Options

Ultra 30

Comments

• Options

RR the route will not change from last year although there might be some very minor changes. here is the route details

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4447885

• Options
    Boing.

How's training going folks? I've done both halves of the course now over the past two weekends, in the hope that I won't get lost on the day (including running through a street party last weekend - I feel they might have offered me a sausage roll!). Last long run this weekend, then thinking about tapering.
  • Options

Hi RR. I've run the course in two sections as well. Didn't like some road bits in the first half where I failed to find the off-road paths (not knowing they existed) and nearly got flattened by some cars on the twisty bits of road, but Ian assures me that the points to get onto the foot paths parallelling the roads will be well marked on the day. Also didn't like trying to cross the main road at Catford Bridge, and failed to find which road I was supposed to run down on the other side of the main road, so I must look at the maps better then try that part again!

How are you doing with your malt loaf and pretzels? I like those, also flapjacks and Kendal mint cake.

For me, this ultra is also going to be a test on wearing my VivoBarefoot Neos for hopefully the whole run - since I want to wear my trail Neos for NDW50 five weeks later.

Note to all: Featherbed Lane is the road just after the White Bear pub, but there's no road name sign, so just turn left after the pub!

• Options

Debra

It will be marked on the day but at Catford you do not go over the road. You go under the bridge which then goes past the entrance to the station.

Also, turn off at featherbed lane will be marked as will the turn off for the offroad sections. 

Happy training.... ps we will have a pre and post run massage facility available on race day. I have circulated details of this in my last email but will be sending out further info this w/e. 

• Options

Hi Ian,

I'm sure it will be marked on the day - my comment re. Featherbed Lane was for anyone else running it as a training run (not a comment on your run, I'm just getting fed up of trying to follow directions on training runs in general when half of UK roads don't have any signs on them giving their names).

Looking again at the route, on higher magnification, I see that when I ran up from the waterway route, past a few large stores and reached the main road, I should have instead have veered right, across the car park, and would then have found the route under the bridge. That (a) makes more sense and (b) explains how I failed to find Adenmore Rd once I'd crossed the road - it doesn't have an end coming out onto the main road!

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

hi ian, unfortunatly im not going to be able to make it to croydon ultra now. am a bit fed up about it as i did my first ultra end of may and it went really well. my daughter had some dance exams which fall on same day, they have now been changed to another date but my oh has booked to do the london 10k that same weekend  now so i have no way of doing croydon. there is someone who ran northants with me who may be able to do croydon in my place so i will let you know if he can. hope everyones training going well for croydon.lou x

• Options
    Debra - yes, I had a few hairy moments on the road as well, so I'm hoping there will be signposts to offroad paths as well.

I'm supplementing the malt loaf with jam sandwiches now, which I've discovered are a great morale booster. Unfortunately they don't transport well on the run, so I might leave one at the Sandilands feed stop as something to look forward to.

Loulabell - that's a shame. I have a friend who's doing the 10k as well, so we're going to carb up together the night before (OK, so you don't really need to carb up for 10k, but who's counting?).
  • Options

If I was to do this, taking LLBs place I would have no chance of any recce.  What is the navigation like?

• Options
    Spen - Ian will probably get in touch with you, but the navigation is OK. My sense of direction isn't great, and my map reading is worse, so I went over the route and wrote down a list of all the street names and turning points etc, and had a look at some of it on Google street view.. A lot of the second half is on a signposted cycle path as well.
  • Options

Spen, like Running Rodent says, it's not bad - message me and I could send you the directions I wrote for myself if you want (you might want to wait for those until after this Sunday when I hope to try the section towards Catford Bridge again). Ian's website also mentioned that there would be written instructions on the day, as well as markings. The cycling map I took with me for the first half ran out just before the Featherbed Lane turn (naturally) , so I had to check with some people sitting outside the White Bear, which is why I mentioned it - street signs, why should we have street signs???!!!

• Options

RR - you will be able to leave a drop bag at Sandilands half way point so your jam sandwiches will be safe!

Spen - as RR and Debra state the route will be marked and there will be a route description for all runners. You should be fine as its really straight forward. There will also be a race briefing at the start to make sure all is OK etc.   

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

ian ,doyou know of any other events run by yourself or anyone else similar in south east i could do? im really a bit gutted i cant get to this one now

• Options

Lou, depends when you are planning on racing. I organise a race in October, Vanguard Way part of Extreme Energy. Its a two day multi stage but you can enter for one day as well. Oct 6 and 7th. I can recommend that. 

This maybe too early for you, but I would recommend the Downlands 30 in late July. I will be doing that one. I've done it twice before. Out and back over the South Downs.

There is always the Beachy Head marathon in end October. Its usually full but they do have a waiting list and I've put my name on it before and got a place, so worth a try. great but hard course.        

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Ian - I was going to mention the Downlands 30 but didn't want to go suggesting other races on a thread for your race!

The south downs are a great place to run, worth looking at loulabell image

• Options

Ian, can you confirm that I am on the entry list as haven't recieved any of your emails,

David Hollidge also my brother Paul should be entered? Thanks

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

thanks ian and wib, late july is prob a bit late yes as i have northdowns dont forget wib on 11th..but early october sounds good as i have abingon marathon on 21st oct so theres a decent enough gap for that. may look at vanguards then ian. what do i do about my entry fee for croydon if spen doesnt want to have my place? 

• Options

Loulabel - sorry for delay in responding. if your friend cant take your place then i can refund or defer you to 2013 if you like. let me know what the outcome is first. Ian 

• Options

Loulabel, i can refund or defer you to next year if you like. let me know what Spen71 does.  

DR H - you should have received the email update last week. I will double check the mailing list. Should be another mailing out this w/e.  

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

hi ian. spen is doing a mara that day so could you please keep the entry fee and put me down for next years croydon?thats fine,thanks ,lou

• Options

Did the section Elmers End to Catford again yesterday (I hesitate to say I "ran" it as I was rather slow after North Downs Run in Sunday) and this time I didn't lose the Cycle Route 21 signs (nice to know I was supposed to be following them) and I was fine; found the route under the bridge at Catford without any difficulty, and didn't make any wrong turnings on the way back either!

• Options

way to go Debra.... your lead runner !!! 

I will be mailing out the directions in the next few days.....

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

hope all your training is going ok everyoneimage still gutted i cant join the funimage

• Options

hay Ian and everyone else, Ive finally taken the plunge and signed up for this, it`ll be my first official ultra.

Ian, I havent heard anything since I signed up, can you confirmed that Im in?

• Options

Andy - i can confirm you are in. Glad you made it and I  am sure you will have a great time at your first Ultra.

Hi all - will be sending out final route directions to the mailing list tonight.... 

• Options
    Andy - it'll be my first too. PB for both of us then, assuming we both manage to crawl across the line image .

Route instructions received - now I have to construct some kind of hat and dangling fishing rod arrangement so I can read it as I run along...
  • Options
    Weather forecast not looking great for Sunday - wellies, anyone image ?
  • Options

hay y`all really bone question I know but do all 30milers start at 0800 or can we choose our start time?

• Options

Andy, as I recall, the 0800 start time is for those who think they'll be very slow - there was a cut-off indicated somewhere of seven hours - everyone needs to finish by 1600 hours (4 pm).

ALL: near the end, when you've turned from Addiscombe Road into Sandilands, FitzJames is a LEFT not a right turn to reach & cross Mapledene and reach Uplands! (and near the start when you've gone along the edge of Lloyd Road and across Coombe Road, it's right-then-immediately-left into Campden Road). But I'm sure it will be well marked tomorrow.

Also, there's a sign on Addiscombe Road saying that Addiscombe Road is closed from Shirley Road to Sandilands tomorrow for a Triathlon, but Ian says it wasn't a problem last year and they let people drive in okay. (Alternative route would be along Lower Addiscombe Road, left into Clyde Road and to end, left into Addiscombe Road, Right into Radcliffe, left into Haveland then Right into Sandilands - but I'm hoping not too need that detour!)

• Options
    I'm sure it will all make sense on the day...

Good luck folks - see you all tomorrow.
  • Options

Thanks Debra, im as slow as continental drift tbh.

See you all tomorrow