my pace over the longer distance,as I'm doing the Ladybower 50 miler at the end of September.Plan to do the 30 mile route in the morning but as i run to and from clumber it will be more like 33/35 miles,Will be about the 9.30 ,10 min mark for this as it will be my last long run.

• Hi there

was just idly browsing the forum and this race interests me. looks a fun route. i'd be coming down from Glasgow, does anyone know the likelihood of getting overnight digs in the area near the start?

also, what's the ratio for tarmac/trail etc? ive just done the Highland Fling and extended concrete isn't what im looking for image

Cheers

• oops just spotted the 'links' section. as you were image

• Does this event offer the facility to leave a drop bag at the start/finish?

• this looks interesting, either dukeries or welsh ultra 62miles, can;t decide,anglesey nearer for me but mega miles in one day..need to sort accomodation, any ideas? don't know area at allimage

• ironlady29...welcome aboard. Here's the link to the race http://www.dukeriesevents.co.uk/6.html,will find the info you need on there.

• Hi,

Are route cards given out or do we need os maps??

• The route is way mainly marked with  a green arrow on a white background [robin hood way ] .There's also a down loadable map or GPS route on the site,i have ran all the route,and haven't needed ether of them.

• IronLady - lots of accommodation nearby - if you will be driving look for Newark, Retford, Worksop.... ermm, there are camp sites nearby, don't know if there's any room left at the Youth Hostel - if you contact Roger the organiser through the website i'm sure he'll be able to help, he's a good guy

• Hi rocker...well done on your PB yesterday,I got a PW [ personal worst ],32 mile at 10.5 min mile,

• Hi Day - ahhh, but that's 7 miles further than I've ever runimage so I still think you'll have gone home by the time I get back on the day LOL!

•  rocker.. don't worry i wont be that far in front,i seem to be getting slower the more i do.Just been on the Dukeries web site 68 entries for the 40 miler and 1 relay team ,30 entry's for the 30 miler and one walker,looks like it could be a good turn out for the first year.

• thanks rocker, checked yha,room available only fri night,i live on wirral about 115 miles,could always run home hahaha

• Day - I know, I looked the other day - it's great, i'm really pleased for Roger, and really looking forward to it (apprehensive as hell as well obviously!!!)

IronLady - mmmm, rather you than me!!! I would offer you a spare bed in the caravan i'm staying in - but I think the wife and dog might complain (well, i'll listen to the dog! image ) Only thing I can suggest is contacting Roger and asking his advice?

• ok thank you for half offer haha...will sort out..will check out roger..looks like ill have to enter race now,half committed..image

• Well thats it..im in,just entered 40 miler....wot the hellimage

• Hi everyone

Thanks for all the support and nice comments.

We are so glad to see that water starting to drain away and are keeping our fingers crossed for a return of the drought. heavy rain now wouldn't be a help.

As of this eveing there are 101 runners entered plus the teams.

Ironlady if there is anything you want to know, please just ask. We are more than willing to go and check out the local pubs to find the best beer or food and report back ;o)

• May have to pull out of this - sore knee and ankle, and more concerning, Ive done absolutely minimal since Viking ultra. My head isn't the best at the moment and I have absolutely no motivation to go running presently - totally lost my drive and just can't be bothered image
  • Roger - Let's hope the water/drought situation eases, keep us informed.

• Rich1 wrote (see)
    May have to pull out of this - sore knee and ankle, and more concerning, Ive done absolutely minimal since Viking ultra. My head isn't the best at the moment and I have absolutely no motivation to go running presently - totally lost my drive and just can't be bothered image

Sorry to hear that Rich.... Sometimes these big events take out more mentally and emotionally than we realise.

EG Graham wrote (see)

Roger - Let's hope the water/drought situation eases, keep us informed.

Will do. It has been a bit of a rollercoaster this past week.

We have had to change the finish point to Edwinstowe Village Hall instead of the YHA. Full details will be sent out in the next couple of days as we are just finalising with the village hall commitee. Don't worry though it's only 0.3 mile further image

• Another thing is that we have added in an extra checkpoint at Hazel Gap on the way back just to give you a boost for the last 3 or 4 miles.  This means that we are looking for a few extra marshals. 6 more would be good.

So anyone who wants, please contact me through the website for a volunteer form. You will get an event t-shirt, packed lunch, the chance to "encourage" tired runners and a 50% discount on next years entry.

Please pass this message on to family, friends and running club mates

• Entered last night I must have been runner 101, my first ultra so expect small things, and I'll be doing the sheffield half the following day (woopse!) all in the name of 'fun'. I assume trail shoes are the best for the route? Liking the extra CP for the last 4 miles they are the miles that are going to get me - must eat more malt cake en route.

• Hi Purplehel, welcome to the madness LOL!!!

I'm personally wearing trail shoes, although which I haven't decided yet - my main reason for that is I prefer the feel of them. If it remains dry between now and then you could probably get away with road shoes, if not then trail shoes may be the best recommendation.

• I am taking trail shoes and trainers and going to decide on the day image

• Thanks Roger - you're right re big events. Will keep you posted
  • thanks roger, i am now finally sorted with bed/board, my friend resides part time at egmonton, can stay there, just down road, YHA full sat night with rugby group...thanks for help..great extra cp for final crawl

Purplehel im wearing trail shoes,however will take road shoes too..ooh half marathon next day,legs of steelimage