Options

IM 16 - 17 hours club

Comments

• Options
    bburn plodder wrote (see)

I've got a local sprint in April, and I'm on the list for the "DIY HIM" that Silent Assasin is organsing in May, plus the Great North Swim in June.

The bars I've got are in the cheap but not cr*p bracket if your doing the DIY tri saturday wondering if worth while taking then off and seeing how you like them on your bike? Thats before the race not during as would be madness. Plus if I can't get them back on again that's anouther daft cake story for my muppety colection. imageimage

Really good throughts on here about them but something to add is unless you pay a lot of cash for a bracket getting a front light on areo bars can be challenging. I've been experimenting for a couple of years to get that right and still not conpleately happy with the results.

• Options

So the bike course is up!  image

All I've got to do now is get my training back on track. Not done much of anything this last couple of weeks.  Got sent home from work on Wednesday by occupational health (embarrassing or what) and was started on antidepressants yesterday.  I feeling really muzzy-headed now and not safe to be riding a bike thats for sure but hopefully that will wear off soon and I can get going again. I t  image 

On aero bars - I've got these as recommended by the lovely Mouse.  They are not quite as long and scarey as some others I've seen (oo, er, missus).

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/223573/Gallery/pd_aerobar_jammergt_angle_1.jpg

• Options
    Soups hope you start to feel better soon.
    Got my bike fixed and picked it up today.Going to do a 30 miler in the morning.Then Ive got Haweswater half on Sunday,my Birthday.I got some areo bars a few months back.Only used them a couple of times.My tip is only use them on roads you know until you get confident.
  • Options

And watch out for other road users who can't see you when you on them!

Had a SMIDSY moment today when someone reversed out of their drive into my lane. The extra time needed to get to the brakes made me think it was going to get messy.

• Options
    Jeez Soupy... that sounds rough. Get yourself well soon!
  • Options

Just read back what I put - not as bad as it sounds, just went back to work too early after 3 weeks off. Embarrasing all the same.  Side effects of flippin tablets are pants though. I've gone off the taste of alcohol - how bad does it get! image  Still aiming to do this though, the training will do me good and as my bitch of a boss is trying to block my holiday for it I'm sure as hell not not giving it up. I thought it was just me getting a hard time but just learned she's refused a colleague time off for her honeymoon that she booked last summer!  So thats 2 formal grievances about the same person gone in within the same month. What a bitch.

Sorry - rant over.  Run planned for me tomorrow which I'm actually fired up for and looking forward to - hurray!!

• Options

Morning Soupy

Good for you for not letting her get you down - your sticking to your Outlaw plans and doing it and completing it (which I'm sure you will) will be the best "2 fingers" you can give her.....

I can't imagine she's going to get away with this behaviour much longer..........was this your original boss from this job before your temp period away at the other job? If so did she use to be like this?

anyway - you keep going and feel free to rant anytime you want - if you can rant in here then it may help you get off those pills and back onto the alcofrol in true pirate fashion imageimage

I'm off for a very wet day out by the looks of things so Happy Sundays all whatever you're doing

• Options

Morning Podds. Wet day on the cards for me too, not the introduction back to running I'd envisaged but I've said I'm doing it so I am.  Yes, same boss whose always been bad, but she got worse when I moved to the promotion secondment and even worse still when I left that to go back. Occy health is being great I have to add and have told her twice, in no uncertain terms, that her relationship with me has completely broken down and I can't go back till its sorted. I've done a 10 page chronology and  I'm on the waiting list for some CBT so hope I'm not on the pills for long. I've been told to exercise in the mean time. image 

Porrige finished, kit sorted - time to get wet.

Have a good day everyone.

• Options

That sounds rough Soupy, hope it all gets sorted soon. I'm sure keeping up the exercise will help keep you positive.

Cake, thanks for the offer re: tri bars. image 

I was pleased with my ride yesterday, 3hrs 02 mins, 39.48 miles !! Only checked the distance after I got home, otherwise I'd have gone round the block for half a mile, to make it a round 40.

• Options

I hope it all works out for you Soupy.

Don't forget we're here for CBT (Cat's Bike-ride Therapy) if you need it!

BTW - I have some aerobars I don't need any more. triathlon style ones. Make me an offer people...

• Options

did the Mad March Sportive today. Very wet and very cold. Forgot my gloves and paid for it big time. Couldnt feel my fingers after about 30miles and even changing gear was a problem let alone undoing zips to access food. rain for most of it and we were treated to heavy snow at the top of the big climb.

ah well lesson learnt and 76 mies (very slow) in the bank

• Options
    where has everybody gone?? have we all migrated to the IM training thread or something???
  • Options
    I think a few people are atually training at the moment. image Shocking me thinks we need to put a stop to it quick. image
  • Options

Training's going that well everyone's moved up to the 14-15 hour thread.

• Options
    image just sickening ... training this far in advance ... and they call themselves Pirates image
  • Options

Bburn Plodder - if you are cycling over longridge fell and some of the other hills we have up here in the Forest of Bowland, you'll find the Outlaw course quite easy.

The hills will build your leg strength, you just need to work on your cadence for getting your speed up on a flatter course.

Good luck.

Training? It'll never catch on.

• Options
    Anyone fancy a pint?
  • Options

Thanks for the encouragement Ironholgs image, although I have to confess I get off and push up Jeffrey Hill image, on a positive note, I can get over the fell approaching it form the other side image

Pint ? Yes please, always up for a pint image

• Options
    My training starts in earnest on 15th April. Then on 19th April I'm doing LEJOG. That should get me fit enough to get around I hope!! Not started running yet due to dodgy knees!
  • Options

Just about ticking over at present, run OK and up to 15 miles, bike up to 50 miles but at the end of me beans, problems with swim getting a lot of chest pain, burning and have to stop every 50 metres to let loads of air out. Not good. Quack arranged for next week on Weds. image

Looking at running beginners guide to Surrey Hills again soon, Emphasis will be more on progress this time and maybe a bit longer as everyone should be in a much better state anyway...LOL. Will likely include Whitedown as a warmup and Barhatch near the end image and pussy Boxhill in the middle.

• Options
    looking to bring a "park and run" day into my training schedule from next week image .. usually have 1 or 2 days that i drive in instead of cycling , possibly gonna use one of those to park a few miles out and run in .. just need to find somewhere to park where i stand a fighting chance of still coming back to a car .. the loosely thought out plan being to increase the distance every couple of weeks until i can manage the full 13.
  • Options

Good idea Slag.

Glad to hear you're still alive DB. I'm not swimming this week due to shoulder (that seems to have calmed down alot since Sun/Mon/Tue). Maybe next week I'll do only kicking.

I'm up for a begginer's guide again. GB and I will be organising an Olympic TT route ride on fast and pointy bikes at some point too.

• Options
    Count me in for that one Cat!
    I know it's been done before, but how about doing the route on Boris Bikes?
  • Options

Evening.  Some good training going on here!  Or is everyone really down the pub?  I did 20 miles on the bike today and swam yesterday.  I might be up for a beginners option again but Barhatch doesn't sound very beginner-like.

• Options

80 miles on the bike yesterday has definitely given me more self belief. This was a big jump up in distance and climbing. I was worried that I may have to bail and cut down to 60 miles. I can recommend a sportive as it was much easier with people to chat to and a well signed and interesting route. 

I was really surprised that the extra distance was okay and no major discomfort. I have now taken the plunge to do Liverpool HM next week, hopefully that wont take away my new found belief image

• Options

MT your confidence and fears are the opposite to mine.  I am eagerly lining up one HM after the other, some of them hilly and off road, but the jump up from my longest 55 mile bike ride to beyond is concerning me.

I don't feel particularly spent after 55 miles (done it twice now), but I know that I'll soon be looking to get my distance/speed/confidence up and that may need a few group rides. 

Our local cycle clubs are touring every Sunday, but they are on facebook commenting on their 20+ mph averages over 70 mile runs.  I cannot committ to that sort of pace as both my long rides have been 15.5 and 16 mph respectively.  Even their B group is setting over 18 mph averages.

Currently I think I'm doomed to ride on my own, searching out my own routes and entering sportives as an individual until I get through Outlaw.  Then perhaps I'll have the confidence and strength to hook onto the back of a slower group.

Good luck with Liverpool.  My daughter is running it, she tells me for my Birthday (how does that work?)

• Options
    VT - some people use auto stop on their garmin and still use that figure as their average, don't worry too much
  • Options

Hi Vt'd,

I do a lot of my riding on my own and am of a similar speed to you. However you may well be suprised that when you train with a group it is a lot easier to train at the higher speeds. A combination of drafting and talking to take your mind off things are a great help. Maybe you could try the 18mph group with the thought in your head that if it gets too fast you can just carry on alone. Maybe better to do 30mile with a group and finish the rest of your session on your own rather than the entire thing on your own?

• Options
    Riding on your own is no bad thing, 112 miles can be a lonely place for us slowcoaches, best to be ready for it.

But you do seem to go faster in a group. Just don't get used to drafting coz that will give you an artificial sense of security, you won't be able to do it on the day.
  • Options

Thanks all for the boost.  I guess I'm just feeling that I should be out with the crowd and pushing my boundary even though my training is currently to plan. 

I am trying to be patient, but still wonder about my ability (or lack of it) not only to cycle 112 miles, but run 26.2 miles off it (I never even mentioned the swim FFS). 

I still hold the experienced ones amongst you in total awe and that has just deepened since I started training for Outlaw. 

Seren nos mentioned yesterday, just in passing, '50 miles run'.  Just as a matter of fact!  How anyone sets about running 50 miles is beyond me.  I can run a marathon, but past that is stuff of fiction as far as my brain cell computes.  IM also fits neatly into the, 'There's no fecking way I'll be doing that' category, but here I am working towards one and feeling stronger than I have done in many years.

I don't post my inner fears too often for fear of letting loose a weakness or exposing a negaitivity.  But on the odd occasion that I do ask advice I always get the right answers.  Thank you.