Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• Stevan - straight 7.40s would give you just outside 3.20, so you would need pick up the pace a little to get under 3:20. However in my view, it is better to go off slow, and then speed up if you are able, than the other way round. I have done it both ways, like you, and the former is the more enjoyable way to finish.

Chillies - hope your mum-in-law is OK, and you managed to get some sleep.

Martin - glad you are taking it easy at last.

7 miles steady this morning. I was planning to do a 6 mile tempo as shown on my plan, however my right leg adductor was a little stiff this morning, so thought better not risk it. May do it later in the week instead.

• Stevan I totally agree with aching there. You're much better off running a negative split than going too fast, you will never make up the time in the first half that you lose second half. Pacing is EVERYTHING in marathon running IMO the most important decision you can make is your early pace which is why I'm in two minds about mine.

Aching I'm enjoying the easier running less stressful too the mind gets a rest as well as the body, legs felt a bit fresher this afternoon, still only ran 8miles in 6:59 but feeling better.

JJB had a closing down sale by us today it was carnage, bargains galore. I bought a pair of Nike Pegasus, two pairs of Adidas feather 2, two Nike tights, two Nike shorts, one Adidas shorts, two long sleeve Adidas tops six running socks, a pair of gloves (and a partridge in a pear tree). ??130 the lot, that'll set me up for a while!!!
  • BarryB I did the 5k in 18:21. First mile in 5:35 and 3rd mile in 6:15, guess which one is down the big hill and which one is back up the hill.

Good shopping MG15. I heard the stores were carnage in places but sounds like you snapped up some bargains.

I agree with the comments about pacing being paramount. I always try (and usually fail) to make my first mile the slowest of the race.. as long as it's not the quickest one.

10 miles tonight with 5 @ 6:40 pace... into a headwind.. so happy to get session done. A few easy days now.

• MG - bargain hunter! My best buy this year was a Musto fleece - I bought it online with a polo shirt which had all manner of loose stitching on it - I sent the shirt back and they refunded the whole order - FREE FLEECE!! 

Some seriously speedy talk on here now. I'm going to take what comes at Abo, because I don't think I can beat last year's 3:23. I'm thinking of running Windsor Half on Sunday at a reasonable pace, then go pretty much all out at Henley - I've run it 3 times, every time with quite a lot in reserve because it is the week before Abo. Then some extra rest the week leading up to the big one, and see what happens.

Also, having been computer-free for a month, I have just added up my mileage and my current Kayanos will have gone over 500 about 3 days before Abo - I have a new pair waiting for me - can't make up my mind what to do?

In other news, Mother in law is now in Hospital pretty much until we find a care home for her. Mrs C is greatly relieved and more importantly asleep!

• Chillies - Good news regarding your mother in law. If you are going to use your new shoes make sure you get at least one long run in them.

Martin -  Impressive shopping, I picked up(not bought) some of the Adidas Feathers a few weeks ago and they are incredibly light.

1.5 mile WU followed by 6 x 800's with 1 min rec 1 WD yesterday in the wind and rain,pace inbetween 6:10 and 6:22

• Hi all,

I'm marshalling again this year and really looking forward to seeing you super fast marathoners.imageI helped marshall 2 years ago and was positioned at the entrance to Milton Park so maybe there again?

Anyway hope all your training is going well and best of luck on the 21stimage

• Yey, I gt my race number. I'm so excited but also a bit nervous. I wont be the fastest and have only go up to 16.5 miles although I am going to do another long one this weekend. I managed that in 3.19 so should get to the 20m before the cut off.

Chillie's glad you are getting sorted with your Mother in Law. Great news about the free fleece too.

• Martin – what a bargain! Unfortunately no JJB shop near me.

TickTock – I agree about making your first mile the slowest, and usually failing. This is one advantage of running London, where you have no choice. Good speed into a headwind by the way.

Chillies – better news on your mother-in-law.  It’s always a tough decision on when to change trainers. I do all my training in Kayanos aswell.  You could always start running in the new pair now, rotating them with the old pair, and then you would have a choice at Abo, whether to go with the new ones, or use the older ones.

Barry – good quick 800reps in the wind and rain. It’s hard enough doing them when the weather is good.

Susiebe1 – many thanks. Without volunteers like you we would have no marathon to run.

Echytump – welcome, and yes only 2 1/2 weeks now.

11 miles slow for me this morning (av8.33), I am beginning to enjoy this taper thingyimage

Also my race number arrived this morning (No 359), cannot wait to get to the start line and let the fun beginimage

• Ha ha it's getting close now half a week into taper and my legs are feeling a bit fresher (all in the mindimage ).

Did a 12.5 today, 6 over a lump then had 6 flat which with the wind behind me I thought I would see if I could sustain MP. Splits where 6:42, 6:22, 6:23, 6:24, 6:19 and 6:35. Not very well paced but once I saw the times I just saw if I could sustain it and see if as usual I was shattered, surprisingly felt not too bad at the end so some sharpness is returning already. Another two and a half weeks and fingers crossed we'll be there.

Oh BTW keep an eye out for number 187 image
  • I would say look out for no 389 but I will be well in the background. image

• aw Eckyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy you wont be at the back!!! you are stargirl!!!!

• AC -  That's got to be the thread motto -  Abingdon 2012 - Let the fun begin.image

Martin -  Good speedy miles from you, glad to hear you're happier with them.

Susie -  Thanks for marshalling.

6 slow for me this afternoon, race no 846, thought my chip was missing then I spotted it.

• Yes can I echo what Barry says thanks in advance Susie for marshalling if it wasn't for the likes of you the likes of us couldn't run these races. I always try and say thanks on the way round but sometimes when your going through a bad patch I always come across grumpy lol.

Loulabell, no pressure thenimage
  • the marshalls at events are always amazing and agree with Martin and Barry,if not for them the events wouldnt happen.often the marshalls are out there many more hours than the runners in all weathers...im marshalling at Delapres duathalon in 2 weeks ,really looking forward to it-i think i may get very muddyimage

martin..yeah no pressure..i havnt tapered at all-im doing 30miles across the northdowns this Saturdayimage

• Loulabell- woah that is huge, good luck with it.

8 last night easy, legs pretty good after Sunday's 18 and a rest. Feet up again today, but I got bored half an hour ago and jogged 2 miles in a torrential downpour. planning 6 and a gentle 3 before Windsor half on Sunday, and probably the same sort of week (rest, 8, 2, 6, rest, 3) next week before Henley half. Haven't got a sensible plan for race week other than to try to avoid putting on weight!

Looks like mrs C has got a place in a care home locally for Mother in law - £750 per week basic, so the flat will have to be sold. Bang goes 25% of my planned pension image.

• Chillies we went through a similar situation with my nain, (dads dead too), she was in a shared room for a similar price it is a licence to print money shocking to think she worked her whole life and her life savings (house included) nigh on disappeared in 18 months. We were paying a fortune for haircuts, tights toothbrushes etc and they never even bothered doin her hair or anything. Scandalous situation but what can you do??

Are you racing the week before Abo? I have a 10k planned which is in our club champs so with two weeks of taper in my legs it'll be interesting to see where I am compared to this time last year!!
  • Man-flu has meant I've been doing a pre-taper taper.image  No running for 10 whole days.  Managed a 20 mile run on Sunday.  I've noticed the lack of consistent mileage in the fatigue lingering longer in the legs than usual.

Not really sure how to play it from here on in.  Got a 10k this Sunday.  Don't want to risk injury by doing too much, or go backwards by tapering as if I've been running normally over the last couple of weeks.

Will just have to proceed with caution!

Hope everyone's enjoying the slow-down and getting wrapped in cotton woolimage 

• Same for me, Luvsa - no training at all last week thanks to a virus. Trying to pick it up again this week, but not entirely sure how much to do at this stage. Bah.

• MG15 - it is shocking - one of our friends went round the place with Mrs C today - she is an architect who has worked in valuations of care homes, hotels, etc - she reckons this place is as good as it gets, but profit levels in the sector are absolutely huge. It does feel like those who have worked hard, paid taxes all their lives, and saved get it taken away in the end. I suppose someone's got to pay to keep the state running in a civilised, equitable way. But that's enough politics image

Racing this weekend and next (halfs) - unlike Loulabell's bonkers hilly 30 miler this weekend! I was 2 minutes slower than expected at Windsor last year (did 1:38:xx) and that will do me just fine, as will the same at Henley next Sunday. The remaining days will all be rest or short easy runs, although I might bazz round 3 miles at HM pace on the Saturdays. Good luck with the 10K - are you going at it full on?

• Diagnosis received ...IlioSacral Joint problem - Physio diagnosed, worked on and so fingers crossed all is not lost - off to trot now, let's see...

• Peter Collins wrote (see)

Same for me, Luvsa - no training at all last week thanks to a virus. Trying to pick it up again this week, but not entirely sure how much to do at this stage. Bah.

i have a rubbish cold too PC...image

• LuvsaPB wrote (see)

Hope everyone's enjoying the slow-down and getting wrapped in cotton woolimage 

...am i the only one going in reverse and going UP in miles and not taper down?????image

• Loula?............ Bonkers ?.................... yep image She is ace though and part of the CRAC team (Cake Runners AC)

Chillies I completely agree.Its terrible. My Uncle has alzheimer's and has had to have his home and all his belongings sold to pay for his care home.Its a huge amount of money and for very little.

Ooh Im so excited now and sooooo nervous.

Thanks too to all the Marshal's. I will Thank you on the day if you have not all gone home by the time I get there image

•  

If anyone fancies taking part there's a mileage challenge against the Fetchies, me and Loulabell  are taking part.

Barry, only just saw this froma  few pages back!! oops sorry for not replying! yes, everyone keep adding to RW mileage challenge-hopefully Saturday i can add a good amount to itimage

• ok had a quick look-we need some miles on the RW chart!!

• Eckytump. wrote (see)

Loula?............ Bonkers ?.................... yep image 

only on a Sundayimage

• and Ecks the marshalls will still be there and all smiley for you! you are gonna be fine!!

• Must be getting close to race day, we are top of the hot thread section just to the left of this page!!

Taking my first rest day in 19 today, I'll be chomping at the bit come tea time lol but got my long(ish) run tomorrow (17) so want to hit that as fresh as I can be, more for a confidence boost than anything else.

Chillies re the 10k is there any other way than eyeballs outimage apparently they say you need a day recovery for every mile raced so that should put me in tip top condition for the 21st.

Won't be long till we're frantically searching the 14 day weather forecast, I've already looked at the long distance one which is showing high pressure which allegedly means low wind image
  • Here is my weather forecaster of choice - could be worse!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/abingdon/ox14-5/daily-weather-forecast/325345?day=18

Sore foot has meant a light couple of weeks so ready to inverse taper now - last 20 tomorrow and then it's all short sharp stuff! Number arrived yesterday, ominously I've been given 313...which is 12s outside my PB. Would have hoped for number 259.....

Stay safe everybodyimage