IM 16 - 17 hours club

Comments

• VT, I'm in the same boat as you! I know I can do the swim (I've done the distance before). I know I can do the marathon on not a lot of training (also done before) but 112 miles? Furthest I've ever cycled was 52 last year at the Vitruvian. So that's why I put myself down for LEJOG. I am crap at 'training' so intend to grin and bear the near 1000 miles in 10 days and hope I get through it. If I do, I'll be set up for the Outlaw. Only, I'll have to then put all three together! <gulp>
  • Siggy, that little flashing red thing on your avatar, bet your arse stings like that after your mammoth ride. Enjoy...

• image @DB.

I wish you the very best for that PS, it will be an adventure that will be hard to top.

Laughs again @ DB.

• VT'd.......i did my first IM in 2009 in Zurich......I had done 2 marathons in the previous 3 years .both slower than 4:30 ....after zurich I went back to running and started doing ultras and had a whole year off triathlon.......the training for the Ironman gave me a strong base to train for ultras........i have done a few since....and I am still slow.....

I am now in the same position as you but the next step.......i'm doing a double and seriously doubting whether I can do the 230 miles needed on the bike......
    its all relative and its a build up for me over a couple of years,,,,,

dig deep and you will get there
  • Thanks seren, I have to believe I'm capable of a finish, but I'm not belittling or doubting the effort that it will involve on the day.   I'll have to see myself at a point I have never been previously, and that is both frightening and fascinating.
  • VT'd wrote (see)
    I'll have to see myself at a point I have never been previously, and that is both frightening and fascinating.

I like that image - very profound and true!

I ride with some girls from my tri club but we don't go with the main group as they are too fast for us at 16mph image

I beat myself up as we are doing the same distances but they are training for half IM "only" but at the same time I know "slowly slowly catchee monkee" and neither my head nor my body can take more than I have programmed.............

• VT'd wrote (see)

MT your confidence and fears are the opposite to mine.  I am eagerly lining up one HM after the other, some of them hilly and off road, but the jump up from my longest 55 mile bike ride to beyond is concerning me.

I don't feel particularly spent after 55 miles (done it twice now), but I know that I'll soon be looking to get my distance/speed/confidence up and that may need a few group rides. 

Our local cycle clubs are touring every Sunday, but they are on facebook commenting on their 20+ mph averages over 70 mile runs.  I cannot committ to that sort of pace as both my long rides have been 15.5 and 16 mph respectively.  Even their B group is setting over 18 mph averages.

Currently I think I'm doomed to ride on my own, searching out my own routes and entering sportives as an individual until I get through Outlaw.  Then perhaps I'll have the confidence and strength to hook onto the back of a slower group.

Good luck with Liverpool.  My daughter is running it, she tells me for my Birthday (how does that work?)

I didnt mean to sound overly positive and confident,  because I am not. I have more neagtive moments than positive ones. I need to hang onto the positive ones and Sunday did that for me.

VT'd, how does the distance and step change comapre to your first marathon. What I mean is, what distance had you trained to and how did you find that first leap into the unknown of a full marathon?

Good luck to your daughter, will she follow you into the world of IM and pirates?

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    The marathon feels a lot different to a stand alone too. It helps not to think of it as a marathon as such. IE when I get off the bike I'm just going to go for a run... Psychologically so much easy than 'when I get off the bike I have to run a marathon'.

Also, if you are slower (very much like me) it helps to break it down to a run walk. I find 4:1 works really well but def each to his own on that one.

The atmosphere will help tremendously and laps will become your new best friend to help break it down to smaller chunks.

Apologies if this has all been said before, I've not read back.
  • Morning clubbers. The bad news is it looks like I'm out. image Fell off my bike on Sunday and messed my hand and wrist up quite badly so no cycling or swimming for at least a week. I've already missed about 3 weeks in training with all the work stress and crap thats been going on. I was going to do a bit of a Siggy (sniggers at DB's comments) and do a whole lot of intensive biking while I'm still off work but thats now scuppered. 

But in truth I'm actually looking forward to spending more time in the garden this summer, and some social no pressure rides, and get my running back up a bit. In fact I'm wondering if I even want to do IM any more when I've got other hobbies such as painting that have gone out of the window this last year. Why am I doing this??

New focus now is to do the swim on the Saturday day before Outlaw, help at the feed station to yell at everyone and keep as much training up as I can to storm the Vit in September. I can fit a varied social life round Vit training too. That will do me fine this year then I'll take another view in the autum about Outlaw next year when my head is in a better place. image

I'll still pop in here if I may though and see how you are getting on.

• muffin top wrote (see)

I didnt mean to sound overly positive and confident,  because I am not. I have more neagtive moments than positive ones. I need to hang onto the positive ones and Sunday did that for me.

VT'd, how does the distance and step change comapre to your first marathon. What I mean is, what distance had you trained to and how did you find that first leap into the unknown of a full marathon?

Good luck to your daughter, will she follow you into the world of IM and pirates?

MT, I hope I didn't imply you as overly confident, just confident, which is brilliant.  I'm also confident that I'll get there, I just don't know how.

I have no great advice as far as running goes as I've only previously done 2 marathons.  My first marathon, in 2005 was a joke, literally.  I was in the gym one day doing my usual daily 30 minutes on the treadmill when a mate suggested running further. 

It had developed into doing London by the time we left the gym, he dropped out after one training run and I was bull headed enough to carry on.  I entered through a charity and set about training.  Every day I ran as far as I could and as fast as I could.  My weekend run went from about 10 miles to 18 miles in about 3 weeks.  That was me ready.

I set off in London, running as fast as I could until I blew a gasket at 17 odd miles.  Walked for a couple of miles and jogged the remainder. 

Stopped running for a few years and started again March last year.  Joined a club, structured my training and now love it.  I trained for Dublin stepping up a couple of miles per week for my LR, but only running 3 times per week (speed/hill session, tempo session and LSR).  In my build up I included 4 longest runs peaking at about 20 miles, on my own and very slow.

I then turned up at Dublin not knowing what would happen beyond 20.  Would I explode into a burst of feathers?  Would I hit a wall?

Nothing happened.  I just ran through 20 and thought, 'only another 10k and I'm home'.  I felt better at 23 than I did at 17, with the end in sight and the crowds cheering 'me' on.  I'm not a fast runner (Marathon 9-9:30 MM), nor do I make it look effortless.  As HC mentions, the atmosphere and breaking the distance down helps to keep me moving along.

I run countless shorter races and a few HMs last year and continued running between 13-16 miles every Sunday morning.  I'll shove the marathon part of Outlaw to the back of my mind, just do the training and take what it gives me on the day.  I don't want to walk, but if I have to I will.  I can't do that on the bike so I need to get that part right.

I'll pass your good luck to my girl.  She is ballsy as she does very little training, just turns up and runs in random events.  Perhaps there's a pirate in there somewhere.

Good luck in your training MT, I have no doubt that everyone who does the training, barring factors outside their control, will get a finish and we'll all be partying well into Monday.

Edited to say sorry to read what byou've just cross posted SD. 

• Soup Dragon, sorry to hear about your series of mis-fortune. It sounds like you have come to a difficult decision and the very best of luck.
  • Hugs for Soupy. At least the journey has told you what is most important for you at the moment and you will enjoy the Vit that much more, and probably win your age group again!

I hope you will still make our rides, it wouldn't be the same without you, even if the pictures of you falling off are getting a bit thin these days.

Bit of a drastic move just to get away from me yakkin' all the way round though...
  • TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    Soupie sorry to hear about your fall.

Heal strong and keep the faith!
  • Dusty, no pictures of my comedy turn on Sunday either I'm afraid. Bike club rides are nowhere near as much fun as a Pirate ride either.  And the club coach kept going on about triathletes not having good bike skills cos they never climb hills or go round tight corners! I had a bit of an argument with him - then promptly fell off an hour later on a stupid clipless incident. image

• Well, he's right about the hills and tight corners, not that I know anyone who has ever fallen off on a hill and/or a tight corner. LOL.

And it has to be said that often, our pace is so leisurely because we can't pedal coz we can't stop laughing at something or another.
  • SD - sorry to hear your news. Hope the wrist and hand heal well. Hope to meet you on one of the pirate rides if I can get along for one.

I've got similar thoughts/worries that others have been posting - how exactly will I be able to do the entire thing. All I just keep reminding myself is I had exactly the same thoughts when training for a marathon for the first time - 'I'm dead after 8 miles, how can I possibly do 26.2?'

I guess I/we just need to have belief in the training plan, remember it's still only March, and just take each day as it comes.
  • I've given up worrying about it, if it happens so be it, if not, so be it. Just keep going till you finish, they pull you off the course or you break. Expect things to hurt a bit.

Personally, I find "the dark place" difficult and would welcome any sage experienced counsel on dealing with it.
  • muffin top wrote (see)

80 miles on the bike yesterday has definitely given me more self belief. This was a big jump up in distance and climbing. I was worried that I may have to bail and cut down to 60 miles. I can recommend a sportive as it was much easier with people to chat to and a well signed and interesting route. 

I was really surprised that the extra distance was okay and no major discomfort.

Completely agree.

I also completed Jodrell Bank on Sunday and it is definetly a boost to get 80 miles under the belt.

Didn't manage to speak anyone on Sunday due to being a bit slow and shit but hope to next time.

• I've got my first 80 miler of the year coming up on Sunday so fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!
  • SD - sorry to hear about your fall, take it easy and recover fully.
  • MT - you were riding really strongly on Sunday, you'll have no problems if you carry that forward to Nottingham. Good luck at the Liverpool half.
  • Oh dear Soupy......

Looks like Team Peas Podds Soup is now down to one lonesome member image

When I started reading your post I was going to say not to worry about missing training now..........after all I didn't run for the whole 6 weeks prior to Antwerp (and only sporadically in the 3 or 4 weeks prior to that) and still managed to get round.........although it wasn't pretty....

However on reading it in full it is clear that neither your head nor your heart is in it and thus it's a brave (and difficult) decision to make to quit

Life is too short - was brought home to me last Saturday when out on the bike with some tri club girls and one of them had a stroke - she's only a few years older than me image Luckily we were at a junction at the time (it could have been so much worse) but she is now in hozzie and currently can't walk due to the effects of the position of the clot as her balance is shot to pieces...............she was about to start training for IW Wales........

• Soupy, really sorry to see / read this. I hope you get better soon and can come out on the Surrey rides again! You'll have to keep up the swimming now though!

• Hi Soupy,

Sad though I was to hear this, it's your decision, and therefore the right decision!

Good luck with the Vit!

• Soup Dragon, just to say, you've made a brave decision and clearly one that is absolutely the right one for you. Utmost respect image

• Just popped in to have a nose at this thread ...

.. and my initial thoughts are that you lot are a long way ahead of me ... all this talk of 80miler bikes - I am yet to get out on mine this year image

• WW.you have a good strong base to go from........you will be fine....
    and cycling is one thing you can build up quite quickly..........from not cycling for a year you can go out and cycle 60 miles no problem.......not like running