Hanley Building Society Potters Arf Marathon

compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
done this race a couple of times and it is a tough race with that steep hill at 11 miles good luck to all running this year I am doing Marsden challange this time

Comments

• Done it the last 2 years on the trot, and will be doing it again this year.

Hilly course with a great finish and well supported through out!

(last hills a killer)

• did it in 2010 and looks like im gonna be doing it again this year image
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    will miss it this time as doing Marsden 10 mile challange
  • any more info appreciated! thinkin on it.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    ET

yes this race as few steep hills one at mile 11 it starts in Hanley town centre runs though the centre and out not sure of the which areas i would say do it quite a good race
  • I'm reckoning on doing this for the first time.

So...not a fast course then with it being hilly and all? Anyone got a profile for it? Garmin link perhaps?

• pottermisspottermiss ✭✭✭

Does this help? image

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/504669/Gallery/Potters_arf_elevation.JPG

• Genius! Ta!
    I'd actually entered Anyroad, so now revisiting hill training!! Thanks for this!
  • It says `full` on the banner but I don`t think it is. Also read about `time bonus `medals. What`s that about? Anyone know? Sounds fun! Thinking about entering this weekend.

• ET, found this on the website. I'm hoping for a nice shiny bronze one.....

The 2012 Potters ‘Arf Marathon will see the time bonus medals with runners who finish in under 1h 30m receive a gold medal, runners completing the course in under 1h 45m getting a silver and runners who finish the course in under 2 hours getting a bronze medal. 

All other runners who finish the race will get a finishers medal.

• Sounds like a nice idea. Must be tricky for them to get the quantities right too!

• Oh I LIKE that idea!!

I've done a fair few 1/2's recently all around 1:31 ish. I've been training for this with intentions of sub 1:30 again. Now I've got a clear goal an motivation!

Bring it on!!
  • I`m in! I`ll aim for the 1:45 mark. My last few have been around 1.39/1.40 but how much slower am I likely to be in Hanley?! image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i was told that the potters is about 2-3mins slower than a flat HM.

i ran last yr in non stop monsoon and the crowd were outstanding...if you get a warm day then i can only imagine how good the atmosphere will be.

Regards the hills, from memory there are 2 big ones.  One early on about mile 4 and mile 11.  The crowd support drives you up them to be honest and all the other hills have immediate downhils straight away to get you ave pace back on track.

• Entering this as my second half marathon, those hills look intense! Also like the sound of the medal's for certain time's, my last HM was 1.46.42 was hoping to go sub 1.45 next time those hills will make a it a nice challenge!!

• Thanks Dean, that's really helpful. It sounds as though I may be in with a chance of getting my bronze medal after all! image

• Think/Hope I should be in for this one. Lots will depend on my work rota and how I feel after doing the Leadenboots Peak district Marathon 2 weeks before. 

I have done this one before and I promise you that finishing it will give you great satisfaction. There are a couple of ridiculous hills, the one at 4 miles although not particulaly steep, seems to go on for ever and ever. Then at about mile 11-12 there is a hill that is like climbing up a mountain, however, knowing its at the end helps you put the effort in to dig you up it. 

I too done it last year, sadly last year it was attrocious weather, pouring with rain from start too finish. Still well supported but would be great in the dry. Don't expect stunning staffordshire scenery though, much of this is ran through some quite large housing estates, but the locals are great for shouting support. 

dam drat blast, Ive just talked my self back in to it, 

see you on the start line. 

• Thanks for info. Miles 4 and 11 should be fun then! Mind you, I`m doing Eyam this weekend and that`s allegedly one of the hilliest in the country! image

• Eyam? Thats a new one on me ET! Off to look now!

Best of luck with it anyroad. Let us know how you get on?

I'm at Hillwest 10k in Sutton Park, Birmingham. Lovely small friendly race over quite (another!) hilly a course. But beautiful place to run, as long as the damnable dogs keep the hell outta the way! Or rather the damnable owners retract those dopey extendable leads!! Where's 'Room 101' when you need it?!

• Looking forward to this myself.  I've not done a half for 2-3 years and was hoping for a silver but a 3 week chest infection has put that out of the question so I'll just have to push for bronze.

• Did Eyam today. Must say that I hope Potters is a bit easier otherwise a Silver would be a push for me. One of the climbs at Eyam was 800ft in 2 miles so Stoke ought to be relatively flat . . . image

• I did it a few years ago and it was probably the hottest weather I've ever run in. Only a few official drink stations so the locals with hoses, sprinklers and drinks tables were invaluable. If it's hot again, good idea to invest in a bottle belt so that at least you can start with drinks on board.

• I usually run 1.39/1.40 on a flattish course. I wonder how much slower I`m likely to be on this one. . . ?!

IM - Crikey! If it`s THAT hot I would really struggle. Don`t usually drink on runs unless they`re well over 2 hours tbh. image

• The Burton 10 mile is this weekend, its a good warm up event for this one, enter online though as places are limited www.burtonac.co.uk (think there is only 40 places remaing) 300 runners expected.

• just signed up for this one to, was 1.42 last weekend over a flatish HM really not sure what time to target for this one

• Ditto Gary, well I was just under 1.40 in January but almsot 10 minutes slower than that at Eyam. i`m eyeing the 1.45 tbh. but know that i need to pace it whilst saving for the late hill.

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

just signed up - bit late i know - been struggling with a torn calf but had two clear runs this weekend so bit the bullet and signed up. Done a 1.29 half mid Amsterdam marathon and Brighton Marathon so as long as the calf holds up it hoping for somewhere near 1.30 - run Milton Road at least twice a month in training so know it well - just take a good breath at the start and don't look at the top image

• What`s the forecast then?!

I over did it today. Did a training run that I thought would be 8-10 miles and it clocked in at 13+. It was quite warm and there were 3 hills of a mile+ in it. Recovery socks on and swigging green tea!

Something else I thought about was that I guess the time bonus medals will be gun-time so you don`t want to start too far back if it`s going to be a close call.