Dukeries Ultra - 26 May 2012

Comments

• For those that are undecided about which shoes to wear,Having now managed to do all of the route several times,i hope i can help,On the 40 miler there's roughly about 7/8 mile of tarmac and about 10/12 mile of hard cycle route, The rest of the route is fairly hard [ if it hasn't rained ] bridleway,with the the out and back section near Walesby being a bit sandy.There's a few short sections that may still be muddy even if it doesn't rain in the last few days leading up to the event.If raining on the day trail shoes will be best,

• Thanks for that break down DAYTREKKER. Nice concise description of the course... don't be suprised to see it on the website next year image

Maria is having a go at getting through the flooded section today as it is draining well, so will let you know later how that goes.

Only 10 days left till online entries close if there is anyone lurking around still trying to make a decision....

• I'm hoping the various new shoozies should be here by the weekend - so the last heavy weekend will also be spent hopefully arriving at a decision on what will be my ultra shoe of choice for the year!

Now I just need somewhere nice to go for a long run on Saturday, and preferably some nice weather to do it in image

• what are the options rocker? i've been in various combinations this year - even in the same race! was about to throw away my oldest mt101s but found out last night that the big holes in the uppers are great for draining out water. all this stuff about event-specific training,- if we're in ankle deep puddles i'm set

• I now have Brooks Cascadia 7 and Brooks Trail Demon that will be heavily trialled this weekend...so far the signs are good for both pairs. If not it will be the old faithful Salomon Speedcross 2s but I'm not sure they're good for 40 miles!
  • I used Speedcross 2 for the High Peak 40 last year and they were great. I've got Speedcross 3 as well now, but they've lost some of the forefoot cushioning. Not too bad on a route like ours, but my feet got battered on the April Lakeland 50 recce because it was so rocky.

Maria likes her Inov8s, so I may try a pair of Roclites next for longer rocky stuff.
  • I bought a pair of Speedcross 2 GTX in the sales when the 3's came out and they have been great for training in all the wet weather image

• I must admit to loving my Speedcross 2s, but they have started to rub in a couple of places, bought a new pair cheap and they rubbed straight away, which was a tad annoying!

Having said that I did the Yorkshire 3 Peaks in the older pair last month and they were fine...

I'll decide for sure on Sunday 27thimage

• Saturday 26th rocker! dont turn up on the wrong day!!!

• LOL, I know Andy - that's why i'll have decided for sure by Sunday - if my feet are sore when I wake up I was wearing the wrong pairimage

• rocker... Sunday is that your predicted finish time imageimage

• Daytrekker - Hell Yeah! I intend to make the most of this event!!! image

I'm planning the same for UTPD - the time limit is 24 hours, it would be rude to let the marshals go home any sooner surely?image

• Had a much better week - enjoyed some good runs image but had a bit of a tumble yesterday on some wet rocks - bruised knees, thigh, elbow, pride! 

Roger - was hoping to recce a bit this weekend but now recovering from above (!) - how well marked will the course be - I have a good track record in taking wrong turns!

• /members/images/132556/Gallery/PC030017a.jpg

Rich1 Glad to hear you had a better week despite the tumble.

These are the signs that you would need to be looking for on the way round the course, plus the occasional bits of red/white tape to mark anywhere that the course leaves the route of the Robin Hood Way.

I am going to be running the 30 route tomorrow to make sure everything is still looking ok and making some last minute notes for a set of directions which will be sent out in the final race notes.

Hopefully this will be a more successful attempt than last weekend when I tried to MTB round, got a puncture after about 6 miles, realised I hadn't got a repair kit and had to walk home image

The flooded section wasn't looking to good mid week, but it seems to drain quite quickly, so should be ok after a few days of dry weather. I'll pop down again early next week and see what it's like.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Only 2 weeks to go!!

• Roger L-S....Can save you a trip on the last one roger,plan to run the ten mile section myself on Monday or Wednesday ,depends when my running buddies free,can either post on here or send you an Email.Did the Clumber section last night,the first bit of the trail is now free of water ,but still muddy,should be fully dry by the end of the month,There's also a  muddy sections along limetree ave.the rest being mainly cycle route is  fine

• clairsterclairster ✭✭✭

hello folks image looking forward to this, whats the profile like? i am in for the 30 and will be enjoying the fun at the back image

• Welcome Clairster, the profile is undulating on tarmac, fire track and good forest trails. There are no significant gradients to contend with however there will be the cummulative effect of the undulation to grapple with.

Entry costs the same if you are a 'racing snake' and fly around 40 miles in 5:30 hrs or take your time and enjoy the route and company a little more, I am all for getting the best value I can!

• ALISTAIR........ Were have you been mate ? hope the new jobs not stopping you training,started to do my tapper down , just a steady 15 miles around the Clumber section again today, it is now all dry.Going to do the 10 mile loop either tomorrow or wed,Then may run the out and back of the start/finish next Saturday if your interested in a last 13/14 mile run from the layby

• MR DAYTREKKER, settling into a routine, just need to find some more running routes near the office. Definitely up for 13/14 next Saturday buddy. We'll get a reputation if we spend too long in that layby! You sound chipper, take it your usual bounce is back?

• Hey Clairster - guess we'll be running near each other then for quite a while! image I'm on the 40, but both routes stick together for the first 20 anyway.

Done my last hard weekend - should have started tapering really, but missed a couple of runs here and there, and still worried I won't get round! Did 19 yesterday and 13 today, so now I can start to take it easy.

Cascadia 7s are definitely the shoe of choice. Did the 19 yesterday in them, straight out of the box, no problems at all - that was on mixed tarmac, trail etc...so that's sorted!

• ALISTAIR.. Yes starting to feel like my old self,had a couple of days off after last Sundays bomb out.Then did a hilly 12 Wed,then a 20 mile bike and 15 mile run around clumber on Fri ,for a weekly total of 59,not bad for 3 runs,felt better today another 15 around clumber at 8.50 pace.[still a bit slower than normal]  Will Sat afternoon be OK

• Yup, fine with me buddy. Good hit for 3 runs. My pace is also way off, have been doing a fair bit of strength work in the gym that seems to have fatigued the legs, well thats my excuse and I am sticking to it!

ROCKER666 - Glad to hear you settled your shoe choice, pal of mine swears by cascadia's, might get me a pair too. 

• ALIISTAIR.. About 3 pm OK ? Haven't you heard rockers after a new job,Trail Shoe Tester Of The Year image

• Hi Clair - hows it going for this one, saw your Manchester time that was good, mine went to pot completely, hope this is different

• Breaking News - Sports brands are managing City analysts expectations for Q3 results following a sharp downturn in trail shoe sales; an analyst close to the major brands blamed the end of extraordinary trading conditions in the East Anglia region of the UK.

• I'd love to be a tester - at least that way I wouldn't have spent a bloody fortune buying all the different pairs!!!!

Thing is, i've got small feet, so flogging them is proving difficult! Every pair has less than 40 miles on them - I have some Salomon S-Lab 4s with 5 miles on them and no-one to buy them!!!

• Well, having recovered my "running head" last week after 3 great runs, I'm still feeling the effects of my fall - knee vs rock was no contest - and am still hobbling around like an old(er) man.

Typical isn't it but should be OK for race day but wanting to get out this week!

• A busy weekend! On Saturday Maria ran the 30 and yesterday I set out from Edwinstowe to run to the flooded area.

Unfortunately it is still flooded and as we can't trust the weather mot to drop a load more rain on us we have decided to amend the route.

So those doing the 40 will now go out on the Elkesly loop to the end of Green Lane in Walesby and then come back to Clumber to finish by the normal return path the Edwinstowe.

A new map with this section in will be on the website tonight.

It will also show the new finish at Edwinstowe Village Hall.

We are disappointed we can't give you the original route. However this will mean we have a safer place for marshals at the aid station and any supporters will also find it easier to see their runner.

Roger & Maria
  • clairsterclairster ✭✭✭

Thanks for the welcome folks image

EG - it was a case of getting it done!

So this sounds like it could be a case for a solid pair of road shoes then? I think my 295s may not quite be right? They were good on the sandstone trail at the weekend, but there were a lot of muddy fields! As long as there isnt much muddy, I think I would be happy in roadies

White Peak this weekend then full steam ahead for dukeries image

• Clairster - personal thought would be no to the 295s UNLESS we carry on with all this rain etc - take both, but i'd say go for the solid road shoes. I'm going with Brooks Cascadia 7s, which are a trail shoe, but nothing extreme in grip, and do go well on roads, something i'm not sure you can say about Inov8 shoes?

A friend of mine is doing White Peak, he's looking forward to it...