IM 16 - 17 hours club

Comments

• imageimageimage Those cakes were great (hope Mrs Cat5 doesn't see that).

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    Dustboy,

Found a nice new upflat on a sportive (Chiveley) last Sunday, there's a road up from the Thames at Streatley B4009, called Streatley Hill, about 10% for about half a mile I think.

Not around your usual stomping ground but always worth making a note of these nice little nuggets image
    That's more my way (or used to be). I know that road well from driving it...
  • SS Dustboy ready, all 146 tonnes of him. plus the spokey dokeys.

I think the feckin' pedals weigh more than the Cyfac!
  • dusty rub your brake pad with sand paper to maybe stop the wailing - i only really posted to make you hungry though image
  • Cleaning wheel rims with rubbing alcohol (got mine from Maplins) was a revelation for me. Amazing the amount of black oily grim that comes off when you think your rims are already clean. Could help Dusty?
  • Go easy out there this morning folks, tis well foggy !
  • That was a lot of fun. image Especially after the fog cleared.  I think that Fink knows what he's talking about you know, about the slowly turning the polystyrene cup inside out.  I don't feel like I've got any better but today my bike club mate who used to be faster than me couldn't keep up.  I surprisingly had to ease off.  And I kept up with Dustboy on the final mile back the car park (okay he was on a  heavy work horse of a bike but we won't dwell on that) and got up the Marlow hill in my middle ring (rather than the granny ring).  So something is happening.  I AM getting better, slowly slowly almost imperceptibly.  Only did 2 laps so 30 miles but I still feel really fresh.  Will deffo do that route again and add another loop with a hill somewhere. 

Thanks to Dusty and Cat - good time had. image 

• Nice going Soupy and it's great to see improvements when you don't actually think things are happening.  Well done you. imageimage
  • Well, I think that warrants a Soupy special, "How fab were that!"

Excellent inaugural ride lead from Soupy, loos at the start, easy parking and a lovely route, most of which seemed downhill.

Deffo one to do again, and more lappage if warmer (it was only 2 degrees and after 2 laps we were rather chilled).

SS Dustboy was absolutely the choice weapon for the day, very little in the way of hillage apart from the climb out of the Marlow Duathlon transition and the knobblies were superb on the somewhat "rural" surface on some of the course.

Soupy is getting quite the descender and I admit that I was surprised when she was still hanging on after I had pretty much span as fast as I could on the last mile back to the car.

Had a bit of "aero training" fun with Cat5 on the downhills trying to trim that last bit of drag out (I have more drag than he does!)

Top morning out, must get to the burgers next time and maybe a few more of the faithful, though apparently, it's Meldy Country...
  • You say it's 'Bandit' country Dusty? Sounds like a 'Grand day Out' Shame to have missed it!
    When's the next group ride and where?
  • It certainly *is* my manor ....
  • DB challenged me to a single gear for the second lap. Found it easier than I thought. Cracking ride Grommit.

Meldy, can you do anything about the roads in your manor?. Thanks. Oh, and please clear up all the horse cr*p.

• It keeps the peasants out   image
  • Siggy, hoping to ride RP a week next Saturday. 9am start with RP 5K parkrun, then 3-5 laps of RP bike , which is flat BTW, then a lap of the park running.

Laps are 7 miles.

Parkrun ensures 9am start and no faffing.

Apparently Pembroke Lodge does orsum Cookie Brekkie afters. We park at Pembroke Lodge.

Subject to vaguely sensible weather. At a push, we could MTB if shite.

Potential attendees are SS Dustboy (wonders if SS Dustboy can get up the tidgy upflat at RP anticlockwise), Cat5, Golden Boots for calling me chicken for next week when I have had to bale as marshalling/racing XC elsewhere, Soupy the Flying Whippet, Siggy coz he enquired and anyone else.

Lots of options as short loop so jump in/drop out as you wish.

Obviously, we will miss Kanga dreadfully but as the Ozzie bastard is in 30 degrees and Bondai beach and barbietown, I won't feel too bad.

So, who'se in?...
  • Sounds like some good fun going on here! Well done all!

Nothing too exciting from me, just plodding along with the training. Went for a ride with the tri club on Saturday and after being paranoid about being dropped all night, turned out to be a very social paced ride.

Then a long ride with a few hills on the Sunday. Spent most of it chatting to someone in training for IM Lanza.

Looking to start cycle commute again from tomorrow - just in time for the cold snap! Blast.

• IM Wales will be my first and im in the training to finish camp
  • Hi BN - welcome aboard.

Sounds great Soupy - and once more, one for you to cut out and keep so you can look back on it when you are having a wibble!!

• Bobby nobby wrote :
    IM Wales will be my first and im in the training to finish camp

im told gladys is the man to help you there image
  • I should be in Dusty! Especially at that time of day. It's the start of half term, so No. 2 will be staying, but still in bed no doubt, whilst No.1 is on a school field trip! I might give the runs a miss though and do some extra laps!
  • List:
    I'll try to drag Benno along!
    Cat5
    Dustboy
    Golden Boots
    Soupy
    Siggy
  • Nooo - not another list. Let's keep it informal! image
  • I think its just a list for Dusty's RP outing Min - now moved to its own thread. image

I had a great TI session last night.  Very strange to be doing recovery without rotating my shoulder.  It all comes from the elbow.  Lots to practice to get that to feel normal. I'm just about ready now to start introducing more whole stroke swimming which is good.  I have to do 10 mins drills on just one focal point then 4 mins full stroke swimming incorporating that focal point in my stroke.  Then 10 mins drills and repeat etc.........

• And talking about repeat etc........

Happy Groundhog Day! image

• Soupy!

Can't believe I didn't know about this thread.........

You know I'll be bringing up the rear with you - now will have to spend the evening reading through the thread to catch up (yes I know - sad..... but I'm a bit anal that way image)

Shall add it to my bookmarks immediately image

• Your time would be better spent doing it rather than reading about it Podds    image
  • I love the Meldy/Podds double act! image

<passes Podds a cup of tea and a biscuit>image

• image Bleedin' Nora Meldy - is there nowhere in this world I can get some peace and quiet? image image

Thanks Soupy - you can see I need it - if nowt else I'll get fit evading the Meldmeister !!!

Haven't managed to read back this evening so I'll do a page at a go from work tomorrow in odd moments image to see what the craic is image

And just to keep you happy Melds I am booked into spin tomorrow before work - seemed sensible given the conditions outside and certainly the wind is way too strong to be out on a bike round here let alone the ice risk........

<shuffles off looking for some sort of Meldy detection device bit like one that warns you about speed cameras>

• I can give you a thread summary Podds - stop  wibbling and get on with it cos we can all do it but it ain't easy which makes the finish line sweeter.

Did I miss anything?  .....oh yes, keep it positive. image