Trionium Midsummer Munro Half-Marathon

Comments

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Bad luck on that, Chris. Sometimes to dnf is the right thing to do. There's always next year.

Well, that was tough. But I liked the new start. The long drag up the zigzag road was a good chance to get the pace and exertion level right.

I did about the time I expected (3hr 20 something) and at the 13 mile point was just outside my target of 2 hrs 30. As in previous years but despite the extra distance, it was those very final steps that did for me. After them my legs just went awol. With them out of commission I went arse over tit on the final bit of chalk path - huge thanks to all who stopped to check I was alright. Bit of grazing and bruising but otherwise fine.

Big thanks as well to the lady in the blue top and the lady with the camelbak, both of whom provided welcome company and propped me up when the going was tough.

The first lady in the Picnic (in a Serpie vest) looked fresh as a daisy and had not a hair out of place. How do people do these things?

• Well done to all the runners that took part in todays race.

Chris I think  I might have spoken to you as you madeyour way back to the start. Iwas with my two boys, and wearing a England rugby shirt.  I hope it doesn'ttake too long for your calf  to heal.

Muttley, was you walking up the steps with a red headed woman in a bright green top. If you was that was my fiancee Tigeress. Sharon Nettleton. 

And a big thanks to Dr Rob and all the marshalls for making this awesome race possible. Hopefully next time we come back I will be running it.

• Blimey! What a day. I finished in just over 4 hours with calf and hamstrings going in and out of spasm on the final run home from the steps. That actually took me longer than running 14 miles up to the summit of a 10,000 foot mountain in Switzerland 2 years ago! Well at the back of the pack but that's ok; I'm just relieved to have finished it. Thanks to all the organisers. Good job!

• well done everyone. that was ridicously tough. unfortunately had to retire after 12miles, stomach bug and following cramps made it impossible for me to continue (absoluted gutted, will be going back to box hill soon to redo the race, earn the t-shirt).

big thanks to Dr Rob and all the marshalls

• Not that sore today, much to my surprise, ice baths must work. Finished in under three hours, around 02.51 I think, would have been faster but got jelly legs up the final stairs. I got worried after almost two hours when I hadn't seen any mile markers - I'm sure I read there were going to be mile markers from halfway - I thought to myself "Christ if I'm not halfway after 2 hours I'm really in trouble here!"

The marshalls were superb - except no one could pronounce my name image

• I'm well chuffed with a time of 3hrs 22mins, especially as the race was definitely closer to 17 miles & not 16 miles. Can only think that my training going up those bloody steps paid off image feeling a little sore & slow today but mobile & no injuries.

Still buzzing from the high, especially with a 12min mile average (managing closer to 13.5 in training) and a new 1 mile PB of 6m58s on mile 8.

Big thanks to the marshals, big thanks to the guys at the finish line, you kept me motivated when I really needed it!

Love the t-shirt, love the medal, love the food & drink laid on at the end, I will definitely be looking at doing this again in future years.

Not looking forward to what Dr. Robert has planned for the 10 year anniversary next year image
  • I'd like to thank the two guys who peeled me off the floor at around 6.5 miles when I tripped and fell heavily on my hand and knee, and also the various other runners and marshals who asked if I was ok and generally kept me going. I was the short girl in the red vest covered in mud!

I narrowly avoided having my photo taken by Dr Rob at the finish as I made my way to get cleaned up by the St John crew. They advised me to get my cuts properly washed out and after seeing a nurse today, I've now been told not to run for two weeks because of swelling and blood under my knee cap!

Despite this I'm already looking forward to next year when I hope to be able to stay upright and have a better crack at it image

• A fantastic run and an extra bonus to run part of the olympic bike track (I'll be able to bore people stupid with that one for the next few weeks), I chatted to a very nice lady going down one of the long hills but she lost me going up the next one (her son was going to Nigeria) it became much harder once she was goneimage. The run (stagger) up the final set of steps was excruciating and I questioned my sanity but I will be back next year to try the easier half marathon version image. Thanks to all the marshalls and especially the man in the Union Jack shorts who made it all possible.

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Thanks all... Good job all round. Working on the results... They will be up later (Monday morning latest).
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The results are up!

A bit concerned at the last placer - "in memoriam". Did something happen?

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Muttley, the chap who is memorium was due to run and had been allocated a number but tragically passed away a few weeks ago :0(.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Thanks for that, Happychap. Even in my confused post-race state I feel I would have noticed the commotion had something bad happened at the event.

A nice way of remembering the fellow who passed away though.

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

Race results now up on the web site... make sure you refresh your browser window (you might have to clear your cache to be able to see the new page with results)

Race video now up at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fIAVmULeq4&list=UU2vMHjQhS9-UG8I_4Y8UifA&index=1&feature=plcp

• Over the moon with 30th and first vet over 50, never run that far in my life. Once again a big thank you to all my fellow runners, especially the woman behind me who yelled "This way" after I'd taken a wrong turn with only a couple of miles to go - at that stage I was too tired to lift my head. Did a lot of people drop out? I thought there were over 260 entered but only about 180 are listed in the results. Anyway, well done to everyone, that was one race which certainly lived up to its billing.

• Bit disappointed some people didn't complete the whole course and skipped some of the up and down loops, I have no idea if the female that came in second actually took second place considering she 'got vertigo' and didnt do the steps the first time round, not excatly in the spirit of the race in my mind. Also running out of water at check points is not clever, being told to drink lucozade instead when I can't stomach the stuff was not very pleasent either. Shame really as I had heard only good reports about the event.

• I agree with Penny that running out of water wasn't ideal, but other than that the race was excellent!  I'm still suffering this morning with Oak like legs.  Penny, I'm 100% sure that the lady who came second (MM) completed all of the race (I even saw her running back up the steps on the first loop...and she definitely doesn't suffer from vertigo).  I think you might need to check your info first before making comments like that.

• Absolutley fanatstic. never thought I'd be so proud to get a sub 3 hour "half" marathon. When does entry for 2013 open?

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

The girl who suffered from vertigo, was no.124 - she is listed as coming 3rd on the results, a few seconds behind second place.

I was stood at the top of the steps throughout as a supporter.  Not a marshall or any part of the race.

I can confirm that she did not go down the steps for the first time.  She took about a dozen tentative steps then turned round and carried on.  On the way back, she did descend and ascend the steps.

It's not my place to comment as I have nothing to do with the organisation.  For all I know she may have reported to the race director which parts of the course she ran.  But I know for certain that she didn't run the same route as the others.

• I can't say if anyone missed out the steps, but one runner flew past me - on an uphill slope - a few miles from home with more energy than I found credible for that stage of such a demanding race. Maybe they were just very fit, it's possible I suppose.

• I would just like to say that I was the girl that came 2nd and Anne78 I am quite upset that you would write that I did not complete the whole of this course! The only part of the race that I missed was the start and I tried with every ounce of energy that I had to catch up to the rest of the field.

I absolutely love Dr Robs events and would never miss part of the course out! Well done for another fantastic event and even though I am walking like a penguin at the pace of a snail I will be back next year after the Knacker Cracker warm up!

• I apologise for the confusion over where the runner came who didn't go down the steps, congratluations on second place and to everyone who took part, its a tough event and I am more than happy to give credit where credit is due.

I guess at the end of the day, if some people didn't complete the full course they only cheated themselves. It's a well organised race, I don't have any complaints with that. My recommndations would be to ensure there is plenty of water at the check points and perhaps point out if you don't complete the full course its good sportsmanship to own up.

Apologies for any offence - none was meant.

• Carla - I don't believe Anne 78 was referring to you, I think she means the runner Dan A mentions in the post just above yours.

• I was a bit disappointed by my result, (3 hours 14 region) and that i didnt try harder in places where i think i could have. I could have tried a little bit of a jog up some of those hills i feel. But i just remember at the time, feeling exhausted by mile 3, and i became dehydrated very quickly. I could barely drive home too, my legs were in spasm, and my stomach kept cramping. Maybe Rob was right. Just completing it, is the achievement.

I have to say, it was probably the nicest bunch of runners i have shared a race with. Whether anyone didnt complete it i have no idea. At some points all i could think about was, finding the energy to raise my foot and climb another steep step.

• Bringing up the rear (almost) at 4hr 11m but still pleased with just finishing. Think I must have been one of the least fit people there, and probably should have been at least a stone lighter to think about doing this, but it was a beautiful course and I'm really glad I did it. Calf muscles currently like concrete. And not in a good way.

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

Sorry for running out of water in a couple of places, but the situation was slightly out of our hands... Lucozaid/GSK/courier failed to deliver a quarter of a tonne of lucozaid sports drinks on Friday as contracted, and again on Saturday by 1pm as promised 'due to a system failure.' Grrrr! We were badly let down by them, and they have apologised (but this didn't help us on the day!)

Queue a frantic dash by marshals - during the race - to go and buy up all the energy drinks in the local Tesco and to deliver them back to the halfway and final water station. Sorry that they were fizzy. We did try!

• Dr Robert wrote (see)

Sorry for running out of water in a couple of places, but the situation was slightly out of our hands... Lucozaid/GSK/courier failed to deliver a quarter of a tonne of lucozaid sports drinks on Friday as contracted, and again on Saturday by 1pm as promised 'due to a system failure.' Grrrr! We were badly let down by them, and they have apologised (but this didn't help us on the day!)

Queue a frantic dash by marshals - during the race - to go and buy up all the energy drinks in the local Tesco and to deliver them back to the halfway and final water station. Sorry that they were fizzy. We did try!

Dr. When will the photos be all done roughly, and can i purchase copies of them?

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭

That's all my photos up (I was too busy to take too many). However, I know that others are being processed and I will post up a link to them on the race web site when they are ready.

(On my post above it should be 'cue', not 'queue').

• Ghostrider wrote (see)
    Dr. When will the photos be all done roughly, and can i purchase copies of them?

Hi,

Dr Rob has posted a link to the photos I took on the website, but in case you've not seen that, or not had time/energy to look through them, I noticed you said you were wearing a yellow St Catherine's Hospice and I remembered seeing you on the stepping stones just before I left them to go the finish.

http://www.photoboxgallery.com/steveren/photo?photo_id=7532717431&vendor_id=3012522

You're looking knackered and leading a small group of equally knackered-looking people, but well done!

There was a lady with a DSLR and a monopod taking pictures at the finish, so she may have more, but I don't know.

• That's interesting (and a bit annoying) about the 3rd lady. I passed her as she was standing at the top of the steps but didn't remember her coming past me afterwards. I  did wonder how she'd got so far ahead the next time I saw her!

Carla - amazing that you were so late but still came second!!

• Steve. Thanks for the link. Your right, i do look knackered ha ha.. I hope my bloody hospice appreciated my effort!!! ha ha...

Well i am going to wear the t-shirt this morning that they gave us when i do my first post-race jog. I will show it off with pride....