NIKE RUN LONDON 10K

2»

Comments

• I couldnt believe how many people were there!
    I started off close to the front of the intermediates, it took me 6 mins to cross the start line and I was passing people all the way up to the finishing line but all I ever saw was yet more yellow t shirts in front of me, looked good though
    in fished in 50 mins 51 seconds, very pleased with my self

ok the transport wasnt great, but what do you expect with over 20 000 people trying to get to one place in london at the some time, I got up at 6.30 to make it there on time I wish more people had.
  • Despite a problematic achilles tendon, I was really pleased with my 68 mins for my second ever 10k run. Yes, the buses were a nightmare but what the heck - it was great fun once you were actually there. I was caught out early on by a young 'scallywag' who informed me my laces were undone - doh!. Fell for it though.Generally thought the spectators were really encoraging and a huge thanks to all those runners who'd already finished but who came back to cheer the rest of us on. The only really bad bit was seeing the medics working frantically on someone near the finish line - I do hope they were OK?.
  • Good race despite me being ill with flu and it taking me 3 hours to get home due to the rubbish transport
  • As MAB said, up with the lark and a shame more people didn't. I got first tube from North London and was on a train from Waterloo to Mortlake by 8am. Walked from there. No probs. Did the same journey home again (with seats on each train/tube). Only real dilema I had was which tree to pee behind just before the greenies took off!
  • My first ever 10K race and did it in 70mins. Not bad, wish course wasnt so hilly! I really appreciated all the supporters. Just have to carry on training now!
  • Shambles!

Thats the only way to describe it.
    Compared to last years event at Kew this was an absolute disaster.

I took the shuttle bus from Wimbledon, inadvertantly queue jumping (I walked to Wimbledon station from the other direction so didn't see the long queue) which was quite lucky. I arrived at Richmond Park ok, dumped bag with brother and told him I'd see him anytime between 11 and 11:30 at the finish.

At 10:55 I started running, I was midway through the 1st intermediate start, there was no explanation for the delay, no steward came by to explain, nothing. It took 10 mins to cross the start line and by then I was well narked off. Not only had I been waiting around for over an hour in the cold (i was queued up well before 10), but I now needed the loo and was not in the best frame of mind to run. Had the race started just another 5 mins later I would have walked off and gone home.

Now to the race, felt like it was uphill all the way, and those hills at 6K were a killer. I couldn't settle into a decent pace, running in the middle of the road I would be running too fast, at the side I kept having to dodge those who were walking and going much slower than me. There was no happy medium.

I finished in 1:01 something - about a minute slower than last year and then eventually found my bro. We then queued to get a shuttle bus home, there was an announcement saying that due to the traffic conditions buses were taking 1 hour for a round trip. We took the train home.

Sorry for the rant, but after enjoying this race so much last year I feel very let down and disappointed that this years was so poor. Transport is admittedly a little out of the hands of the organisers, but announcements over a 1 hour late start definetly are. I will not be running this race ever again.

Strange as it may seem I had important things to do for the rest of the day, which I eventually finished at 11 oclock last night, had Nike done things properly I could have been finished a whole lot earlier - and so might be in a better frame of mind today.
  • Sorry to hear of your troubles helbel.

I was near the front of the Intermediates and heard half a dozen announcements explaining the reason for the delay.

I was also worried about needing a pee half way around and had to go for two extra's while I was waiting for the start of the race.

If you don't like the hassle I guess its better to stick to smaller organised runs.
  • Thanks Stevo,

I feel better for the rant, the thing is the Nike run last year was my first ever race, the one this year was my second! - I had a very bad winter injury wise.

I shall probably look for smaller runs in future, perhaps the Wimbledon 10k, at least living locally I'll be able to practice the hill in advance!
  • I would fancy doing Wimbledon - its not too far from where I live (Horsham).

I am thinking of doing Brighton in November to try for my first sub 45 minute. Its supposed to be a fast one. There and back along the sea front - loads of sea air!!!
  • When are Brighton and Wimbledon? couldn't make it yesterday due to childcare problems..interesting reading about the race...I would have loved to have neen there
  • I had a great day (transport aside), 1:01 for my first 10K, which I was quite pleased with. Ran most of the way with a guy called Damien, so if you read this Thanks!
  • I was the talk of the office today. It was great talking about the race.

My friends/family said it was such a great day for them from a spectator's point of view, especially the watching swarms of people with the same colour tops on.

Zebedee - I am also joining in the Nike Town runs every Tuesday, in fact will be going tomorrow to do a 5K run (don't think my legs will take longer at this early stage). I will be kitted out in all black Nike gear, a blue bandana holding an "0" shaped water bottle. Say hi if you see me or anyone else for that matter, I promise I don't bite (ha, ha).

Sammy :0)

• Well done all of you. I didn't do the race as yesterday was my last long run before the Chicago Marathon, but I decided to do two laps of the Park as part of my run. The sight of 20,000 yellow shirts in one almost continous ribbon was incredible, and I kept wishing I'd brought my camera. Have to say, though, that I was surprised by the number of people at the back of the last group who clearly had no intention of running - it's called Run London, after all, the intention was to get people to do some training (running) before, and there were plenty of people who would have run it if only they could have got in. Run-walk's fine, but walk-walk is a bit naughty; there's the Playtex event if you want to walk the whole way.

Great visual event though - if the t-shirts are blue next year, I just might do it!
  • I agree with you about the people having no intention of running. Its not that much of a problem if they start at the back... unfortunately some of them started at the front of the first group! Passed two pram pushers on the way to the 2K mark! To be fair though another finished only 10 minutes behind me! Being my first 10K, I had a lot to learn about running with so many people. The main one being not to get frustrated and blow any chance of finishing in under an hour which was my target... failed that one but still enjoyed the race even if it felt more like 11K dodging slower runners and walkers. I guess thats what mass events are all about and maybe we should just soak in the specticale and atmosphere. For many just finishing was an achievement and nobody should knock that. I would rather they walked than have more of the sight the beginners faced of a runner being resuscitated near the finish. I for one hope that had a happy ending.
  • Sammy - Glad you are going to be doing the NikeTown runs. Not doing tonight though as I have a hundred and one things to do and also the tube strike is putting a damper on it! Am off to France for a long weekend (sister getting married) so look out for me next week with the beret and string of onions!! Have fun
  • Did the Nike 10k in 55 mins which was pleased. Although thought whole event was badly managed due to the late start and the nightmare getting out of that place. Based on that, won't be doing it again. Would be interested in running a 10 miler soon. Anyone know of good ones in the south?
  • Have you all visited the RunLondon website ? Go to the photo finish bit, type in your time and hey presto, a horror movie!! (Doesn't work on Macs.) And apologies if someone's already posted this info.
  • I would also be interested in a 10 miler as preparation for a half miler. Any in the south (near Horsham)? Have you covered that distance before nicola? I have done it on my own road running twice. Once this summer and once last. Would be good to do an organised one tho'
  • I meant Half marathon - DOH!
  • I was a bit sceptical about mass participation 10k races but seeing all these new runners who seem to have had a ball, I've changed my mind. Good on ya! Well done the lot of you but especially the first timers. Maybe this is the beginning of a new running boom which will see you venturing out into some of the great local 5 & 10k races which all have their own inner lovliness.
  • Just to let you know Kingston Running Festival is soon approaching - 13th October. You can either do marathon, 16 miles or 8 miles. Website www.humanrace.co.uk
  • Claire - there is the wimbledon 10 miler coming up.

There are details on this site. Look under events.

Cheers

Stevo
  • that was my first 10k really enjoyed myself.my time was 59min 14sec,have got the bug know so looking to do another one soon.
  • sorry forgot to say only been running for about 8weeks so i was pretty pleased with my time.