Six Nations 2012

1235»

Comments

• Right, in brief

At last, an England performance I enjoyed watching and which gives me some hope for the future.

Good to see the Welsh players looking disappointed with the win - they know they should have done more.

And I too enjoy watching Richie Grey,  because he's coming to Sale next season image 

• RIP Merv the Swerve, on the eve of Wales' Grand Slam.  Hopefully, and I speak as an Englishman.

What a player

• RIP Mervyn.

A genuinely great player for Wales and the Lions (and arguably Wales' finest ever captain) who redefined No.8 play in the '70's and who was the equal of any of the celebrated backs in that team.

I met him a couple of times in the early '80's when he was working as a "rep" in the Swansea area and he was a very nice, genuine bloke too.

I read his autobiography recently and it's a very interesting read, particularly his struggle to come to terms with his enforced retirement and disability, which came out of the blue when he was at the peak of his rugby career.

I'll always remember his outstanding performance in his final international - captaining Wales against France in the Grand Slam decider in 1976. The French pack singled him out for "attention" that day (and in the '70's players could get away with "rough stuff" that would lead to a 6 month ban nowadays)but although injured he refused to leave the field and led Wales from the front to victory.
  • Maybe it's an age thing, but for me the Wales team of the 1970s will always be the pinnacle of rugby and how it should be played. Mervyn Davies was very much a leader in that side.
  • Also arguably the most remarkable "rags to riches" story in sport: playing for Old Guildfordians in September 1968 - picked for Wales against Scotland in the 5 Nations in the following January !
  • Phew, just made it back in time!

Good luck to all the teams image Happy Birthday, FB!

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!! image

• Alain Rolland's having another good game

• How many people has he sent off? image
  • That was a proper bottom of the table scrap with the emphasis on the crap. Scotland didn't deserve to win, yellow cards or no.

Despite England having a chance of winning the title, I still hope Wales win the Grand Slam.

Wonderful to hear the voice of Bill McLaren on all these clips of the great Welsh team of the 70s featuring Merv.

• Well that was a pretty dreadful game but Italy deserved it as at least they tried to play. It's just as well Burton got that drop goal because he was awful up until that point.

I'm too young to remember Merv but I agree Yeo, it was lovely to see old-fashioned rugby and hear Bill McLaren's commentary.

• All commentators should be required to deliver their commentary in the style of Bill McLaren
  • Still some way to go. Les Bleus are still there
  • Well done Wales.

Disappointed in France, just the occasional glimpse of what they used to be. Back to the drawing board I think, maybe time to get rid of some of the older players and give chances to new ones.

• England:  early reversion to type and start eye-gouging. Perhaps they should just play rugby.
  • I didn't see the gouging, but the Irish were pretty insistent about it.  I hope the cameras picked it up so the bastard can be dealt with.

I still want England to win though.

• Really? image

Lost heart in the rugby, was off doing laundry.

• Evening image

Please can someone explain to me what on earth a 'penalty try' is please?

Fank u

• In both rugby league and in rugby union, if the referee believes that a try has been prevented by the defending team's misconduct, he may award the attacking team a penalty try. Penalty tries are always awarded under the posts regardless of where the offence took place. In rugby union, the standard applied by the referee is that a try "probably" would have been scored. The referee does not have to be certain a try would have been scored

nicked from wikipedia

• Why is the Ireland scrum struggling so much?
  • Good performance by England, surely Lancaster should get the job?

Ireland and France have been disappointing in this championship and played badly today.

Scotland started off well but maybe were dispirited at losing close games and finished badly.

Italy fought well and deserved a win at the end even though they struggle to get tries.

Wales the best team overall. 3 GS in 8 years, that's impressive image

Please let France discover some of their old flair by next year!!!

• France showed flashes of what they're capable of again yesterday. When they up the tempo they are very, very dangerous and there were a few nail biting moments in the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half when I thought they would score.

Great to see a Welsh Grand Slam and unlike 2005 and 2008, this time I think we've got a squad to sustain it. This summer's tour to Australia will be a huge test - win or draw that series and we really will be on our way.

As a Welshman, England would be insane not to give the job to Stuart Lancaster permanently as he is building a potentially outstanding team and I'm already looking forward to Wales vs. England next season !

There's been some very exciting matches in the last 2 months - shame it's all over.
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

I have to agree with everything DJ39 said, though I think that a series loss with a test win downunder would be enough.  It is a three test tour.  That said, only a win at home against the same opposition in the Autumn series would do.

I think this tournament showed us that defence is key to forcing a tight game, but that the team that can maintain the pressure will come through on top.  In the nineties Wales only had a 60 minute game, so an era was built on trying to score points quickly.  This Welsh team appears to have the solidity and the fitness to grind out a victory, combined with the necessary psychology for it.  But the game is becoming so professional that the teams are all probably much closer than the results show, as close as the results of Ire v Wal, Fra v Eng, Sco v Eng, Wal v Fra and Eng v Wal display.  Even Wales v Scotland and Italy were supposed to be walkovers, but pundits weren't excited by the final scores.  I think it's time that the pitches were widened, or those stupid rucks that you aren't allowed to compete were outlawed.  Scrum halves could walk off the pitch and have a cup of tea and an orange segment before having to pass the ball out.  If the ruck was opened up to greater competition, we'd have a full pack competing it and only the backs outside defending the width of the pitch.  That would be exciting.

I loved Ireland v Wales.  My match of the tournament.  Post-match commentary aside, of course...