Trionium Midsummer Munro Half-Marathon

Comments

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in a spare place for this?

I've just been diagnosed with an injury that will need a couple of months to heal.  Providing it's OK with the organiser, I'm happy to sell my entry.

• ShinyShiny ✭✭✭
    Alexandra S wrote (see)

Will I need trail shoes for this?!

If it's dry (and has been for a few days (like that's going to happen!)) then normal shoes are fine, but if it's wet then a bit of grip would certainly be beneficial

• Having trained for a 'half' I see this is 16 miles now! (is this right???)

Bit late to start training for 16 miles now!
  • Just entered and cant wait for race day! 

• Is there a link for the latest entrants list?

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    How can you call this a half marathon?
  • How far was last years race? Was that 13.1 miles, or was it also a 16 miler? Asking because I try to get an idea of what time I'm aiming for by looking at the results from last year. 

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

This is a special 'Olympic edition' Midsummer Munro. Add an additional 20% to your time from a previous Munro (25 minutes for a 2-hour finisher). This race isn't about your time - it's about finishing!

The race is now full. Entries on the day strictly by pre-arrangement only (rob@trionium.com).

Final runner list up on the web site tonight.

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you should send out an email to all the people who have entered and are still working on the belief that it's 13.1 miles - which is what they would have signed up for.
  • Suddenly I'm wishing we hadn't won the games! I haven't run more than 10 miles since the start of May image

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

Good point, Ian. Thanks. I will send out race instructions shortly with all details.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Lighten up Ian! Three bonus miles and an unknown number of bonus climbs. This is the good doctor's way of providing value for money.

<wibble>

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

Ach, Ian's right though... not everyone is used to 'the Trionium way'!

Muttley, you are also right though...you will know you have run this race! (Schedule no stairs).

• If you cant take a joke you shouldnt have joined! Am only up to 12 miles post injury but will drag myself round it for the third time somehow. Besides I need a new mug as the old one's cracked image I think the increased distance warrants a change of tactics though. I'm thinking run the flats, jog down the hills and power walk up. What do you reckon?

TS

• Really looking forward to this, all 16 miles of it. I've only taken up running very late in life (fifty plus) and I'm still at the stage where I relish each new event. This year I've already done Offa's 'Orror and the South Downs Half, both of which were very hilly, but this seems even tougher.

• just got the email... my brother just fainted (this is his first race)

16miles!!  cool!!  more pain...image

you are an evil man Dr Rob (in a nice way...)

• I have never ran further than 13.1 but i am a two year veteran of Three Forts half, and did Sussex half in Heathfield, which was very hilly. That is now 16 miles is going to be a challenge, and part of me thinks, can i really do it, but then there is part of me that thinks, wow! what if i did complete it, how cool would that be, and to get that medal. You see some races, which anyone can do, but i dont think you will see many first time runners in this one.

• We actually think the gr8 Dr Rob is jigsaw  in disguise from the saw movies and instead of the normal start we think he should be saying  LET THE GAMES BEGIN lol

• I did 10 miles today, and it was hilly in places, but really i was trying to work out my attack plan for next Saturday. I have realised it basicaly is this...'keep on truckin'..just dont stop, even if its a snails pace, which considering the hills, a snail will probably overtake me.

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

I love you all...! (In an evil way).

• YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    All,

I've decided to offer up my place for this if anyone would still like to enter.

PM me if interested.....

YP
  •  

YoungPup wrote (see)
    All,

I've decided to offer up my place for this if anyone would still like to enter.

PM me if interested.....

YP

Why did you decide to let your place go? I mean apart from the obvious, and the fact that i have thought about it every day. I think i have gone past the point of no return though. I think i have to do it. Told too many friends and family, and i am wearing a St. Catherine's Hospice charity top, so guess i am locked in ha ha.. That and i think, i just want to see if i can do it. Not knowing is the worst thing.

• YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    Ghostrider

You'll be fine.... I've done this race before, and have done other events organised by Dr Rob, and they are brilliantly organised and always have a fantastic supportive fun atmosphere.... This helps a lot when your heart is trying to burst out of your chest and you're halfway up the steps from the Stepping Stones....image

The only reason I'm not doing this one is that I've decided to have a go at breaking 40mins for a 10k on Sunday 24th, and I don't think 16 hilly miles is the right kind of prep......
  • Thanks Pup..that means a lot...i will certainly bear it in mind up the steps lol... well good luck with the 10k..

• Morning just a quick point, the river is running very high at the moment & with rain predicted all week I think the stepping stones crossing will be very dangerous, any plans to avoid this route altogether? I would like to take my phone with me on the day (for my running app) but I don't want to be taking it for a swim in the river!

Oh and England may be playing on Saturday & 16 miles at my pace means I'll be cutting it fine between the finish line & the nearest pub!!

P.S. I can't wait - bring it on!!!
  • if the stepping stones are flooded don't we reuse the footbridge?? 

let's just hope the rain holds of this week and we have a nice dry day... (hahahaha, can but hope...)

Dr Rob, we sent off in waves for this one?? 

• Alas the footbridge is also flooded yet still crossable just as long as you're fine with getting wet past your knees! I'm going for my last training session up Box Hill tonight I'll check how it is as I know the river can rise as quick as it can fall. But rain is scheduled Thurs - Sat this week, I can see little changing & fully expect we're gonna get very wet & cold!

Oh and for waves I hope not, I'll never get to watch the footie if we start any later than 4pm! & surely the first hill & steps will soon sort the field pace out? and it is only a small number of elite mad idiots attempting this, the field pace should thin out quickly!
  • Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

No waves - just 4pm for all Munroers.

If the footbridge is also flooded, then we will bin the loop at the bottom of Box Hill over the footbridge and stepping stones (you'll all still have to make the descent and re-ascent though, c'mon). This will have the effect of making the race route steeper on average - hooray.