How Hard Would this Be?

Comments

• impressed that you are really working on this one......image

• jeezus DF3 - do you have to pollute every frigging thread with some inane post?  is it like some OCD that you have??  

and even worse - you pollute it with inane shit from the Daily Rant...

• As it happens Pippa used one of the coaches that teach me roller skiing.  She did 2.48.  Her brother did 2.15 he skied the first 10k in 35mins and the second 10k  7 of which are up and down hill through the woods and narrow making up 1500 places in that section?  his last 10k was the fastest?  Quite a performance.

FB, yes I skated.  I'm looking at the Dolomitenlauf 60k and TJ 54k for next year but it depends on funds.

I now have to turn my attention to this years Comrades...and I haven't run for three weeks.

• JB: Comrades is just a long walk for a lot of middle aged men & anyway it's still 11 weeks away, you will be fine
  • Zero to Comrades in 11 weeks, I've put one 35 mile week together since Christmas...I'm a bit stess fracture prone, June 2nd.  Ah well it's all an experiment.

• hmm - you've got me thinking now JB that I really need to tick one of these loppets off my bucket list - the Vasa has been there in the background for far too long.....

I see a 2014/15 plan - I shall commune with t'other half while we're in the Alps next week.  I know she's keen to get doing a bit more XC skiing so could well up for it.

dog - more kit to buy.......  image

• Choose your race carefully FB, some of the mass participation events like the Vasa are so big that you can get held up at bottle necks.  On the Engadin I had a 6min wait to get up a short hill, one of my group was not so lucky and got stuck there for 20mins. 

On the the other hand I raced the Koasalauf in February and within 500m of the start I was alone, I caught a few people on a hill but basicly it was a time trial from then on and I blew at 10k with 18k to go.  I finished but I was f**^%d by the time I crossed the line and almost last.  The smaller races are more competative and you can find yourself alone fairly quickly. 

In the Engadin you get locals who turn up for a laugh on the day, there were so many spills I really had to keep my wits about me, there were broken ski poles all over the trail.  People suddenly stop in front of you to talk to their supporters that sort of thing.

On the subject of kit, tell me about it, I invested in a jacket and pants for this year because it was cold last year.  In the race it was so warm I wore cycling bib tights, an omm base layer the thinest socks I had and no hat.  I'm not buying a skin suit unless I shift a couple of stone.image

• yeh - I guess the bigger ones can be like VLM or L2B bike ride where slower people just get in the way.   

we did a race on our 1st ever XC week in Autrans in France (near Grenoble)  - 5 days of learning and then into a 10k race (the Foulee Blanche). we chose classic for that (we'd only done 2 days of skating so knew classic would be easier).  once the start was out of the way it opened up nicely with no bottlenecks at all.  

will think on but let's go get some alpine skiing done first...image 

• Time to talk tri!  Clip on bars?  I had a word with my LBS (at least they were when I bought the bike) they stock Profile and mentioned the legacy range among others.  Any good?  One position or 3?  Is it worth buying the bottle to go with them? 

Neoprene swim hats.  Can I just order one or is it something I should really try on first- my open water swim sessions start Saturday week.

• Profile do a good range of clip on bars so you won't go far wrong with them. 3 position just offers more variety of setup.

Style - your call really.  I like S shaped ones and have the T2 Plus versions, rather than bullhorn type.

Neoprene caps - much like a very thick swim cap - perhaps worth a try before buying as not everyone gets on with a chinstrap. I've never bothered and just use 2 thickish latex ones when the water's very cold.

• Do tri bars tend to be like saddles where you either get on with them or you don't?  I had a look at the T2's on Wiggle, the T'3 dips down and then comes up=what's the idea behind that FB?

I've got a couple of swim hats so if I get through the first week it's only going to get warmer I suppose so I'll try that first FB.  They put the start off a week on account of the temp still being a bit low.

• to an extent tribars are a bit like saddles - you have to try a pair and see how you get on with them.

I used to have the bullhorn type but found that I wasn't using the up part of it and preferred to have my hands on the flat section - just found that more comfy.  I decided to swap and had 2 choices really - completely flat or S shape - and decided on S shape as a compromise.  happy so far.  I also have thumbshifters btw.

• Thanks for that FB, perhaps they'll let me sit on a few bikes and see how the bars feel.

• Dont get Tribars and saddles mixed up, could cause problems image

• jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭

Indeed.  LBS were very helpful.  Didn't have a large range but stuck a second hand set of profile legacy bars on the bike and said try those for a few weeks and see what suits.  No charge.  They'll order in what ever I feel I need after that. Result.

Started open water swimming on Saturday and found it less tiring than the pool?  Is that normal?  Also my legs are much higher in the water which means I'm kicking out of the water but I think I've got round this by kicking with the lower leg when I'm on my side, if that makes sense?  I suspect that's what I'm supposed to be doing.

Two swim hats were fine FB.  The water was just under 15c which didn't seem all that cold.  When I got out people were standing around shaking.....I suspect I have more fat than I thought.

Questio.  If I don't go the route of the med cert for a tri in France what sort of affiliation would I need in order to start the race?

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

JB - don't sweat about the kick in a wetsuit - just let the legs float behind you (they'll be supported by the wetsuit) and just flutter kick from time to time for balance.   a lot of people struggle with kicking in wetsuit as you don't have as much flexibility than without so the easiest solution is just to focus on the upper body and stroke.  works for a lot of us.

but yes, you will find OW less tiring in many ways due to the extra flotation of the wettie and the fact you don't need to faff with walls getting in the way so you relax more.

BTF membership will cover you medically for racing in France provided the French race is affiliated to French Tri (http://www.fftri.com/) - there's a reciprocal agreement for this across European Triathlon.  you just need to show them your BTF card at registration and of course when you enter, tick the relevant box.

Thanks FB I'll look into it I didn't enter myself so no idea what was on the entry form.

Right!  I can manage 3 swims a week and one is open water in a lake.  Pool swims can be up to 90 mins.  My 3.8 comes up on August 25th how can I bestmake use of the time?

• 50*100m FC on 10sec rest?

Seriously what are you worreid about endurance, speed, drowning?

Lake - if 400m laps then just do as many as you can with a 30-sec rest at the end of each. That is the endurance leg sorted out.

Pool: swimming drills and then various sets including no-ones favorite at the top.

m..eface, The lake laps are 950m, I managed 3 laps in 1.18 last Saturday on my second ow swim, not incredible but I'm fairly confident based on that that I can manage 3.8k inside the 2hr cut off.

However.  The 10k swim has a 3.5hr cut off, that's about 6mins per k faster than I swim now.  I'm thinking maybe consolidate the lake swims and aim to be doing 5-6 laps by the end of July and I will be fine for my long course in Aug, but I need to be working to get faster for the 10k.

That leaves 2 pool swims per week so rather than just swim up and down for 60-90mins I'd like to do something structured to get faster.  10k cut off pace is around 1.20 for 3.8k. So starting on June 10th-what sets and how do I progress them between then and the end of Aug?

Thanks

• TJ done. One down.

• Jb, I have just read through this thread, hats off to you, it sounds like a great experience, fair play to you for attempting this, I really hope your hard work pays off. So how did the XC go?

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Which 10K swim are you doing?

• Wow. This is commitment! Congrats.  Can't wait to hear how this year goes.

what was your time?  

(Back from a xc skiing holiday...prob didn't go all out like you have just done!) 

• How did the xc ski go? ....badly, the wheels came off after about 20k leaving 48k to go, after half way you drop down into another valley and there was a 40-60k headwind I've not experienced grinding to a halt going down hill before, it was all on fresh snow which is not ideal but it's done, took over 9 hours but it's done and I only had to finish.  To put it into perspective 3 weeks before I took part in a 42k and finished in 3hr29, that pace would have seen me finish in 5h40.  Conditions make a big difference.

Snap, 10k will be at Dorney in June unless I find something else.

• conditions in all sports can make it a different challenge totally.. well done

• Jelly bean - sounds a tough day...but you did it. I think many many others may not have done.

i, for one, am mightily impressed. 

(But then I am also impressed by booking.com's new adverts, so that may temper things slightly). 

• It was a tough day, I'm now trying to reconcile a schedule for the rest. 

I've not seen those ad's but I will look out for them now

Update

Qualified for Comrades at Stratford on 26th April which was my last chance, running has been a bit limited after straining one calf in Jan and the other in March, up until a week before race the longest run done this year was 5.6m until 2 days before when I ran 9m to test my shoes....I know.  I ran 4.03 off that with a negative split and ran all the way.  I'd expected to be walking from early on.  Where did that come from?  I was sore for a few days.

I completed the qualifiers for Paris-Brest-Paris yesterday, with a 600k ride following on from a 400k the previous weekend.  Not ideal but it was that or do the 600k next week a week before Comrades.  Strangely I was in better shape at the end of the 6 than the 4 although my arse was not.

My 10k swim is in trouble, I'm way behind with the training and won't make the 14th June race so I have to find another.