IM 16 - 17 hours club

Comments

• You'll thank me in July Podds   image
  • Can't imagine doing recovery without rotating the shoulder...? But it's great that you are seeing progess, Soupy!

Podds - don't read back. Whatever you do, don't get caught up in what everyone else is doing - it can be so dermoralising.

But yup - the only way to do it is to do it..... image

• Right

Admirable summary Soupy image

Did read back (sorry Min because yes I did find it a bit demoralising image) and some interesting points not least the "what are you aiming for" theme? I don''t want to say I'm aiming for 16 - 17 hours but although this is my first ironman I know my max sustainable speeds to a "t" in all  3 disciplines and I know that this is a likely finishing time bracket image

Also know what whatever training I do I won't get any faster - 25 years of running has taught me that despite the best efforts of many coaches (and sticking to proper training) - but I do know that I am like the tortoise in the tortoise and the hare and can keep on plugging along so long as they don't pull the plug on me!

How did you sort your heart rate zones though Soupy?

It's years since I've trained to HR and did to a max HR test using a hill but that was a while ago..........but it seems that everyone here is into HR training especially on the bike

• Podds - I did a max test sort of by accident when I first started running.  Kept on going on the treadmill for 10 minutes cos just determined to do it and felt sick and crap.  then checked my HR on the hand grip things and it was 181.  so I knew my max was at least that.  Then on an interval session last year I had the same feeling and shot up to 187.  My max on a 5k or 10k run and the hill test is about 179 so I'm probably not pushing hard enough normally.  My bike HR up Coombe hill earlier this year maxed on 181 with that sick feeling so I'm counting that as my bike max and 187 as my run max.  Then I subtract my resting heart rate, do the percentage then add my resting rate back on for the final number.  Seems to work. 

Interesting about being demoralised reading back.  I started this so us slower people didn't feel demoralised but I suppose it shows that we all have different interpretationsand perceptions of where we think we are at and how others view where we are at.  I see Podds as being way ahead of me, faster on the bike and a better swimmer.  But i suppose I've managed to get in more consistent sessions since working part time so my lesson learned for  today is that comparisons are a waste of time, too many variables. image

• 1. I nearly blew Soupy up on Combe then. Oops, sorry.image

2. Soupy is now getting dangerously handy on the velocipede. I was nailing the SS Dustboy last week pretty much as hard as I could and couldn't pull away from Soupy.

3. Must get a working HRM again.

• Soupy, I love it..... you (and the thread) are really helping.

The motiavation levels are up and down for me. High this week after a good consistent week. Low earlier in Jan when I had flu, holiday and normal life stuff just got in the way.

I guess I am a little worried that my run is still slow and a struggle to keep HR down.  The  main good thing is just how much I am enjoying the training. I did a 45 minute lunchtime run earlier this week and just didnt want to stop.

Have a good weekend all image 

• Thanks Soupy image

Guess I need to do a couple of max HR tests - should have taken it at the top of that hill the other Sunday - probably would have been pretty high!

And the thread isn't demoralising at all Soupy - it was a fantastic idea - I guess I've just spent so many years being the slowest in whatever club I was in / race I was doing / training session that I automatically make comparisons becuase they're hard to avoid image

However there are many sage words on here which I shall be taking note of with regard to this image

FWIW I'm reasonably happy with my swim, worried about the bike - not so much the distance but the av speed required to make the likely cut off and mechanicals and absolutely dreading the run as I hate, loathe and detest running!!!!

From what I saw the other day and the training you're putting in and what Dustboy says I really don't think I'm a better cyclist than you at all - we seemed pretty even in Surrey image

I guess my final worry is fitting the training in - but I know that as the days get longer this will be less of an issue, but currently I'm concerned re the long bike as that has to be done at the weekends and last weekend was weathered off and this weekend looks similar.... image

• Is the weather that bad darn sarf Podds? Last weekend was chilly, but manageable.
  • We were going to cycle over to Canterbury last Sunday for the start of the Canterbury 10 and then back via a slightly roundabout route but woke up to quite heavy rain showers with a temperature on the coast of about 2C so knowing it would be colder and therefore potentially icy inland we aborted

Tonight we've had a little snow on Plannit Ffannit and it's due to go below freezing again overnight (having been warmer during the day) so I'm guessing the roads won't be great tomorrow either image

Plan therefore is a double run weekend with a coached swim Sat afternoon as usual image

I guess I'm influenced by my friend who came off her bike last year and sustained a fracture disclocation of the shoulder and still can't swim as a result due to nerve damage and loss of mobility in the joint......... I'm not generally a wimp but I've become more cautious since C hurt herself image

• Sounds like a good decision then! It was -4C  when I got home from my swim tonight, though a tad warmer in Reading. I'm a tad worried about tomorrow, but as long as it's above freezing I'll be happy.

Trying to keep my elbows high on swim recovery has caused my previously separated shoulder to flare up. Very painful earlier in the week.

• -14c here! Indoor training on the menu.
  • 2hr 45 ride on schedule, the question is should I ride for 2hr 45 on the turbo??
  • TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    Tough call isn't it?

Thinking of doing mine and watching the rugby at the same time later this afternoon.

Keep warm and safe everyone.
  • -7c XC 10K race this morning in the Surrey Hills. My word, that was cold . Found fingers again about 3K in after a considerable amount of pain.

There were quite a few bikes out and about.

Podds, I think you may have to bite the bullet to a degree, although I wouldn't venture out when obviously icy. Or can you turbo at all? I know it's damned miserable but multi-layering does help. Last week we managed 2 hours something before the cold really hit and it was about 3-5 degrees I think? You do need to keep the old engine on the boil though.
  • It was about -6C this morning for a group ride. It took an age to warm up, and after a quick break halfway it was like cycling in treacle as my muscles had cooled.Slush in water bottles.

Hot bath and coffee to recover.2:26 of thr 2:45 completed.

I think it was about 2C last weekend.

• Didn't cycle - snow and ice abounded this morning following a light dusting last night but did manage 8 miles XC run instead - wind chill made my face and fingers not nice to know!! Got down in the dykes though which cut the wind out and it was almost pleasant......

It's not the cold that bothers me per se (although I'd far rather have a nice hot day image ) it's the idea of coming off my bike if I hit ice etc

Hope the shoulder settles Cat5

• Podds - i think you are wise to be careful. This weekend in Kent there is far too much ice around. Last weekend was fine, I managed 50 miles.

Its fair to risky to cycle once there is a risk of ice. I planning on running tomorrow. Hopefully it will be in deep snow image

• btw re Heart Rate training....

For my first year of IM training my legs were so weak cycling that I didn't have to try to keep my heart rate low - it just always was !

I still don't bother monitoring my heart rate on the bike, its impossible for me to over work as I still don't really have much power in my legs.
  • I had planned today as a rest day as tomorrow i had a bike ride, cross country and an OW swim planned....... now the snow has cancelled the swim and the x country and I cannot bike in this snow.........so will have to do a LSR tomorrow.........

• Agree its too icy to go out on the bike.  But I've done nofink today or yesterday anyway cos been away for a couple of days to see my Mum who's not well.  I will be on the turbo tomorrow though with a couple of DVDs.  Yes it will be boring as hell but I'm sure there will be a time on race day when I want to stop so its good mental preparation.  I run to heart rate and work the turbo to heart rate but I find it difficult to keep track of it on the bike normally. It goes through the roof on a hill/upflat and then I coast down hill which means the average is totally skewed. 

Take care everyone and thanks for the comments.

• The Kit Fairy wrote (see)

If you want kit in time for Outlaw, you really need to be getting your name down on 2012 Pirate Kit Order Threadimage

For it to arrive prior to 1 July, I really need to be closing the order book and collecting monies by the end of Feb/mid March

• Just popping in to check everyone is okay, and it seems that you are!

As you were!

• <gives Min a big hug for looking out for us all>

I've done a good hour's run today and really enjoyed it.   Half an hour out and half an hour back.  No idea how far so no idea how slow but a big tick still put in the box as run done. I like this running to time. image Then did a swim. Another box ticked. Result.

• All been indoors training for me thus far this week. Swim yesterday, spinning yesterday evening and then a gym based brick session this evening.

Next up is a 9 mile run, which was planned to be tomorrow night after work. Think I'll take my stuff and decide if its too icy / snowy tomorrow...

• My biggest brick to date today. The plan was for a long ride and the icy was a worry so the turbo it was to be.

I actually ended up running for just over an hour and did 6 miles. My heart rate was really high for at least 20 mins. and I had to slow my usual slow pace to snail pace.

• Only swimming for me - still snow and ice bound so bike and run outside are out - in fact pool car park was coated in 2 inches of sheet ice this morning where yesterday's slight thaw in the sun had frozen overnight which made for an interesting few minutes both in the car and between car and water image
  • Weather sounds really sh*t for you all. I'm lucky enough to have sneaked in a couple of days to Devon and the weather is wonderful. No sign of ice or snow. Ran down the sea front today - bliss. The pool here is only about 10m long though, 4 strokes and I'm at the other end but good for drills. Still can't kick my legs as well as move my arms though. Thats my next challenge. image
  • I have given up trying to use my legs as i go slower if i do.....image