Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• Hi PH. Thanks for taking a look. I am not a natural athlete and I just wanted to have a bit of fun with it and show others that they can do it too and be a daft bugger like me.

Just look for the C.R.A.C team accompanied by a big pile of Cakes.image

• Rob  - If I pull off the M4 at J11 and head towards Reading on the A33, there is a round building on the left with a lake in front of it (only about 200m from the motorway)- I can pick you up in front of that at  some time close to 7.30? message me with your phone number might be an idea

• Treadmill today 3 miles at MP sandwiched between a mile warm up/down, circuits tonight. Not much else to add lol getting excited now tho and today's run (as it should) felt really easy! No more caffeine after tonight (boo) and a day before carb loading (hooray).
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Good luck and pb wishes to all who are running on Sunday. If you haven't run it before - prepare for the subway mountain around mile 23! image

Might see you all again next year (if I am not marathoned out after VLM).

• Chillies -   Good racing at the weekend and congrats on the course PB.

Martin -  Nice 10K, that is quick.

Keir -  Cheers for the good wishes.  How's the running/cycling going?

3 miles recovery yesterday, 10 x 200 reps today, having my tooth hopefully sorted out tomorrow so no running probably, maybe 4 to 5 miles thursday and that will be it for me til Sunday.  I'll update the list later.

• Barry - had my fillings done today - no anaesthetic for me, so I got an "I've been brave" sticker.

Just popping out for a 4 mile bimble - a little bit of stiffness in whatever the muscles on the outside of the shins are called, so hopefully I'll shake that out over a couple of short easy runs.

• NumberName               Wearing                                   Target
    187       MG15                Black vest,shorts and socks          2:50
    844       TickTock           Orange vest/grey shorts                2:57
    ???        Postie                Navy vest, blue/grey shorts         3:00
    141       Chillies FB         Red/Black vest                           3:30
    810       Joe Peacook      white & blue caerleon vest          3:58
    107       SR3                   yellow stragglers vest                 3:58
    389       EckyThump        CRAC vest                                  4:30
    294       WarrenK78       Black vest yellow/red hoops        2:59
    359       Aching Calves   Red Braintree AC vest,Black shorts 3.20
    994       Dart More          White/purple/blue Erme Valley vest 2.50
    306       Possum              Orange cap/black beanie?          3:59
    846       Barry B              White vest, black shorts              3:15

• I think i've got everyone on the list with the correct detail,  apologies  if not.  Best way to spot me though will be blue KT tape down my right shin.

• 6 miles for me today with 1 mile at marathon pace. Rest tomorrow then 4 on Thursday, 3 on Friday and rest on Saturday. Also looking forward to carbo loading soon but have stuffed my face with rice and chicken curry so maybe carbo loading has sort of started already image

• Anterior Tibialis CFB... I know this cos mine was really sore in March!

Hey Keir! Long time no see. Hope you are well.

Good luck to you all on Sunday. I've had to pull out I'm afraid with a grizzly case of plantar fasciitis. image I'll track your reports over the weekend though so "AVIT", "don't be shit" and "do the thread proud" etc

Don't overdo the carbo- loading - always seems to slow me down ?!

Good luck!
  • Just had a good read back, nice HM from you Barry a couple of weeks ago, real turn around from a few months ago, things looking good. Also a much better showing from AC and Chillies, was watching some of the Henley half Sunday near the bridge, shame i didnt know about the red black vest as would have cheered you on!

Would have expected nothing else from your 10k Martin! Everyone seems to be going well with some good and hopefully achievable goals for Sunday! Haven't looked at the weather yet, just no strong winds please..

• I wonder what everyone thinks of doing a circuits class on Weds. Its a tough one as its one of those Boot camp type thingys. I am thinking of maybe giving it a miss as Im not sure if it will hinder me on Sun. I also run a Running club on Thurs so have to run that too and cant get out of it.

• Sorry to hear that Slokeyjoe, hope you still do the carb loading at least, always makes me feel better image

NumberName               Wearing                                   Target                       187       MG15                Black vest,shorts and socks          2:50                           844     TickTock            Orange vest/grey shorts                 2:57             ???      Postie                Navy vest, blue/grey shorts           3:00                      141      Chillies FB         Red/Black vest                              3:30                      810      Joe Peacook      white & blue caerleon vest            3:58                     107       SR3                   yellow stragglers vest                     3:58                      389      EckyThump       CRAC vest                                        4:30                       294       WarrenK78       Black vest yellow/red hoops                2:59                      359        Aching Calves   Red Braintree AC vest,Black shorts    3.20                994       Dart More       &

• that didnt come out right imageimage  462 meemeep  wargrave top/vest  3:10

• NumberName               Wearing                                   Target
    187       MG15                Black vest,shorts and socks          2:50
    844       TickTock           Orange vest/grey shorts                2:57
    ???        Postie                Navy vest, blue/grey shorts         3:00
    141       Chillies FB         Red/Black vest                           3:30
    810       Joe Peacook      white & blue caerleon vest          3:58
    107       SR3                   yellow stragglers vest                 3:58
    389       EckyThump        CRAC vest                                  4:30
    294       WarrenK78       Black vest yellow/red hoops        2:59
    359       Aching Calves   Red Braintree AC vest,Black shorts 3.20
    994       Dart More          White/purple/blue Erme Valley vest 2.50
    462       MeeMeep          wargrave top/vest                      3:10

• Rob Phillips - there's a reply in your inbox

4 miles went very nicely @ 9:05/mile - the bits of my legs that don't ache from Sunday feel very good image

• 608 and will be hitching a lift on the 3:15 London 2014 GFA train... like Barry B who will be in the same carriage easily recognisable with a left knee brace!
  • Eckytump I went to circuits tonight, but what you want to think about is there will be no fitness benefits whatsoever gained this week. It is purely about recovery you can only do damage. If you're worried give it a miss and put your mind at rest. The only reason I went was to maybe drop a pound before the inevitable weight gain due to carb loading. Funnily enough despite my high mileage I really have to watch my weight image
  • Thanks Martin. I probably would be better giving it a miss. I have to watch my weight now as I seem to overcompensate for my mileage.

• Ecky

can i politely ask - just how expereinced a marathoner are u

• Ok, we all have or had a first one

a few days to go - arrive at the start fresh, relaxed,  and injury free

do a little over the coming days, but not a lot, just to keep the mind and body flowing

you cannot do anything between now and Sunday about your physical fitness, but u can prepare well, rest well, eat, drink and sleep well

and keep a relaxed mind, and try and build on physcological mind tactics

come sunday, go gently with the flow, forgwt what the experienced or elite runners are doing - they are used to it all

ease into the 26 miles bit by bit, taking on all drinks - between now and race day stick to what you know food and drink wise

i'll be around if u want to chat, as will many others who no doubt will happily be around for advice

Have a great run - and enjoy it, relaxed and enjoying it, ( but not getting carried away ) and you'll be suprised how the body wil flow and perform

• Ecky - everything Mick says there is perfect, and very calming for me as well, thanks Mick image

Something I found helpful when I did my best marathon was, at the 2 mile marker, to start clicking off 4% every mile marker - "80% done" sounds a lot better than "5.2 miles to go" when you get to 21 miles.

Ther will be lots of people around you who will keep you going, and there will be people who will appreciate a few words of encouragement.

Finally, remember why you are doing it - because you want to, and because you can.

• Oh , and MG15 - I have the same issue with weight - but only because the more I run the more bloody biscuits I eat. That and the love of apple based alcoholic beverages, which also increases with mileage image

• Short but sharp hill session last night with my club (one more easy run on Thursday and that is it before Sunday). Really looking forward to Sunday as it has been over a year since my last marathon (only my 3rd).

Great advice from you all above - we really are lucky to be able to rock up to the start line in good health, ready to run. Run for all those who can't.

Hope to see some of you there - I may take the list en route as I certainly won't remember all the detail image

187       MG15                Black vest,shorts and socks          2:50
    844       TickTock           Orange vest/grey shorts                2:57
    ???        Postie                Navy vest, blue/grey shorts         3:00
    141       Chillies FB         Red/Black vest                           3:30
    810       Joe Peacook      white & blue caerleon vest          3:58
    107       SR3                   yellow stragglers vest                 3:58
    389       EckyThump        CRAC vest                                  4:30
    294       WarrenK78       Black vest yellow/red hoops        2:59
    359       Aching Calves   Red Braintree AC vest,Black shorts 3.20
    994       Dart More          White/purple/blue Erme Valley vest 2.50
    462       MeeMeep          wargrave top/vest                      3:10
    183       Stevan Jones     Southville Green top/vest          3.22

• Caf - many thanks for the pointer to the map, much better than anything I could find and invaluable to guide the family to a viewing point.

• Thanks all for the brilliant advice. I like the idea of the percentage of what I have done as thats my worst thing,thinking how far I still have to go.

• Eckytump - I'm in the same boat. It's my first marathon and I'm expecting somewhere between 4h30 and 5h. I'm planning a run-walk strategy as my last few weeks training haven't gone well and I'm coming in to the race feeling unprepared and a little out of condition. I'm sure we'll both be fine.

A couple of general questions for those who have done the race before. Sorry if they've been covered elsewhere:

Is the water on course in cups or bottles?

Are there toilets on course or are the roadsides conducive with a little scamper off for a wee in the bushes?

Thanks. BTW I'm number 755. See you all there.

• Steve  -  Water/squash in cups last year lucozade in bottles at mile 13 and 21 ish.  No toilets on the course but plenty of opportunity for a unplanned stop.

• Steve,

99% certain it's water in cups.

No "official" toilets on course.

If you are pushing five hours you will see me at the back in a big white minibus keeping you company and chivvying you along.  Safety reasons as well as it can get lonely in Milton Park!