Options

IM 16 - 17 hours club

Comments

• Options

Yeah, the Adamo is the 2 pronged looking saddle. 

It's a million times better than the saddle that came with my bike, and the cut out bit at the front has solved the "problem" I was having, but I still get a numb bum on longer rides image

• Options

My LBS has some Adamo's avaliable for trial. Cat, it is Eureka near Chester if you are ever passing or maybe somewhere near you would let you borrow one for a spin.  

I am worried that if I try I will end up buying and my new bike already went over budget.image

• Options
    TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

where has everyone gone?

have you all trained so hard you are now in with proper ironmen (and women) or have we all just got injured, fed up, wibbled too much .....

anyway training has been a bit sporadic due to work and family stuff, definately still chasing cut offs and struggling a bit on the swim side.

weather has been pretty rubbish for training so most of the bike is still on the turbo, but have a great test next week with my first ever 100mile ride planned - The Castle 100 around kent - i guess after that I will truly know whether I am going to make the Outlaw startline.

Good luck everyone and keep well.

• Options
    HeyTJ, thanks for posting ! Thought this thread had

disappeared! Training is ok, but not going quite to plan. Swimming is improving slowly, but I'm still worried about the cut, I haven't run for two weeks cos I twisted my ankle. The swellings nearly gone, so I may risk a short run this week, I'm doing the DIY HIM that Silent Assasin has organised next weekend, so hopefully I can start running again soon.

I have a different wibble everyday!!! Today's is the bike. I did a 37 mile local sportive today. Admittedly it was very

hilly, but flipping heck I was tired out after just 37 miles!!!!!

Good luck with your 100 miler, I've booked a day off work in about 2 weeks time, I'm planning to do a 100 miles that day, argghhhh !!!
  • Options

Hi TJ and BB.

I'm still here! Like you 2 I'm having constant wibbles. Last 2 weeks have been a bit disruptive in the old training stakes due to work/life and illness (just a cold that I couldn't shake).

Still - got tomorrow off for the long ride I missed yesterday.

Swimming feels like its gone backwards since OW swimming started. Considering treating myself to a new, better quality wetsuit to see how much difference it would make. Also need to buy some trainers this month to break in in time for the marathon - my current ones are probably going to be a bit too close to dying for me to risk it.

BB - see you this weekend image

• Options

People are swimming OW? Blooming heck that's dedicated.

• Options
    I haven't gone out in OW yet, maybe later this week.....
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Glad to see most people still wibbling. Steady Steve doing the bike leg is planning on doing the Wiggle Ups and Downs at the weekend and that is definitely hillier than the Outlaw course.

I have now resorted to doing training long runs as run 4 mins, walk 1 min. Suprisingly comfortable but slow. I run at 12 min mile normally so it seems really snail  pace but at least the body is holding up.

I will be OW swimming on the 27th for certain and hopefully a couple of times before that just to get used to numb feet and hands.

• Options

1. I suspect my first OW foray this year will be Outlaw. LOL.

2. Must dig out tribars to look cool. Don't work with new saddle though. Dilemmas! (Sigh)

3. Ceramic wheel bearings are the absolute feckin' dogs! Lord H has already signed up for my spare rear set.

• Options

DB how comes you are not doing Thorpe then.  Thought you liked a bit of OW.  First one for me tomorrow....maybe at the local lake as only 10mins away and free.  Had a bit of a poorly self so only just getting back to it.  Must try and sort out getting to Thorpe though as my local lake is rather small in comparison.image  Tri bars are going on on Monday....having to have the set up changed on the bike so a bit of a pain.  First 100miler on Saturday and didn't want to chance being in agony for that one.

• Options

I reallly like a bit of OW, at 17 degrees or above. 22-24 is better.

They've got a sodding changing bus at Thorpe as well as at Mytchett now. What is it with buses and OW? They are shit to get changed in. And how on earthe do they get a clapped out old bus there anyway? Poor lass on her first OW don't want me ogling her beard cos there is nowhere to change either.

I may not bother with the bars at Outlaw, saddle not conducive to them at all. Dunno, might try them Saturday. 

• Options
    You could try tipping the nose of the saddle down a bit so when you are on the bars it don't crush us grapesimage
  • Options

Hmm, I'll have a go at that DK. Cheers.

• Options

2.8k OW Swim in 11 degrees last eve ... although should really declare it as a 2k and a 800m as stopped for a cup of tea and thawing of extremities after 2k.  Holborough lake fast becoming the iron distance training venue of choice it seems with 6 of the 10 people swimming there last night in for outlaw, wales or henley . The others were just training for the channel ... gulp... in swim costumes. Talk about take the wind out of your sails eh.

Cycling going ok ish.. lots of short rides , fair amount of turbo , not very many longe rides at all. 

Running still an absolute shocker for me .. knees just dont like it one little bit so its sloooow going all the way. SA's Half IM this weekend will i fear be a measure of just how far off the mark my training is.

• Options

image Slag you will be surpriced and the whole point of the weekend is to get you used to doing that sort of thing. remember SA's will be hillier than your IM race and your still going to kick bottom. Any problems just look behild you at me red faced, knackered and skipping. image

• Options

I'll cheer you on Slag and I'll look forward to seeing you skipping Cake..image

• Options

I'm sure you'll be fine Slagiatt, feel free to "admire" image my little old lady style breaststroke in the pool, image.

Cake wrote (see)

Any problems just look behild you at me red faced, knackered and skipping. image

Surely skipping is harding than runningimage, you'll be juggling your way round next imageimage

• Options

He can proberbly do that as well....image

• Options

lol.. thanks all .. yes should be an amusing weekend i think.

• Options

I hve just looked at last years Outlaw results (yes,work is boring). Very surprised to see only 4 people finished last year between 16 and 17 hours.

Me thinks it may be busier at the end this yearimage Plenty of skipping, juggling and crawling to keep me entertained

• Options
    muffin top wrote (see)

I hve just looked at last years Outlaw results (yes,work is boring). Very surprised to see only 4 people finished last year between 16 and 17 hours.

Where is TimmyG when you need him? The king of the 16-17 hour Outlaw!

http://sub17.net/?page_id=26#

• Options

image Timmy is class and a top bloke. Worth finding out who he is if you don't know for this year.

Bburn I can't juggle, wish I could because of what I do when not playing at races. image Tom however image

If your feeling the pain a little skip. It's unpossible not be become happy doing it, try it? It's also very useful on a big hill because you use less energy and stuff. You just have to watch your footing.

• Options

Got the tent out last night. We worked out that it'd been 3 years since we last used it, so I was rather pleasantly surprised to find it hadn't been eaten by mice or gone mouldy. Practised putting it up in the garden. Made me feel quite excited about Outlaw

• Options

I popped up to Nottingham last week to have a crafty shuftie at the course!  I got lost!! Several roads the Garmin was trying to send me down were closed and 'Access only'.  I managed to get out to Oxton though.  Pleasantly surprised that the upflat wasn't as steep as I thought it was!

Dusty, I have my aero bars fitted to the bike and had to adjust my saddle downwards to account for the plums!  However, I wasn't convinced that the Aero bars would be fantastically useful as the roads didn't really lend themselve to getting aero, in my opinion!  Some were quite busy and others were a bit twisty of uneven!

I may well go back again in the next couple of weeks for another look!

• Options

Aero takes some getting used to. I can't hold it for long but it is a welcome relief on the back sometimes for short periods. Roughly, I found you could turn one gear higher when aero. Hoever, the bars are half a kilo I think, so if a plodder like me over distance, my gut is to go for lighter weight or less rolling resistance. But I am no expert. And my gut is not a light weight...

Is this THE upflat that a lot of folks are wibbling about? Is it really anything to worry about? Knowing your love of my flat ridesimage

• Options

Can you remember the last ride we went on where Madge did the first bit and you later came alongside me lulling me into a false sense of security about there being no hills?  Then we turned the corner and there was one?  It's not as steep as that, but just a tad longer!  There is another that is just a grind to get up.  Otherwise, it's just mildly undulating!  The dual carriageway out and back would suit aero though!

I thought quite a bit of the smaller loop, which we go around twice at the Outlaw was a bit exposed.  So if it's a bit blowy aero might be the way to go all the same!

And, for what it's worth, I hardly think you count in the 'slouch' states!!

• Options

Am struggling with bike at the moment. Much of it down to time. 

Anyhow, debating taking Tuesday afternoon off. Forecast is 22 degrees. Need to get a long one in (not been well last day or so). Planning to do Richmond Park for the arvo and early eve) Try and get 5 or six hours in or until legs fall off. Half hour a lap. Fancy it? (or some of it). As you are retired! Anyone else of course welcome but I will be proper training ride primarily, not a social one (I might shut up for ten minutes)

I want to be able to concentrate on the ride and not so much the traffic & RP is pretty good for that usually.

• Options

PS, I had hoped that lump on the Crease was about right for Outlaw. Well recced. Gets the heart rate up but nothing serious

• Options

That's it exactly!  There certainly wasn't anything I was particularly concerned about and you *know* how good (bad) I am and how I like (dislike) hills!!  ;~))

Tuesday sounds good!  I'm in Devon at the mo, but may well pop back Monday afternoon, in preparation, if that's the case!!

On reflection, I think the one hill going clockwise in RP may be similar to the one at Outlaw!  So a couple anti clockwise laps followed by a couple clockwise would be good!

• Options

Hokay, just need to clear it at work then. I can txt you if it all checks out. Will start ride around 1.30 to 2pm. Will park at BOTTOM car park by cafe as the khazi at the one at the top is out of order. 

BTW, we are NOT supposed to stop for cake on every lap;O)

Will stick an extra couple of litres water in the boot for refills etc. Might be deliciously warm!

Run lap after unlikely but might stick shoes in just in case.