Ultra 30

Comments

• Hope everyones training is going well.
  • hi ian, nice sunny but chilly 18miles this a.m for meimage  i have looked at the route, quite nice that its one loop and then an out and back on the 2nd partimage
  • Hi Ian, good to see that year 2 is going ahead.  I ran last year, not sure if I'll be back as it kinda depends on other plans but it's on the tentative list.

I think I said this at the time (but I was somewhat tired so who knows) but I think what would be a great help to runners this year would be:

- street names [or more street names] on the map provided so if you do go wrong you can get back on track more easily- especially on the second half.

- a big sign by the tram crossing so people get onto the right path at the begining of the cycle path section (this was my biggest mistake!)

- someway of ensuring people can easily find to the turn around at Ladywell as the roads around the station there are very confusing (especially after running 23 miles!!) and I think this is where most people went wrong.

Hope this is helpful and best of luck for Croydon Ultra 2012!

• breadsweatandbeers...thanks for those pointers-not sure i will remember those but i will try! is the map provided on the day or can it be obtained prior to event?
  • Loulabell, Ian Campbell provided you with a link to a route map earlier, remember:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4447885

Once I start using sections of it for training, I'll post any comments here.

• Had a great training run this last weekend st Steyning. Very muddy and slippery and lots and lots of rain. It was an absolute joy!  

Had a few more entries in for this event. so book up early. Will be doing a couple of route recces over the next few weeks if anyone is interested. 

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    ive paid entry and am in..how many entrants so far ian?
  • Hi Ian,

Okay, how do I enter? I've been to your website and it has info for 2011 inaugural race, not this year's race.

I enjoyed the London Ultra 50K and I've entered NDW50, and I think this would be a good run on the way to that. Do let me know when you're doing a recce. and I'll see if I can come.

• Debra -  You can enter via the Runners World online entry - quickest way. I am having a few issues getting the website updated. Otherwise message me with your email address and I will email you the correct form.   I will post when I plan to do a recce run. More likely to be after April. I tend to run quite early on Sunday mornings.

Loulabell - I am about 50% full based on last years numbers. Although at this time last year I had not even got this thing going!   I have room for more entrants.  

Breadsweatandbeers - your comments and others from last year have been taken on board and marking especially on the second half will be improved. In fact, one very kind soul from last year has helped me out on that point. I hope to see you this but if not good luck with your race plans! 

• Hope your Easter weekend training has gone well. A variety of weather to keep it interesting and looks like some more to come!
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    not too bad Ian thank you, did 17miles yesterday which was nice..planned on another today to make B2B, but the awful rain put pay to that......how has training been for you?
  • Loulabell - was down in Eastbourne over the long weekend so took advantage of some extra hill training by running up and over Beachy Head and the downs a few times. Even with some rain it was great fun. 
  • Hope everyone's training is ramping up. The warmer weather is upon us and it is just a joy to out and about on the trails. Managed to get a lovely slice of the Vanguard Way trail done on Sunday. Superb stuff.
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    how far was that Ian? myself and 3 others visited Forest of Dean for a random adventure run, 23.5 miles was the distance but felt like 30 with the ascentimage..loots of mud, hills and trail, brilliant fun and great for me as i never usually run anything like that on my homeground.
  • well done loulabell that sounds like a jolly good training run.....i made it around 21 miles.. it was not really muddy so was a joy to run although it did rain for a while....
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    have you many more entrants yet?image
  • Hya Lou

One more entrant coming up soon, how's it going 

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    EG!!! hiya!! are you still doing Croydon? thats fab!! im fine, ta. had a great run in Forest of Dean as posted above....brilliant training for off-road....really fun. image how are you? have you thought about a time frame for Croydon?
  • Hya Lou, I'm going to put my name down because I cannot find a decent marathon in July other than Isle of Man, and getting time away is not good for that one. The Croydon sounds really good but it will be only a fortnight after finishing the Wall, and doing 70 miles which is further than I ever thought I would do, might mean I can't manage do it, time will tell.

Judging by the previous Ultra I think I went throught the 30 mile mark in 5:21 so I'd expect maybe a few mins ahead of that if I can recover, time's not the important thing for me, it's about getting through it this year, still on for 12 in 12 I have Manchester this sunday and Sunderland the next with Dukeries 30 miler coming up.

When's your next event? sounds like your piling the miles on

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    hi EG, my next event is Northants on 27th May, day after your Dukeries...image...its off road so not sure what time i will do...like you say its the getting through it
  • I'm liking off road more and more lately, mud and all,
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    yes me too...after Saturday  i think im going that way too...bit more forgiving on the knees
  • I'm keeping my eye open for Llanelli again apparently opens up before month end for 2013
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    i think id like to do that one too EG.
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

the guy that came 2nd at Llanelli ultra was one of the ones i ran with on saturday at forest of Dean.

• Howdy folks - well, I survived Paris in one piece, so this will be my next race. There's the little matter of running from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh next month, but that's a holiday, not a race, so it doesn't count (and it takes a week).

I really need to have a proper look at the route for this one - I'm hoping to have a look round and maybe run some bits of it before the big day. Navigation isn't my strong point, so I'm going to need all the help I can get if I'm not going to end up running twice the distance.

The other challenge is to work out a nutrition strategy - there's no way I'm running 30 miles fuelled only by Shotbloks, so I need to work out what 'real food' works for me. So far I'm thinking malt loaf and pretzels, but it's a work in progress.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

RR, i like pretzels too, the salt helps. malt loaf works too for me, as does, choccy, FGS on the go,jaffa cakes and peanut butter sarnie. im not great on navigation either. what time are you aiming for at Croydon?

• I'm aiming to finish, basically. This will be my first attempt at anything beyond marathon distance, so I don't really have any expectations. My Paris time was 4:08, but that was a fast flat course, so something under 5:30 would be good.
  • Seven weeks to go so if you have not entered then please get your entries in. Looking forward to seeing you all at the start line. 

• Ian - has the route been finalised yet? I'm hoping to have a go at some bits of it in preparation, so if I use last year's course as a guide, is that likely to be roughly right?