Six Nations 2012

Comments

• Ooh la la image

I bet both teams are disappointed, maybe Ireland deserved to win that one. I was so nervous about France I was actually hoovering for large parts of that game! Can't uderstand why France are so slow to get started, think England will stuff them image

• I was going to forecast a draw.

But I didnt.

And I didnt even get the hoovering done ...

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

That was a very enjoyable draw for a neutral (who was cheering when Ireland scored, sorry, LN).  It was a good game, even though some of the play was dreadful.  It was good because it was exciting, playful, and tense.

There was a reason I was cheering for Ireland.  I figure that France with a chance of a GS would be France on a mission.  France after the Championship, well, it doesn't quite have that, 'ow you say, cachet?

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    Wales have lost their first choice captain again, and the second choice is on the bench - which means we have a first choice (nearly) second row. And we've got a Lions' hooker! Jamie Roberts decided to be fit. Tipuric replacing Warburton.

So, didn't do too well with my predictions last time. But I rate Wales by 15+. Ireland and France by 5+. I won't rate Ireland higher because of injuries, and France still don't look like a together team, but they have teeth in attack which England still don't. Plus both do have home advantage.

Hmm, might pop into Cardiff on Sat. No point watching in the Stadium for this one but tickets will be cheap after the kickoff. And the hospitality in the Italian restaurants is fabulous!
  • I don't think Wales will miss Breadman that much especially against Italy and it's nice to see the Lions front row back together for the 1st time in a long time - dog help the Eyetie front row who are good but they're now up against probably one of the world's best.

I enjoyed Ireland v France although as a game it fell short in many ways - a fair result and thank you Ireland for leaving our door open as the only team who can win the GS.

England/France is the pick of this weekend's games - frankly it could go either way. And sadly Scotland head closer to another defeat - will Robinson survive?? He's not done a bad job but I suspect the Scots will demand more and he might have to fall on his sword - perhaps a return to the England setup??
  • Scotland are so close to having a good game so maybe they can beat Ireland. Or they may just be saving themselves to beat Italy and avoid the wooden spoon.

Wales should easily beat Italy, could be a real thumping.

I have a nasty feeling that England will beat France. They seem v. disorganised as a team and I can't believe PSA isn't dropping anyone, especially Rougerie who was awful.

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    LN, completely agree with you on Rougerie.  He should be out of the squad based on the last game.
  • Bergamasco's back! I've missed his mad curly hair and his slightly unhinged way of playing image

Good luck with the kicking, Mirco!

• I'm surprised that they stuck with Rougerie yet dropped Parra and Trinh-Duc. OK the backline didn't shine at all but to stick the blame entirely on the half backs seems a little harsh. and Poitrenaud looked well out of his depth - Medard is badly missed I think.

in fact France haven't looked the team they were last season and nothing like the side that made the WC final (although there was a fair bit of luck there as well!).

funny old game
  • Rougerie did not play well, But I think a bigger factor was the french half backs were not able to react to the Irish defence. the irish were up very quickly all afternoon. It looked  like a tactic they had decided would work against the French, and it did. So with French halfbacks looping out to slow ball to deep lying centres the French were in trouble on their own ball at times.

• How much hair has Castrogiovanni got?!? image

• The style for props these days is for short hair. Perhaps Matin is trying to even things out.

Was funny last week when he was in the studio with Keith Wood. Like a meeting of the Addams family where uncle fester and Cousin Itt get to talk about the ball game.

• Little Nemo - waving, not drowning! wrote (see)
    How much hair has Castrogiovanni got?!? image

Looks like a giant teddy bear. image

I've been watching & ironing. Maybe I had the balance wrong, I've ironed one finger as well as the shirt. imageimageimage

• So far this thread has had ironing and hoovering while watching rugby.

Less of the sterotypes, please sweeties. Grab a can and sprawl out on the sofa.

• sory, just fininshing the washing up. Did I miss anything?   image
  • Jonathan Davis (pundit not player) - shut the *&%^ up!  You one-eyed, whinging, squeaky voiced muppet. Don't defend yet another yellow card by your bloody team and DON'T have a go at Mirco like that image

I may have shattered some stereotypes there, bos1 image

For what it is worth I agree with you.

Italy not getting the bounce of the ball. Very good performance by the team in blue.

• They've defended like maniacs but they just never look as though they're going to score a try sadly image
  • This is a much better game image

I quite like Richie Grey image

• Very different match to the last one

If it's confession time, is it wrong that I still have a sweet spot for Keith Wood? Nope, can't even begin to explain it. image

• Workaday win for Wales but not a game - or performance - that will live long in the memory.

Italy defended very well, but I thought Wales kept trying to bring their strike runners into play too quickly, rather than using the forwards to gain ground and tie-in the Italian defenders first.

Still, 24 - 3 is pretty comprehensive and we've come a very long way since last year's 6 Nations.

Ireland played very well again. Considering how good they can be, it must be very frustrating for their fans that they lose games they really should have won (e.g. France last week.)

One thing in Wales' favour next Saturday is that France will have played 3 tough internationals in 3 weeks so will maybe feel the pace in the last 20 minutes, when Wales usually start to get on top.
  • Next weeks game will be like a boxing match, first 50/60 mins try a few hits from the right /left , then a few upper cuts maybe try a few head on smashs ,wear them down, wear them down some more , and then finish them off in the last ten mins, giving them little time to re-cover.

Anyway thats how i hope it goes Wales to win.

P.S. fingers Xed

• France were v. disappointing yesterday, no idea why they were kicking so much. They looked better ball in hand but (much as it pains me to say it!) England were more adventurous and deserved to win. It wouldn't have been right if France had snatched it at the end. I hope this isn't a sign of the next 4 years and that PSA can get the team playing better next week. Really couldn't stand another period like the early 90s for France image

So, congratulations to Wales as barring some sort of mathematical catastrophe you've won the Championship.

England/France/Ireland vying for 2nd-4th with England looking the most likely to get 2nd. Although just to keep the Inverdale smugness at bay I'm hoping France manage to sneak it image

Scotland and Italy battling to avoid the wooden spoon, not sure who is going to win. Scotland have showed more attack but the Italian defence has been pretty good at least for the first 40 mins or so. Maybe another draw would be the fairest result.

• I bloody well missed the Wales game as we had a problem with our motorhome which needed my urgent attention seeing as we need it to go skiing later this week...image   but it doesn't sound as if I missed much - a W will do.   and unless we lose to France and England win by a huge margin against Ireland, I think we have the 6N title if not the Grand Slam - let's hope we get the GS as well!!

I was quite impressed by England - but yet again France were a poor shadow of their former selves.  I'm not entirely sure what's going wrong with France but Poitrenaud looks way out of his depth now and the backs generally aren't on song. I think England are a team for the future though so I can see some interesting Wales v England battles in the next few years with the relative youth of many of the players.

• Lancaster has done a good job with a new and relatively inexperienced team, they have a really good spirit about them. Apart from Ashton who seems a bit mardy! But maybe that's just because he has a fat face image

Actually looking at the points difference I don't think France can make 2nd after all image

• Nicely done, England! Nice to see the team improving game on game, though I had to get up at one stage, brushed past the telly and Mouritz Botha fell over...

What on Earth was Alain Rolland doing?

And what would make the RFU think that anyone else could do a better job than Stuart Lancaster?

Didn't see anything of Saturday's games, but it's looking good for Wales and the Grand Slam! I thought they'd find it hard to reproduce their World Cup form (which wasn't that good in terms of results, but was excellent in terms of performances) in the 6N but they've done brilliantly to not slip too far off their peak; certainly good enough to see off France and win the GS.

• "What on Earth was Alain Rolland doing?"

I think he was polishing his halo. He seems to think now that he is above the laws and is making them up as he goes along.

If the RFU give the job to anyone other than Lancaster, they would be doing the man a great disservice - he deserves to be given the reins on results so far.

I shall be sat in a bar in the Alps taking in the grand slam decider - a nice days skiing, followed by a good game and few beers. and my birthday. what more can a Welshman want?? OK - a lottery win would help but that's unlikely as I don't do it! image