Options

IM 16 - 17 hours club

Comments

• Options
    Darkness wrote (see)
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
    Does he explain why the need to do something more means going longer rather than going faster?
    I think because speed can require natural (genetic) ability but toughing it out for longer is available to us all if we are prepared to suffer for it.
    I didn't mean faster as in matching the pros, but as in quicker than you did previously.  Why do many doing an Olympic tri or a marathon see longer stuff as the next challenge rather than improving on their previous time, whatever it may be?  Is it a case of 'been there, done that, got the tshirt'?
  • Options

I'm not built for speed. Going longer at a slow but steady pace was definitely easier up especially on the bike.

Completely agree with Min. Why do something to feel better than a 'neighbour?  There used to be some triathletes that ponced around my pool and they wanted the world to know though they'd done IMs. One of the guys at my bike club told that joke before about not having to guess if someone is a triathlete because they'll tell you. Comments like being better than your neighbour remind me of that. That's not to say other sports don't have ponces though image  

Btw to whoever was coming back from being sick, make sure you are better first. When I had a week off earlier in the year last year,  I went straight back into the normal training plan as the volume was similar to what I'd been doing before the plan started. Later in the year when I had another week off, my plan was phased back up .

• Options
    Darkness wrote (see)
    Does he explain why the need to do something more means going longer rather than going faster?
    I think because speed can require natural (genetic) ability but toughing it out for longer is available to us all if we are prepared to suffer for it.
    I didn't mean faster as in matching the pros, but as in quicker than you did previously.  Why do many doing an Olympic tri or a marathon see longer stuff as the next challenge rather than improving on their previous time, whatever it may be?  Is it a case of 'been there, done that, got the tshirt'?
    If you agree with him its for bragging rights.  Going sub 2hrs 10mins at a Oly for example may impress those in the know but won't impress as many work colleagues as finishing an Ironman, even if that is done in 16.59.59.  All depends if you agree with his hypothesis that we only do it to feel superior (he contends that if we didn't we would not compete but would do the distance oursleves in training and not tell anyone about it).  
  • Options

The number of IM tattoos does lend weight to his hypothesis! While I don't have a tattoo and won't be getting one I do admit to having an Ironman Wales mug I use at work. image

Where does pride in an achievement end and oneupmanship begin?

Sorry for taking the thread off topic, I will stop now.  No matter your personal reason for doing an Ironman I expect you will find it worth it for that finish line feeling, which will feel rather better than the finish line to a 5k run for example.  

• Options

I cannot say I do anything to feel superior to anybody else... nobody I know could really care that somebody has done a Marathon / IM unless it is something they have seen on the TV..... it is bigger office talk if somebody ran the great north run at the weekend rather than the Marathon des Sables... that's one thing that I like about this sport / endurance sports in general though

But What I was saying is my motivation comes from knowing I did something superiour to myself and was able to better myself in some way or another

• Options

Soup posted this last year

""When you stand on the Start Line, you join the club. When you stand at the Starting Line you earn your membership. Millions dream of being where you are. You are no longer a dreamer. You are a doer. Thousands more started a training programme but never finished. They started with the same enthusiasm (or more than) you. They started with more or less the same physical gifts or disadvantages as you did. They had no more and no less reason to be successful than you. But somewhere along the way, they lost that enthusiasm. Somewhere on the road or on the track or treadmill, they decided that the rewards just weren't worth the effort. They decided that they could live without finding their limits, without challenging their expectations of themselves and without taking a hard look at their image of themselves. You didn't.

If you are standing at the Start Line, you've not only accepted the challenge, but you've also beaten back the demons. You've conquered your imagination and self-imposed limitations. You've gone further, got stronger and become tougher than you ever imagine"

It's a bit cheesey. I never compared myself to anyone else but thought this was a true reminder of what you can do when you put your mind to it and not giving up on things when the going gets tough.

*Says me who didn't get to the start line anyhow because of health issues. image 

• Options
    i feel that this thread is too elitist for me as I finished my last IM race in 17:29.......
  • Options
    Oh yes Seren, you can't come in here, love! image
  • Options
    A what? A training plan?? What's one of them, then?
  • Options

Seren - I think you should be chairman (or woman).  image All we want now is a treasurer. image

Why do I want to do IM?  Thats a good question.  I certainly want some bragging rights but that will wear off very quickly when people get bored of me telling them. I'm doing this for me.  To see how far I can push myself, and whether I have the self discipline to stick to the training and then finish the thing when everything hurts. On the day it will be a battle between my mind and my body. And I want the elation of the finish line.  A marathon finish doesn't have the same buzz any more for sure. 

Oh, and I want to wear pirate kit! image imageimageimageimage  And I want to get drunk on the Monday. image

So, back to training.  If anybody is still up for a bike ride I'm thinking of 3 loops of the Marlow duathlon bike circuit (around 15 miles) on Sunday.  We can do the first lap at a social pace then the next lap (or 2) can be at your own speed then all meet up at the end.  The very last person in can always claim to have done an extra lap.  Dustboy is game I believe. Any other takers?

• Options
    I do one for the buzz.......and to amaze myself that I am capable of doing it......
    I haven't been successful at many things in life......but I am happy that I have achieved some amazing experiences and challenges in the last few years.........

Its like childbirth......the intense pain stops the minute you cross the line.....to replaced by a different pain the next day
  • Options
    I wi
    Soup Dragon wrote (see)

So, back to training.  If anybody is still up for a bike ride I'm thinking of 3 loops of the Marlow duathlon bike circuit (around 15 miles) on Sunday.  We can do the first lap at a social pace then the next lap (or 2) can be at your own speed then all meet up at the end.  The very last person in can always claim to have done an extra lap.  Dustboy is game I believe. Any other takers?

l will take a look at how easy it is to get there on the train (I am thinking / hoping a quick train from Ealing?) and possibly join you image What time were you thinking?
  • Options

Soup - Am tempted but suspect I can't make this weekend. Will let you know if I can nearer the time! Wha time were you thinking of starting?

Nothing exciting to report from here - just plodding away with the training!

• Options
    Golden Boots wrote (see)  

l will take a look at how easy it is to get there on the train (I am thinking / hoping a quick train from Ealing?) and possibly join you image What time were you thinking?

& Moving Along

Starting Mill End Car Park nr Hambledon on Sunday at 10.30.  The nearest station would probably be Henley - going from Paddington.  This is the route: the route but will probably do it in reverse to make all left turnsand missing out the out and back sections will make it about a 15 mile lap. Mister W warns that the road surfaces aren't too good in places.  Can eat after in either Henley or Marlow - plenty of choice.

• Options
    Game? I am game? LOL!
  • Options
    I might actually cycle from Shepherds Bush for this.... it's probably not much longer and gets me an extra few miles in the bag!
  • Options
    I was thinking about working up to doing a cycle there and back  aiming for spring!  But for Sunday I will be using the car.  GB is 'ard indeed. image 
  • Options
    Not that 'ard... I will only cycle one way!
  • Options

All sounds like good stuff in here!

Soupy - I eventually got round to your FB email!

• Options
    Dustboy,

Found a nice new upflat on a sportive (Chiveley) last Sunday, there's a road up from the Thames at Streatley B4009, called Streatley Hill, about 10% for about half a mile I think.

Not around your usual stomping ground but always worth making a note of these nice little nuggets image
  • Options

Min - got it thanks.  I will eventally respond back! image

I ran to work this morning.  That's my 1 hour run done. image

• Options

Evening all. Just reading back after a week of IT headaches.

Back into training this week and thanks for the advice on how to jump back on the wagon. The last few days I have done something every day and just dropped the intensity and distance a tad.

Bike in the morning so will go easy on the beers tonight.image

• Options
    10% for a mile is actually pretty hard I would guess. Bit of the old mental cojones needed?

8 mile run done today, almost dreading Soupys extravaganza tomorrow on the bike, especially as I am sticking to my plan and single speeding it.

And yes, I KNOW my front brake wails like a banshee, and yes I have adjusted it and yes it toes in. It still wails.
  • Options

I've done  a drive round the route and by starting at Hambeldon we miss the main hill coming out of Marlow so its probably the flattest course in the Chilterns. image  It only came out at 13 miles so deffo 3 laps to get in.  There are quite a few pot holes so need to be careful and that includes the main road as well as the minor ones.  There are some good bends and ways to extend it for another time when I've got time to look at the map, possibly could link it to the Henley tri bike route and get some more hills in but it should be good anyway.

• Options

1030 sharp DB. Best you leave at 8am image.

12 mile run today so tomorrow should be light. If we're doing it back to front it should be a bit easier.

• Options
    Think some girls from my bike club are going tomorrow too including the ace pirate cake maker. image