IM 16 - 17 hours club

Comments

• Well, how's everyone going?

My preparation so far :-  LEJOG nearly completed.  Running umm ... does a lap of my local park count (about 5 miles) can't do much more as knees are fecked!  Swimming one open water swim completed (slow and achey afterwards)  Life just seems to have got in the way of training!  But, remember, training's cheating!!  image  

How's everyone's cheating been going!

My laps with Dusty turned into a saga!  I think it was the third or forth lap when Dusty was complaining about the ceramic bearings on his bike breaking up (I told him he should think about shedding a few pounds and giving the bike a chance!!) that I noticed my car key had fallen from the seat pannier!!  Quickish search and then blatting back to the car park to find the car still there, but open!  WTF?  Towed by my mate and new key ordered (£250)  Ouch! as it was the only key I had!  

So, 16-17 hours looks pretty safe to me!  image

• Prince Siegfried - If you have nearly completed LEJOG, I'm sure Outlaw will be a piece of cake image.

I have a real fear of loosing my car key running or biking, I am always obsessively checking my pocket - you have not re-assured me!!! Sounds like an expensive training session, but at least you didn't get your car nicked!

Training has been OK - steady but I fear not enough biking (that's this week's wibble), but I've just had a rubbish training weekend, one hour bike ride. That's it!!! Life and beer conspired against me image.

Big week planned this week though,no excuses, something everyday this week, including..... I've booked Thursday off work to do a 100 miler followed by a long OW swim image. Should be a good test, even though I'm doing them in the wrong order!!

• PS - Ouch on the key front!

BB - Hope Thursday goes well.

I managed a 100 miles yesterday. Suffered neck pain again though which doesn't bode well. Trying (yet) another solution tonight hopefully!

Think that'll be my longest ride now. Going to try and rest up my back and neck as much as possible between now and Outlaw, so will just do one more big ride (75-80 miler (see the Outlaw recce thread)). Other than that, think I'll stick with 2.5-3 hour rides as the maximum until Outlaw.

• Well done on the 100 miler MA ! Bet it's a good feeling to get that under your belt. I was hoping to have a recce to the Outlaw course, but I've got something on every weekend between now and then, so it's just not gonna happen!

I'm hoping, if I get through Thursday, to maybe do one more long ride in a bout two weeks time (I can see another day off work being required), and then start to scale them back a bit.

Next weekend we are off to Spain on holiday for a week, so I am planning to cycle and swim everyday, which should be good training. I suspect because the family will actually want me to spend some of our holiday with them, I will be restricted to about 2 hours early morning biking, with maybe an hour's swim in the evenings, but I reckon doing that everyday for a week should have some training benefits . I may have to skip running, otherwise the kids/OH may mutiny image, pirate style image

• Siggy called ME fat! LOL.

It was the steel bearings. Ceramics were fine, got them on the front now too. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee. Added a couple mph to my speed.

• Great bike MA.

BB, holiday plans sound good and hoepfully a fine blend of training and family time. Not to mention enough calories burnt to swig sangria in the sunimage Good luck on Thursday.

I havd a cunnuing plan to recce the course on my way down south last week. Work got in the way and I was left with only an hour ,which was really annoying. Anyway, decided to do part of loop 1, including the Oxton bank. It proved to be a real confidence boost as the hill felt okay and I wont be walking it on race day image

• Thanks Muffin Top!!! Sounds like having a recce of the hill was a good plan, like you say a real confidence builder now you know that it's nothing to be scared off!
  • BBburn plodder. It wont even seem like a hill to youimage

• Dusty, if the cap fits mate!!  ;~)  Only kidding!  

Nice swim at Shepperton today.  The water was lovely, almost like a cool swimming pool!  Dusty, you'd love it!  The grass was relatively goose poo free, sand going down into the water and a new wooden plinth and gazebo for the check in area!

Relatively clear 3/4 of the way round just a bit of floating debris on the back stretch.  It's becomming very popular.  60 + cars there when I left at 7.15 and some had left before then! 

• 60 cars!!! Feck. That weed at 3/4 is the one that chases me round squealing like a girl. Might try and make next week. Suppose I ought to get some OW in. Might try and get Lord H down for his first OW. He can swim 2 lengths of a 25M pool now and only stop once in the middle. That's close enough innit?

• He can negotiate the 400m loop!

There wasn't any weed, it was bits floating on the surface.  Twigs, leaves flotsam and jetsom stuff!  Nothing to get worried about.  It's open Monday evenings as well as both mornings on the weekend, although saying that with it being bank holiday I'm not sure whether it'll be open this Monday.  I'll check it out!  

• Can't make Monday, away on a religious contemplation retreat, Weds MAY be a goer but may be a 4-5 hour longish bike 14.00 onwards, wanna come?. Weds 13th, lets make it a date dear? Can you "encourage me" around 4 X 750 laps?

• I've got 'visitors' up from the south west!  They can watch / take part in a swim, but I think it would be a bit rude to disappear for 4 to 5 hours I'm afraid!  

Shepperton is open Wednesday morning from 6.30 too.  You could do the swim before a bike ride and then make it more realistic!!  imageimage

• Got a back scan at half twelve but work in the morning. Might have to do one of these early morning swims though...suppose had better get used to it. 

• Not long now! I'm almost ready to start bouncing with excitment at supporting you lot at the feed station.  Great to read about your training. I'll be gutted at the start and finish that I'm not there with you, but I might be laughing to myself at the bits in between. image 

Dusty - get up and swim.  I'm keen for a paddle in ow now the temps are getting warmer. Are you Southern lot doing Shepperton instead of Thorpe then?

• Shepperton is my preferred lake Soupy.  It's friendly, clean and just for swimmers, so no diesel / aviation fuel taste in the water!! There's a bar upstairs at the sailing club and warm showers and changing rooms below there too!  I'm going there early tomorrow (Sunday), it's open from 7am to 11 on weekends and evenings on Monday and Wednesday as well as from 6-9am on Wednesday.  15.5 degrees today, apparently.  You can feel the cooler water on your fingertips as you swim!

• Siggy - is it open over the bank holidays?

• Open this morning until 11am and tomorrow from 5.30 to 8.30pm as usual Cat.  

• Popping in to do cartwheels and blow the trumpet for all clubbers this weekend. I can't wait to support you on the bike leg so if you are a club member I haven't met give me a yell (oh, you don't know who I am either do you so you can't!). 

imageimageimageimage

I hope you are not all fretting too much right now.......you can do this. 

• Its a good omen. The cut n paste function just worked without rubbish to edit out. 

• Can we re-activate this IM 16-17 club as I think I'm a prime candidate for ironmanUK next year image

• Red i don't think it's ended just everyone has done there races for this year so thrying not to think about it for a few months. Have you desided which one you want to do? image

• Red - I'll be near the back end for IMUK next year (target is sub-15, but will be happy with a finish).

I've also had a couple of "witching hour" finishes at the Outlaw in the past, so I know what it takes to get the best value for money in an Ironman image

• i think the pictures look better when you finish in the dark anyway image

• Count me back in - unfinished business with Outlaw, so it's back again for next year for a finish this time.

• Hiya everyone. I guess it must that time of year again when we consider IM ambitions and for me its about getting to start line which I haven't even made yet. image

So - I'm writing down all the reasons why my training and courage went to pot last year (and the year before, oh dear) to avoid the same things again. Some reasons were unavoidable but the lazy ones like not getting out of bed just need another alarm clock and some tough love. If I fail this time round then I obviously don't want it hard enough. 

Also considering the earlier advice of not training to the cut-offs but its hard when naturally slow. We can do this though.  Am I scared of the witching hour? - ermmmmm No. image  Do I want to get the start line this year? Yes!  Bring on Enduroman. image  

• Hi Soupy,

I recently read this thread from the beginning, mostly because it has loads of what I think of as a 'Piratey' attitude.  I was sorry to come to the bit where you needed to follow a different path this time around, but have my fingers crossed for you next year.

• Hey Soupy!  I was just wondering the other day if you were still planning to do Enduroman next year!!! I'm just not sure what to do about the half, but I shall decide soon image

• I'm in ironmanUk the Big one in Bolton - my first full distance.

will be looking to complete before cut off.

Loved Henley Half at the weekend, my first half dist.

resting up until October, no chance of overtraining from this hippo.

• Red Stripe wrote (see)

I'm in ironmanUk the Big one in Bolton - my first full distance.

will be looking to complete before cut off.

Loved Henley Half at the weekend, my first half dist.

resting up until October, no chance of overtraining from this hippo.

Lol at the hippo comment I've eaten sandwiches bigger than you!