Ask the Experts: Marathon Training Q&A with Steve Smythe

13»

Comments

• Thanks Steve, that makes sense. Just realised my typo, I have only been injured since Dec so last 7 weeks so not as bad as it could be!
  • I am really struggling with my footwear.

I am taking part in my 3rd Marathon in April and having been through an injury last year, was advised to stop wearing my orthotics and change to a mid/ forefoot shoe which I did.

I am up to 14 - 15 miles as my long run at the moment and am really struggling with calf and achilles tightness. It is not actually painful when I run but I can certainly feel it the next day.

I am looking to run under 3.40 this year and really need to get my shoes issues sorted before the monster miles kick in.

Any advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi technically this thread closed on Friday. I would suggest seeing an osteopath or chiropractor and checking the feet bones are aligned correctly but also trying to loosen out the calf muscles. A sports massage might help. It may be best to stay off road whenever possible and getting a secondary shoe to train in  in case current pair are wearing down and putting more strain on calf/achilles. also straight after a run ice the achilles/calf area
  • Hi Steve

I am somewhat new to running. In was a competitive bodybuilder 10 years ago and ran to slim down for the stage and have continued gym training more or less since. I have decided to enter the London marathon and have started running 3 to 4 times per week since 8 weeks ago. I am up to 5.5 miles for the long run,albeit slowish. Last week following the run I felt terrible up to 48 hours after the run. In felt like my body wasn't reck drying nor could it use the carbs I was eating. I have a health diet and hydrate with 2litres per day. My legs just hurt and felt heavy. I was lethargic and felt awful. Any thoughts about what this might be? I have had my gait tested and this is fine. Thought it might be metabolic or something.