Running with facial palsy

Hello - I wonder if anyone might be able to help me.

As a result of surgery last year, I have lost the facial nerve on the left side of my face. While there has been a small amount of natural nerve regeneration and some improvement due to facial exercises, etc, there is what I can only describe as a "droop" on that side of my face. I will have remedial surgery sometime in 2013 (oh yes! A facelift on the NHS image) but that's a while away.

For normal day-to-day activities, I have to tape my forehead and cheek, to prevent the muscles lengthening due to gravity and therefore compromising the effectiveness of future surgery. This is fine for low level exercise, but I have returned to running (in a very small way!) and I don't feel this tape gives me sufficient support. While I don't want to stop running, because it does me a huge amount of good both physically and psychologically, equally I don't want to risk compromising the chances of successful surgery!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I could support my face while running. At the moment, the only thing I can think of is tying a scarf around my face (the way parents used to do when their child had mumps, with the ends of the scarf sticking up like rabbit ears...) and, while I don't mind looking like an eejit when I run, I can't help wondering if there might be anything a bit less....conspicuous, shall we say?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments