Dukeries Ultra - 26 May 2012

Comments

• Penguin33... go back to page 7 on this forum, you'll find my break down of the route near the top of the page,hope it helps

• Purplehel - There are currently 110 entries over the two distances. About a 70/30 split in favour of the 40

If you want to know more about the massage drop Alex a line at info@prehability.co.UK mentioning the Dukeries Ultra. I'm sure he can let you know what the arrangements are.
  • Thanks Daytrekker that helps, for som reason when i read it before i thought it was less than a mile on road, not 7-8. makes it easy to decide against the out and out mud shoes so i'll go with my road/trail workhorse (new balance 749) which worked for me at the fling.

unless my next couple of runs trying the hokas convince me to change...

• Another little trot out today - did the first bit from Edwinstowe to the A616 then the "wrong way" up Robin Way towards Hardwick -  to look for my earphones which I must have flipped out out my bag yesterday when I got my waterproof (no luck!) - and then back to Edwinstowe. A very pleasant 20 miles - Roger, this really is a very nice course. iPods should be banned in this race - the sound of the countryside is so restful!!

No problems underfoot - totally loving my Hoka's. Some interesting long uphill drags in the last 10km!! The one up to Hanger Hill after crossing Netherfield Lane is a cracker - about a mile just dragging up!!

Nav easy with map, except for me getting my left & right mixed up!!

Roger, only bit that really isn't clear with a map is the way through Cresswell Crags and in partiular the way out - which after a few dead ends, I finally discovered out the end of the carpark. There's a few places where the path splits and it's not immediately evident which is the main path. Without a map - well, I'll have mine on me!!

• Roger thanks for confirming the times, got you mixed up with Rich1 sorry!

Tim

• Thats probably an insult to Roger!! image

• Tim Bateson wrote (see)

Roger thanks for confirming the times, got you mixed up with Rich1 sorry!

Tim

Rich1 wrote (see)

Thats probably an insult to Roger!! image

Dont worry about it..... I've been called worse! image

Rich1 Really glad you've been enjoying the course this week and thanks for the nice comments. I'll try to remember to give your race number to the marshals on the day and let them know you're allowed an extra jaffa cake image I got lost in Creswell myself the first time I went through, but once you've done it or been told how to get through it's quite easy

The route description will be sent out at the weekend with final race details and runners numbers.

Hopefully that will answer any questions, but if anyone needs to know more please ask as early as possible. What might seem like a small thing on Monday might be more of a problem on Saturday!

RLS

• Jaffa Cakes.....yummy, love 'em image

• did someone mention jaffa cakes? never run with jaffa cakes before....I'll be baking malt loaf this weekend to take with me. What sort of niceties will be at the pit stops? so I dont clash with bringing my own.

• Keeping it simple on the aid stations.

Water, flapjack, jaffa cakes and banana at most. The one at Trumans lodge just water and the last one at Hazel Gap on the way back in flat cola and somthing salty like crisps or pretzels.

Post race their will be soup and bread roll along with tea, coffee or orange cordial.

Hope that helps Purplehel

• Can I have fizzy coke please? I hate flat coke!!

I'm in for the 30 at the back with Claire as I did a 24 hour race at the weekend so am going to be slow.
  • A decision has been made about the 40 mile route.

Due to how wet the ground is in the flooded area and the forecast of more rain, we have altered the route to have a longer out and back section.

The 40 mile runners will now cross the A614 head out to Elkesley, down through 2 farms to an aid station. You will then retrace your route back to the A614 and continue on the original route back via Hazel Gap and Sherwood Forest.

Due to an internet connection problem last night I wasn't able to update the website, but will do so today.

As usual, any questions about the race please ask

Roger
  • Nothing like a good out & back to test the spirit image

Roger - could you quickly confirm where the aid stations are please. Is the start basically by the cricket picket/amusement park? The website mentions printing off a parking permit?

Cheers

• Just seen your post on FB, Roger - presume most the above will be covered in the email! So feel free to ignore me (it's often easier)!!!!

• The car park permit will be sent with race details this weekend. The car park is just past the cricket pitch and will be for runners cars only as it will be locked between 8:45 and 14:00. It will be sign posted.

Check points will be:

Hazel Gap (30 and 40)

Car park at Creswell Crags (30 and 40)

Truman's Lodge (30 and 40)

Layby on A614 (30 and 40)

Haughton Farm (40 mile only)

Layby on A614 (second time for 40 milers)

Hazel Gap (30 and 40)

Finish - Edwinstowe Village Hall

Hope this helps
  • Great - thanks

Breing completely anal and with the map in front of me - Haughton Kennels Farm, Haughton Park House Farm or Haughton Hall Farm?!?! image

• thanks Roger, can you possibly add to that list above of where the CPs are the milage for each of them. Wanting to know the biggest diff between CPs so that I can judge bottles/bladder situation!

• Hellen, looking at the map there are all about 5 miles apart, give or take image

• Rich Haughton Hall Farm, just before the left turn in the field.

Helen

Check points will be:

Hazel Gap (30 and 40) 6 miles

Car park at Creswell Crags (30 and 40) 12 miles

Truman's Lodge (30 and 40). 16 miles

Lay by on A614 (30 and 40) 21 miles

Haughton Farm (40 mile only) 26 miles

Layby on A614 (second time for 40 milers) 31 miles

Hazel Gap (30 and 40) 34 miles. (24 miles)

Finish - Edwinstowe Village Hall. 40 miles. (30 miles)

Obviously we haven't been out with a measureing wheel, so these are approximate distance and you need to allow for GPS differences and rounding.
  • clairsterclairster ✭✭✭

this is looking fab! CP seem nciely spaced to keep us going image

does anyone who's run the 30M route in training or whatever have a GPS trace of the route?

• You can download one from the website. But if you wait till this evening you will get the final version.
  • I've taken the gpx route and stuck it up on a hidden non accessible webpage in a google map as I appreciate its copyright (just for my own viewing) so will be scrutinsing that this weekend, looking forward to next weekend though getting rather aprehensive. Thanks for all the info and keeping us up to date with everything - very thorough. 

• Purplehel - "a hidden non accessible webpage" that's just how our website felt last night when I was trying to update it!
  • Cheers Roger - just want to say thank you for your presence on here, and all the advice and info you're sharing. We should hold you up as a model for all RDs!

I'm getting excited...and nervous...and panicking about my dodgy left leg which means I haven't run since the weekend (I know i'm meant to be tapering but this is ridiculous LOL)

• Yes, I second the thanks image

Knee still sore but s*d it imageimage

• clairsterclairster ✭✭✭

yes, huge thanks for keeping us all informed image

• Thanks for the compliments, but lets see how next weekend goes....

Had a look on a 10  day forecast and at the moment there is sunshine and about 18c, so don't forget your hats and sunscreen if it stays like that image

• ohh sunhat / cap that hasn't been out since those two hot sundays in June last year. At least it will be a shady route I hope?

• Took a sociable trot out with MR DAYTREKKER today, we did the start / finish leg as an out and back, gps data below:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/179781275

As ever MR DAYTREKKER kept me honest and going at a decent clip. Managed a subtle handicap, carrying just a handheld bottle to MR DAYTREKKERs full hydration pack and even managed to offload my waterproof to him to add just a smidge more weight to his load. He bore the extra weight manfully indeed!

• Yes,thank you for that ALISTAIR, just don't know how i would have stayed with you otherwise image.Did an extra 1.2 mile after you left at a nice 7.40 pace ,just to round it up to 15 miles for the day image Feeling rather good,and looking forward to next week.