Ultra 30

Hi all,

The second year of the Croydon Ultra 30 takes place on July 8th. Check out the event website at www.personaltrainercroydon.co.uk or via Runners World.

The event is 30 miles with a 15 mile option / cut off. Checkpoints at 7.5 miles, 15 miles and 22.5miles. These will be well stocked with yummy food, water, squash and gels. Last years cake was a big hit so we will make sure we have plenty more of that for everyone! Plus we have friendly Marshalls to guide you on your way.

All entrants will receive a goody bag and finishers medal. We have taken on board constructive comments from the inaugural event last year and will have improved signage and some minor changes to the route.

Entry is 20 quid, so good value for money. Places are starting to fill up.

Comments

• hi ian, ive just tried to look at this on events page but it keeps returning me to default page of RWimage....what is the cut off time for tthis event? and is it loops? thanks

• any one else entering  this? good as a training run i believeimage
  • Looks interesting, will give it some thought, agreed definetly a bargin from the looks of things.
  • see ya thereimage
  • Very tentatively thinking about this - it would be my first excursion beyond 26.2m. How much navigation would be required? It's the thought of stumbling off in the wrong direction that puts me off the idea of ultras, as navigation isn't my strong point at the best of times, let alone when I'm a bit low on blood sugar.
  • RR, i think they are improving the signage this year on the route but if you do to the website for the event you can see its 7.5 out and back x2 so not much scope for getting lost.imageim bit naff at map/directions too but i think they are quite clear, so should be okimage
  • Running rodent - Its a relatively simple course to follow and taking on board comments from last years inaugural event we will be making the route signage even better. So you will find it dead easy to follow.

Loulabell - you are right it's pretty straight forward and we do put signage up and will be making it better this year.
  • Running round in circles for 30 miles? What could possibly go wrong image . What the heck, I'll give it a go. Worst that can happen is I take a wrong turning and find myself on the runway at Biggin Hill...
  • dyu know Croydon at all RR? i dont knw tht area at allimage  i'll give anything a go , so im in tooimage....i dnt think there will be many of us...so i'll just follow youimage
  • ian, i cant find a link that works to view a route map. have you any other links/email for a map please?
  • Nope, never been there in my life! Recently relocated to London (from Scotland) though, so I might try and do a bit of pre-race investigation and have a look at the route in advance.
  • Loulabel
    If you type in the following to your browser it wil come up with the route.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4447885

Hope that works for you.....
  • yes, thank youimage
  • I did 34 miles last year, I got very lost
  • hellen wrote (see)
    I did 34 miles last year, I got very lost
    image how????????????? s'only 7.5 miles out n back isnt it? image better tell me where you went wrong hellen
  • Ian, I fancy this but can't commit to it just yet, what's the likelihood it will fill up totally
  • Hellen, we would anticipate with improved route marking there will be no issues with navigation and doing any extrra mileage.

EG if you can book ahead of time it would ease planning but you have lots of time still.
  • Hi Ian,

I'm hoping to join you for this one - looks like a good training run before NDW50. But I don't want to officially enter either of them until after I've completed the London Ultra!

At the end of the first loop, it looks like it's: Primrose Lane, Shirley Road, Green Ct Av, Addiscombe Road, Upfield, Grimswade... is it then Sandilands, Harland, Radcliffe, Ranmore to reach the clubhouse, before setting off again round the cricket pitch,down Radcliffe, and up Addiscombe?

And the finish is Fitzjames, Upland, Mapledean, Grimswade and straight on into the club?

And I see we have the lovely Spout Hill to get up - at least that's relatively early!

• hi Debra, i will see you there, glad you know the route i wil be following you!...have you a time in mind? maybe 5:15?
  • Hi all

I just book my place.Will be my first ultra,after I had to opt out of London ultra due to fractured ribs few weeks ago.Will do 3 marathons in April and May so will run this like another,a bit longer,marathon.

• hi Tanas..wow , 3 maras in april??????image
  • Loulabell, I wouldn't say I know the route - I've been lost on the roads around the clubhouse lots of times! But I have run some of these roads before, and I'm learning the roads around Sandilands gradually (a total lack of sense of direction doesn't help, nor the number of roads which turn by 90 degrees), and I'll probably make use of the route for some long training runs, so hopefully I'll know where I'm going on the day.

As for expected time, ask me after 19th Feb...

• image okeydokey. at least you will be familiar with some of the roads and scenery which is more thn i will be...image, is london 50k your first ultra Debs? ive forgotton whose done what now  over on the ultra threadimage cant keep up with all the lads adventures on there lol
  • Hi Loulabell,two in April ,Brighton and MK,than Richmond Park in May.Maybe a bit to much but would like to push myself this year and see how far I can go.How about yourself,you are doing few races too?
  • Tanas, ive just entered croydon online!! no backing out now! i think this event had a very small group last year but maybe more this timeimage...i may see you at MK as im there supporting my OH and some friends..i have a few events this year. have just done my first mara so a bit of a toddler at all thisimage...i have northants ultra 35, then croydon, then NDW 50image...then Abingdon mara in oct
  • Loulabell, yes the London Ultra is my first. Tapering now - will be missing a great club run on Sunday, but I'm only supposed to do 6 miles, not 15 hilly!
  • its very hard holding back isnt it? i was going nuts before Glouces. just having to  do 7/8 when i wanted to  dp 17/18!!image
  • On the plus side, I only need to be at the clubhouse at 08.30, not at East Croydon rail station in time to catch an 07.55 train...
  • is that for the london ultra or croydon Debs?
  • Just for this Sunday's run! For the Croydon Ultra I can cycle to the clubhouse or be lazy and get my husband to drop me there. For the London Ultra, I'll definitely get my husband to drive me to the start in plenty of time to get my number etc.