South Cheshire 20

Comments

• looking forward to it ....ish! Steve thanks for the warning about mile 9 I will look out for that one image Well better get my hill reps in tomorrow to make sure the legs are up for it.

See you all Sunday!
    Kirsten
  • Northern Gazza wrote (see)

Hi

I'm looking to complete a 20 mile race before the Edinburgh Marathon. However, as i live in West Yorkshire the South Cheshire 20 seems to be the closest one.

Before I look to enter online, at some point over the next few days, could anyone please give me some information about the course and whether it would be worth the drive over from WY (approx 160 mile round trip).

Many thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

You are welcome to the spare bed in the boxroom at my place on Saturday night if it would help.

My wife says she will spoil you with a real Staffordshire breakfast on Sunday morning: Staffordshire oatcakes, cheese, rashers of bacon, black pig pudding, tomatoes, heinz beans onion, sausage, egg.  She says she doesn't want you getting hungry during the race. image

My email address in on my website.

http://www.racephotos.org.uk

The Interactive map on my website is spot on and I will be at the race again this year taking photos which are free to download.

Have a good one everyone.  God willing and fine weather I will see you on Sunday.

Kind regards.

Bryan

• Bryan,

*jumping in to the conversation * sounds lovely, can I place a order image

see you on Sunday and I will try and look happy for the photos

Kirsten
  • Well the information regarding this race sounds very positive. I'm currently training for my first marathon in Edinburgh and thought this one might be a good one to do. The long runs I've been building up are mainly run in undulating country lanes and last week I ran 20 miles, literally chugging in the last mile or so. My only concern is how bad are the hills. There was a mention of a 2 mile hill at mile 9 then more to come. Are we talking gradual incline or full on 2 miles of hill. Really unsure of whether to go for it or not??
  • Hi - miles 9 to 11 (or just before 11 actually) are basically ascent, but not unbroken ascent. Just after 9, there is a steep uphill pitch, but that flattens off (and drops briefly) before climbing again from 10 to just before 11. There's no getting away from it, it's a tough course - but it's not two miles of continuous uphill.
  • Many thanks for the advice. I'm hoping I can register on the day. I just need to muster up some confidence now ready to go for it on Sunday.
    Thanks again!
  • You can definitely register on the day.

Doesn't look like warm weather is forecast - take it steady and the hills will be fine and offer welcome variation image

• I am turning up for this one.

Hope I can keep the sweepers at bay. Im hoping to pay on the day, but might as well pay on line tonight when Im back from work. Managed to talk another couple of Sandbach striders to join me. image

• Good work Paul, see you and the Striders there.

(And yes, online entry is open until Friday if I remember right - and I should do as I set it up.)

• In preparation for the run (race) on Sunday I ran long hill reps last night. Tonight's efforts was for my run commute homes; I ran up and over Penkhull, up to Blurton and finally up to Longton, legs felt like lead, but hopefully setting me in good stead for Sunday. Also got in some weather conditioning into the bargain!

One more short run on Friday and then rest and hydration ready for Sunday

See you there
  • Well, saved a couple of quid by entering online , so Im now in.
    looking for a time of about 3 hr 20 but happy to make sure I run it all. Its in preparation for my White peak Marathon and like most sandbach striders running places this week, we will be adorning Yellow ribbons to raise awareness of our missing Club Runner John Lawton.

Have done a couple of 18 milers, in preperation, but us Cheshire based runners, do stuggle to find decent hills to run up image

So hope you have all trained well and see you bright and early on Sunday morning.
  • Looking forward to giving you all a big shout on Sunday, I'll be marshalling in the village of Weston (close to the pub!image) at 3 miles and 17 miles.image
  • Hi All.

Thank you for the information regarding the race, apologies for the reply taking so long.

I've just entered the race, following a review of the links supplied by Kirsten Owen (thank you). 

Also thanks for the offer of an overnight stay by racephotos, the offer was appreciated, but now travelling over with another runner from the running club who managed to gain a last minute entry to the Edinburgh marathon. You'll spot us easily as we run for the aptly named Idle AC although more relevant to me than the other runner who aiming for about 7m 15s per mile pace.

Anyway, looking forward to the race and hopefully will get a time of around 2h 40m - 2h 50m (ish).

Good luck to all.

Gary

• Gazza

I'm aiming for a similar time, sub 8 mm for early part of the race, taking it easier on the hills, then back up to sub 8 again..

• Good luck everyone; look forward to seeing you on Sunday. Forecast suggests we may get you away in the dry but that we're all going to get wet at some stage.

This is probably better news for the runners than the marshals.

• Corr there are some fast time there image I am hoping for around the 3 hour mark, so I may not see many of you speedy folk, so have a good race all.
  • any ideas of how many mile markers? one every 3 miles or water stops I guess?
  • Hi - no there are mile markers every mile (always assuming none get moved after the course is set out, though we've had no trouble in the past). And there are five drink stations on the course, at (approx) 3.5, 7, 11.5, 14 & 17 miles. Plus drinks at the finish of course.
  • All sounding good - I am looking for anywhere between 3:10 and 3:20 will be pleased, although temporary loss of running mojo midweek means I will be happy to finish.

Minimal rain please image
  • Hi Gary, no problem.

"Also thanks for the offer of an overnight stay by racephotos, the offer was appreciated, but now travelling over with another runner from the running club who managed to gain a last minute entry to the Edinburgh marathon".

I thought the prospect of eating a hearty Staffordshire oatcake breakfast before the race had put you off. image

I am planning to be at the Start, about 8 miles and at the Finish taking my photos.

Forecast is really rubbish, so fingers crossed we all have a successful morning.

Anyone wanting to discard drink bottles, waterproofs, gloves or old t-shirts can leave them with me at 8 miles.

KInd regards.

Bryan.   http://www.racephotos.org.uk

• Bryan, I'm fairly local but loved the sound of that breakfast! image
    I doubt I would be able to run though very far after... Just sleep.

With the weather not looking good, the offer of taking waterproofs would be much appreciated. Was going to run in a gillet and just show number when needed if really throwing it down.

Looking forward to this.

Duffs, fellow Edinburgh runner, how will I recognise you? Haven't decided what I'm wearing yet, possibly red running club top.
  • Hey FRC - likely to be wearing 3/4 length tights, PDSA roobarb and custard vest top and pink jacket with pink baseball cap. Also am told I am runner number 33.

Hoping for dry day tomorrow (fingers crossed). Good luck to everyone and see you tomorrow image
  • PDSA? I thought that was to do with sick animals & pets...

Sounds like a colourful outfit !

No 50 for me,

Maybe in yellow running jacket if it's raining as expect. Red running club top maybe...
  • It is for sick animals but I am running Edinburgh 10k and marathon getting sponsored for PDSA so they gave me a running vest that has roobard and custard on it. Might as well practice running in it to make sure there are no "rubbage" issues before the big day.

Been for a few runs in it and so far so good.
  • I like your optimism, Duffs.

"Hoping for dry day tomorrow (fingers crossed)".

Optimism is good:  Few things in the world are more powerful than a positive push. A smile. A world of optimism and hope. A "you can do it" when things are tough.

Me not so optimisticimage.  I might have to rethink where I take my photos.  I did a photoshoot a few ago, where the strong wind was blowing the rain right onto the lens of the camera.  I got some great shots of raindrops.  I will be looking for places where thre rain will be at my back.

You hold on to that optimism Duffs and fingers crossed you get it right.

KInd regards.

Bryan.
    http://www.racephotos.org.uk

• Thanks Bryan - I have just read the BBC website but am still optimistic (or crazy). Good luck with your photos tomorrow and finding somewhere to pitch up - I will try and wave as I pass by (nice and dry of course image
  • Hi All

Just received confirmation by email of my number (86), looking forward to the race tomorrow. Will see you all there. An early start as having to set off at 7.15.

• Back home and have finally heated up to normal temperature. Hard run today with the weather (although I don't recall ever writing that a 20 mile run was easy).

BIG MASSIVE thank you to all the organisers for a well run race and EVEN BIGGER THANK YOU to all the marshalls who all shouted encouragement and helped me cross the road many time and were all smiling despite the weather. THANK YOU

Quite happy with 3:12 although not sure I was fit for another 6.2 - 4 weeks to find that. . . Hope everyone else did well and survived the rain - can't believe my optimism never paid off image

• Ah, Sorry I didn't see you Duffs.

Expected to get there 9am but our route had 2 unexpected road closures and only got there by 9.20... Kit still to get on.... Didn't have any time to warm as planned, then we were off... 2h36 or 37 for me. So very happy with that, took it easy on the hilly bit.

Event was great, really well organised, can't praise the marshals enough. Great work.

Also nice to see Bryan and his team at various spots.... I did have my running jacket on most of the time since it was so wet but waved right at the finish line with it open.

Great event in tough conditions. Many thanks to all
  • No probs FRC - glad you managed to make it and well done on the PB on a day like today. Sounds like you're all set for Edinburgh!