IM 16 - 17 hours club

Comments

• Heres an article about it:  Scroll down to the bit about genes.

Why some of us don't get any faster

• I heard about it at work the next day, but unfortunately missed it. How it was explained to me was that, basically I was wasting my time doing all this training, all I need to do is a quick blast on an exercise bike three times per week, and that would make me fitter image

• I don't think its that simple bp.  Its how the program made it out but I'm not convinced.  The bit about genes makes some sense though.  I think endurance can still be built up - I've done it by going from 4mile runs to marathon which I couldn't do on 12mins a week I'm sure!  But it does explain why I can train and train and train and see no results apart from keeping going longer at the same pace. I might put some high intensity stuff in to the long slow stuff and see what happens, which is what Fink says anyway but I've conveniently ignored that bit.

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    Soupie

I'm the same conveniently ignore what I don't want to do!
  • I've read the article properly now, and I agree Soupy,as I suspected, it isn't as simple as that !!

The genetic factor is interesting. I was a slow runner, now I'm a slow runner, slow cyclist and a slow swimmer. I have been trying to do the Z4 Fink stuff, but I must admit I struggle with it especially outdoors, and have only really done it when I've been on the treadmill or turbo over the past few weeks.

It probably doesn't help that I don't actually believe it will make me any faster

• Am going to watch the programme later! Is it Michael Moseley presenting? He was brilliant on the Brain series!
  • Yes it is SB

I watched it last night and I think it's fairly safe to say that if I were to be genetically tested I'd be a "non responder" - story of my life!!

Like BBP I've been slow all my life in all sports and no type of programme has ever succeded in making me significantly faster!! At least now I can blame my genes image

• woohoo... so being a plodder is genetic ... that means i'm not destined to get any faster and can forget all this training mallarky, accept that 16hrs 42 is as good as it'll get  and can get back to eating cakes image
  • First track session @ 7.7 min/mile. Embarrassing point of the day.. When I reached the final stretch home on my bike back (2.5 miles) and a runner from the session cheerfully jogged past me on The Hill waving hi. Oh, and I was walking my bike at the time..

I think the fibre distriution in your legs can ony be condusive to fast or slow running depending on the distribution of each?
  • The takeaway I got from Horizon was that if you do nothing, then 3 minutes a day/week can be as good as real exercise i.e. to "keep-fit.

Whereas us lot need specificity in training, not to become fit, cos we already are. But to be able to perform at what we do. You can't do a 10mi TT or a half marathon on 3 minutes HIT a week. You might be cardio fit, and burning some form of fatty tissue, but you ain't fit fit.

I didn' get the bit about breaking down the glycogen. I though we needed to store more?

SB - good effort!

• Just watched the Horizon - I think it caused more questions that it answered! Very confusing. I'm worried about the message they've sent out that gives people an excuse not to get up and go!
  • i watched the first 10 minutes of that...then realised it was the usual hour of crap the bbc turn out.
    'amazing discovery....exercise effectiveness depends very much on the individual'

no sh1t sherlock!!!!
  • Good news for you 16-17 hour folks. The new bike route is flatter than last year's, and last year's was a friendly course. So (without wanting to try to teach anybody to suck eggs) maybe think about getting your aero bars on the bike nice n early and get your body trained to stay low & narrow?

(Said for the benefit of the genuine 16-17 hour novices in here, and not the numerous "sand-baggers" who are secretly hoping to go sub 14) image image.

• Does everybody except me have aero barsimage
  • image Oh thats tecical talk. I've got the cheapo bolt-on tri bars fitted to my bike but rarely use them with all the hills I bike on. They are worth it but a bit scary. If your thinking off getting them fitted I'd try them out on a turbo for a bit before you get on the road because of the different position your body will be in. At the end of the day they are good but nothing beats training kiddo.
  • Does everyone use areobars? I don't think I've seen them on any bike so far. How often do you use them?

My question is about communting to work. I bike 2 miles there and back, often twice at the moment (although my thighs are struggling to get used to giant hill) - Can I use these as my bulk training time (minus my weekly long ride), or are they junk miles since it's 10 minutes or so of riding at a time?

• Seabisciut in the past I've gone the long way round to work and got in some training that way to fit it all in. I was intil reseltly about the same distance away from work as yourself. It all counts but 2 miles isn't that long to be of benifit for the biking but would be useful for your confidence and getting on the bike every day so still useful.
  • i used to have aerobars on my road bike.....but then i saw some pictures and i might as well still be on the shoulders for all the 'aero-ness' they gave me....i had a bike fitting and bought a new bike form a guru (mike at bridgetown cycles) and he suggested putting them on...but if only using them 10% of the time they were just weight!!
    so top and bottom in my opinion....if you have a good road bike setup....comfort is more important than aerodyamics....so just use the drops when your flying down the hills.

• I'm well wobbly if I reach for drink, so I've no chance with aero bars

To be honest, at the moment, I'm just trying to ride my bike as much as possible. All my riding is in Forest of Bowland which is hilly, so I am trying not to worry about how fast I'm going, just time in saddle. Whether this will back-fire on me on the big day time will tell - the speeds I'm rding at currently, I won't make the bike cut, BUT there's a lot of riding to do yet, so I try not to think about it.

• </delurk>

Aero bars, basically +1 to what Cake said.  One of our more frequent posters has never used her aero bars apart from for drying clothes, but if you can get used to them they get you more aero (=free speed) and they offer another position on the bike (=different pressure point on your undercarriage=not so sore as you can change positions).  You will be a bit wobbly the first few times you try them out and you'll need to be sure that you try them when you won't need to brake suddenly (so don't use them when riding in a pack).

</lurk>

• bbp, there is still loads of time to pick up strength and the associated gains in speed.  I'm doing my first ever tri at Outlaw and I try not to think of the day in terms of where I'm at now, otherwise I'd pack it in.

I just do the training and put in the required effort/time in accordance with my training schedule.   I take every day as it comes and I have good training sessions and some disastrous ones.

I'll do a half IM distance as a sighter and I'll have plenty of long brick sessions before Outlaw.  But as far as a time goes I'll not have a clue until I have a go at it....on the day.

Even if I was super fit and super confident, both of which I'm not, so many other things can go wrong on the day to stop a finish.  We can just prepare the best we can and take whatever fate throws at us.

I think I want aero bars (not the bubbly chocolate type), but I don't really know what ones to look at.  I'll probably procrastinate and turn up July 1st still wondering should I have bought them.

• and you can get an aero bottle that fits betwwen the areo bars so you don't have a to take a hand off to grab a drink
  • slowerthanilook wrote (see)

get your body trained to stay low & narrow?

My hips don't do narrow................................ image image
  • VT'd, totally agree with you on the training, one session at a time.

I've done marathon training in the past, and I've usually been a bit carp at sticking to my plan. I can honestly say I am definitely sticking to the Fink plan, errr well except for the swimming.

I already feel a bit "all the gear and no idea!", so aero bars do seem another step in that direction.

I've got a local sprint in April, and I'm on the list for the "DIY HIM" that Silent Assasin is organsing in May, plus the Great North Swim in June.

• BBP...if you can ride round the forest of bowland you'll be fine on a flatter course...dont worry about the speeds your doing.....flatter course (there isnt much flat round here as you know)...closed roads....better trained by then.....should be good for 2-3 mph at least faster.
    which local race you doing??
  • Hi Andy,

I'm doing the Stonyhurst Tri on 22nd April. It's the first time it's been held. Should be a good warm up race, 400m pool, 21km hilly bike and 5km run.

The bike rides goes over Jeffrey Hill, at the top of Longridge Fell, if you know it. That hill is my nemesis!! It's a beast image.

Check it out, it looks like a nice low key event, in lovely countryside

• Lots of great info - I'll leave the aerobars until much further down the line for sure if they're not essential for making up masses of time.

My legs definitely need a lot of bike work! At the moment I can't get up The Hill on the way home (which I could on Tuesday) image Once they've stopped burning I'll map out a longer route home - Great idea Cake.

Bbp, it's lucky we know that it's physically possible!

• Ref aero bars.... ferret makes a great point, which i'd missed.... i dunno how many of us are doing genuinely long rides at the moment, but as well as giving you free speed, the extra riding positions they provide take soooooo much stress out of your neck and shoulders, and we'll all value that after 5-8 hours in the saddle! One other thing i remembered..... for those nervous about their bike handling.... it's an unwritten rule that you NEVER use them on group rides. Don't give the roadies an excuse to call you a twat.

You can get an adequate pair of clip-ons for less than £50, but save them for your solo rides image

+1 to Andy's comment, plodder.... if you're wrestling with Bowland's finest, you're getting a great strength base. Race day will all feel like you're riding downhill. Honest!