Sunday 5th February 2012

The big old moon is shinin; down

Morning

Anyone racing best of luck, if its still up and running

LMH Got home ok, did fall once minutes from home don't know why i think i may have swerved a bit and down i went but got back ok, think rear brake is buggered feels very loose if you squeeze it so will need to sort that

A guy in his car  i thought he'd broken down  offered me a lift home i politely declined said i was ok and carried on he may have just been a good samaritan but you can never tell these days. i find that sad.

What: good question had hoped for 7.59 miles (to give me a 30 mile week ) but will see when i wake
Why: base
Last Hard: Cycling in the snow
Lyrics: should be easy and couldn't think of anything else

IK bought some yaktraks over a year ago haven't had the chance to wear them think tomorrow will be my chance

Comments

• Morning.

Hope there are no after effects from your fall Pammie. Unfortunately so true what you say about the good Samaritan.

We have two or three inches of fresh snow - but it's stopped and we're not forecast any more. Should be able to get out for my run whilst it's still fresh though will be a little slower than usual I expect as will require some caution when placing the feet.

What:                      LSR
    Why:                        it's Sunday
    Last hard:              22/1
    Last rest:               31/1

Lyrics - can't say I do.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning

Yesterdays lyrics: Gary Numan and Cars.

Rest day for me

Lots of black ice about up here, saw cracking sunrise when walking Geordie.

No snow

Pammie: Sorry to hear re your accident.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Pammie, I think it is a sad state of affairs that we think the worst when offered help.

I raced yesterday and survived but this morning has been cancelled. Looks like a ride on the CX bike.

What: a ride of some description
    Why: racing cancelled
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 6th Jan
    Non running streak: 12 days and counting
    Lyrics: no
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    good morning!
    Pammie, as you say it is quite sad when the default position is to be wary...
    what - an hour easy over the fields in a light dusting of the white stuff. Was supposed to be at Crystal Palace for youngest's biathlon (swim/run) but called off owing to the weather. No reserve day, no refund, and up to the powers to be to judge if her times good enough to make the final...
    why - recovery from yesterday: did my long run 18.6 miles in 2:32 felt a little weary on some of the hills but otherwise OK

have a great day!
  • Blimey that was hard work. We have about 6" of snow here and the roads aren't clear enough to run on so I've just spent two hours wading through the stuff - ran about a mile less than I would normally expect to in that time but I'm sure it was a great full body workout!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning all,

Snowy? yes indeed, about 8 inches here. Pretty treacherous stuff too.

Glad you're ok Pammie, and, yes, sad, isn't it. But you're right. In my life, at least, it isn't a new phenomenon. All the city lore I had to learn when we moved to DC, and unlearn when I came to this country.

Gobi, and all others cycling in ice country, er, careful, you all? And keep your head protected, yes?

Me? An hour and twenty minutes run in the white stuff. Because I like running in the white stuff. It should have been a long slow day, but running in the snow eats energy, and knowing how fast I can change from feeling fine to feeling completely out of energy, it seemed foolish to wander too far. As LMH has observed, it is definitely a whole body workout. I was spending energy far too hard to keep it going for a long run.

Still, fell shoes grabbed the snow and on most surfaces the traction wasn't too bad. Heading out, crossing Parkers Piece, a green square on the way in town, I chose a pristine patch of snow, took off pack, lay on my back and swung my arms up and down.

Please god, may I never grow too old to enjoy making snow angels.

• Afternoon!

What: 1km in the snow, followed by stretches, followed by the same 1km back again. Very slooowly.
    Why: because I can, or at least think I can...this represents significant progress, as long as there is no reaction of course.

Some good long runs going on. Wish I could join you!

Lyrics: nope

The snow here is only a couple of inches, and thawing rapidly.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Bizarre.... my post has vanished.... put post up after LMH... oh well....

Not a lot again...... last planned total rest day... if all goes to plan will go to the gym tomorrow for a light session on the x trainers to see how I feel....

1st run / plod will be at the 1st Newbury Parkrun next saturday all being well and then start some base from there....

• Ale - another step back!!

No snow here, but no training either - babysitting. No panic though - it was planned. All targets for the week were met!!
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon.

As Stickless said, a fair bit of snow here.  Meant to be a rest day for me but spent all morning shovelling, then I made a snowman image  Not sure if I'm brave enough to cycle to work tomorrow though if it's frozen again.

Yesterday did 13.1 miles.  Ran to parkrun, raced in a good time for me and ran back.  Have never run that far before so was very chuffed with myself.  I have decided that it may be a little too cold for shorts at the moment, though I don't know if I can bring myself to buy long trousers when I'll only wear them below freezing!

Pammie I hope you are feeling ok after your fall.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• Hey everyone,

Well done emzap on your 1/2M. It's good to feel good. BTW, I'm sure it's too cold for shorts...

Well you sound like you are on the mend Alehouse.

Bless you Stickless. I enjoy your posts, what would life be without snow angels.

Well done with everybody else's snow exploits, apart from Pammie on her bike, or off it. Hope you're okay.

Good long run there Dustin, good to read you are still around here. Shame about the child's biathlon.

So d&d the 35k this afternoon, 2:45. Good start for the week...No snow here though.
  • Well done DesRes: 35k on a treadie! Must have been something good to watch!
    Not speaking too soon about being on the mend. Probably did more today than I was supposed to: will know for sure when I try to walk downstairs in the morning!

And well done Emzap! (I mean for running in shorts! I'm a two pairs of bottoms person at the moment!). Well done on the long run too.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Evening

Thanks for all your concerns about my fall, luckily it had been snowing so i had a soft landing - sorry my sense of humour gets me at the best of times i'd turned into a road that had less traffic so snow was more chunky. I'm ok had sleep got up and did 4.2 miles not quite the 7.59 as hoped but no worries

Yaktrax's were great took a few minutes to get in the running mode but while slo they were ok glad i got them

DesRes 35k impressive once did 15 miles that was tough that was about 3 years ago when i used one because of the snow and ice

emzap impressive run yesterday