Hanley Building Society Potters Arf Marathon

13»

Comments

• this is my first half marathon and i am nervous but excited . got a bit of a dodgy knee aswell but i kind of no the route . i honestly think that Victoria road and anchor road will be the toughest bit for me ( and milton bank ) . anyone got any tips for a first half marathon runner ? thanks .

• Start off slow,dont get sucked in by older runners going past you,as they,ve probably done it for years,Just enjoy your 1st half marathon and then if you are alright after about 9 miles see if you want to push harder,

• Eric, got to agree about the number, it'll be like wearing a post race medal all the way round.

I got the weatherspoons found on my cask ale finder app. Amongst several other cask venues.
  • How did everyone get on?

Much warmer that I expected and my daughter gave me an early fathers day present in the form of a cold and bad chest. Wanted sub 2 and ran 2:12 so a little disappointed but not too much all things considered.

On the plus side my legs feel fresh as a bad chest meant I couldn't go quick enough to work them too hard ????
  • was much hotter than expected, some people seemed to be really struggling with the first aiders hope theyre all ok, idealy I'd have liked 1.45, came round in 1.51, trying not to be too disapointed in that, never realised just how hilly stoke is untill today

• pottermisspottermiss ✭✭✭

I managed to knock 6 minutes off last years time, and I think I got a PB by about 30 seconds, it was really tough though, it got so hot so quickly, I was a little disappointed that I didn't do better on the hills. I timed myself at 2.07, maybe sub 2 hours next year, or keep dreaming image

• Got 1.26,very pleased with 2nd half,had a few well deserved beers,

• Hi everyone. I got 2.00.07, bit annoyed I wasn't under 2 hours despite running like Usain Bolt the last 150m.

Does anyone know how long it normally takes for the results to show on the website?

• 1:26 on that course Eric is pretty awesome!
  • pottermisspottermiss ✭✭✭

I don't know about the website but the results are on UKresults now.

• Thanks pottermiss, found them. My chip time was 1.59.06 so I'm pleased. Good luck next year.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

well done all above...it got hot early on...highlight was the crowd....definately the noisest crowd i had the pleasure to run in front of. 

• As usual, a superbly organised event with fantastic support. Where did that heat come from??image

Gutted to have come in at 1 hr 47 mins...missed out on silver medal by 2 mins and I bet you can guess where I lost that time. Heartbreak Hill indeedimageimage

Well done everybody.

• Well done everyone!

I managed to get my bronze medal so really pleased. First half marathon I've ever had to walk in though!

Tough course but fantastically well organised, and I agree with Dean, the crowd were great!

• got a 1:55 so a bronze medal! YIPPEEEE!  Was the first time I have ran this race and good god those hills are relentless!  The crowd were great though and I got Jelly Babies and a hosing down en route....Brilliant! image

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

1.37 for me - best bit was i picked my 11yo son up near the finish and carried him over the finish line (had done the same with my 5yo last year so he said it was his turn) - promptly dropped him as we crossed the line - he is still complaining of a sore wrist!! image

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭

1:41for me, a whole 5 minutes slower than Lichfield Half a month earlier, those damn hills + the heat!

That finish line crowd though is something special.  I'm not one for the limelight but I just love finishing the Potters in front of that lot.

• 01:58:48 for me, stupid hills and I even drove the course the night before and knew they were coming too lol

Well organized run too and the crowd was great!!

Last run in the UK for me, as I'm being assigned back to the US in July

Cheers

• I travelled all the way from East Anglia to do this event are thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was only 43 seconds off my PB and given the hilly nature of the course I was really pleased with that.

The course was so hilly for me unlike anything I have run before.  I am coming back next year when I have sent a year with lots more hill sessions in!

A highlight for me was the free service offered by Bryan at www.racephotos.org.uk he took over 2000 pictures of the event and places them on his website where they can be downloaded for free.  Also of you email him then he will send you the high resolution copy of your image.  Again all absolutely free!!!  I got a fantastic image of my run with my close friend in the background.  The images really are great quality.  I only wish that we had a photographer in my neck of the woods that covered the local races like Bryan.

I just wondered it there was a plate for all finishers this year?  I missed mine but my friend got one in 2008, 2009 and 2011.  Does anyone know if there was one this year?

All in all a great event with great support very well organised and a lovely medal.  Next year I will get my gold!

• A bit late [12 hour shifts at work] but cheers Lee, It has taken me 10 years of training though,had loads of team mates around me for support,

• My first 'competitive' half marathon and I really enjoyed it.  Organisation was excellent and made life easy for the competitors. Felt a real sense of satisfaction as I crossed the line.  Quite surprised how hilly the course was.  The hill at 4 miles (Anchor Road) was early enough to not present much of a problem but the mountain at 11 miles (Milton Road) was really tough and denied me a silver medal!

Special mention to Bryan from racephotos.org.uk - nice website - I was able to download my pic for free and liked it so he kindly emailed me a high res version...might print that out to remind oneself of the pain (and achievement)...