Options

Lunatic or softie - which camp do you fall into!

Four inches of snow already and it was snowing again

I was wrapped up like an eskimo with 2 long sleeve thermal tops, a jacket and hat and gloves - this bloke had a long sleeved top with a cotton t-shirt over and shorts, he did have a hat on though. I think he's a lunatic - he probably thought the same about me.

Comments

• Options
    Yep, shorts here too, as always image
  • Options
    Went running the other night with half length tights and shorts over because it was almost freezing. Halfway through the run I was so bloody warm you could of cooked a chicken in my pants. I'm definitely a shorts person.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Ran in shorts today. In the gym.
  • Options
    definitely shorts all year round for me.....my legs don't feel the cold.even at night in winter on mountain tops.....my stomach quite often feels the cold though

• Options
    Shorts all day long for me, I only suffer from cold fingers but even tha fades away during the run.
  • Options
    Fleecy lined tights, 2 tops, hat, gloves and cankles formed by ski socks!! Definitely a softie me! image
  • Options
    Lunatic here but different type.

Usually run in trackie bottoms but have to wear a t-shirt or sleeveless vest as my top half gets too hot - even in this weather! Even when I manage to talk myself into wearing a long-sleeve top I have to roll the sleeves up or I overheat! Could never wear a hat too - would def, get too hot.
  • Options

Yesterday I ran in thermal long sleeves with a long sleeved high-necked tech top, two pairs of 3/4 leggings, two pairs of socks, gloves and earmuffs. It was a race so I was caning it pretty much as fast as I could and I was chuffing freezing.

Woos? Who me?image

• Options
    It really does depend what you are used to! I'm a night worker so I rarely go out in less than 5c and consequently I am always cold in less than that. If it's 3c or less I now wear bottoms. I'm on jury service so I went down my running club last Thursday. I wore the same as I normally wear for 1c and it was -4c. I was too hot, but I left my socks behind and used the thick socks I cycled there in. Maybe they made the difference but I had to take hat off. The other thing was , it was hilly and the pace was too quick for me. We probably set off at 4-10 per km instead of 4-20(which I normally do).

It's important to remember that one part of the body affects another, so if you are too hot you can take the leggings off.If it's flat you are going to be colder than if it's hilly.
  • Options

I like it toasty. Definately don't like the wind going right through me and hate bare skin in anything around freezing.

Thermal tights, winter running tights, thermal long sleeve top, wind resistant jacket, very warm fleece, hat, gloves, winter socks. Minus nine. Brrr. Oh, and buff.

Never shorts unless summery warm for me. image

• Options
    shorts and t-shirt whatever the weather! definite lunatic here image
  • Options
    Tights today for me but since it was broad daylight I threw a pair of shorts on too to protect my modesty image
  • Options
    sonic.you should try armwarmers......easy to put up or down or take off....
  • Options
    PeersPeers ✭✭✭
    Went running in the hills yesterday with a thermal under top, t-shirt, jacket, trousers and gloves. That would definitely put me in the softie camp, but I think its important to be comfortable.
  • Options
    I feel I must add though I prefer running in shorts I do keep my upper body quite toasty, so I'm only a lunatic from the waist down.
    I've been using Under Amour cold gear recently and it keeps you very snug without bulking you up.
  • Options
    peers.........i think you made the good point of what makes you feel comfortable.......i wear shorts because if i wear trousers i am overheating within a couple hundred yards......its nothing about being hard.its about my ability to run......

so everyone should wear what helps their running and health.......not what looks cool image
  • Options

It warmed up here in Belgium over the weekend to -5C as a high point. It was -12C last Wed when I did a 23k before work. I'm skinny, my body fat is usually around 8-9% and i feel the cold. It is taking 3-4kms before my hands begin to feel like i have warm blood in my arms and they often feel numb due to poor circulation before a run is out.

So i had on some long socks, capri pants, full length tights over that, gilet over my running jacket, balaclava under my beanie hate - all for yesterday's 29K run. I never felt too hot (wasn't going fast enough) but I do have to get the kit off pretty quick when I'm stopped, as the moisture inside goes cold really quick.

Saw a couple of guys out in shorts or people with no hat or gloves. Generally I think they were non-runners doing some guilt running, or people going for short stints at a relatively high pace (for them). Each to their own I guess.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

was about -3 when I set out yesterday and a pretty windy in places, wearing shorts... as well as a tshirt, microfleece and gloves!

I sometimes wear tights but much prefer to wear shorts. Nothing to do with trying to be tough but my legs don't get cold whilst I am running. My hands do though!

• Options
    Have resorted to tights once this year, otherwise it's shorts for me. Like WiB, I need gloves, but legs don't suffer from cold.
  • Options

I think the wind has a lot to do with it. I was racing yesterday in 2ºC so technically it wasn't that cold, but the wind was freezing and we got blown about quite a bit. The last 3 kms were uphill so I should have been roasting by then but we were running into a north wind and it went right through my clothes. Brrr!

I've never seen folk grab their goody bag and leave so quickly - no stretching or any of that. As many clothes on as possible and straight to the car.image

• Options
    Im currently in France and went running yesterday morning and it was -11, in shorts of course. Best and only way image
  • Options

I am a useless runner in the summer time i admit. I often get some of my worst times since the heat i cannot cope with. I have to go out at first light.

Winter time. These cold conditions. Well i ran the other day and my hands were frozen, but after the first mile i was warm, and by mile 2 i was actually sweating. What i do now though is wear a a sweater over my singlet and take it off, tie it around my waste when i hit this point.

Everyone is individual. Its impossible to judge anyone in this sport. Anyone who goes out and does this bullshit week after week i applaud.

• Options
    I always seem to overheat when I run no matter what the weather is like. Currently run in either shorts or 3/4s with a short sleeve top. The only parts of me that get cold are my hands and my ears so I use gloves and ear warmers. In the summer I have to keep tipping water over my head to stop feeling too hot.
  • Options
    I'm one great big fat softie. I'd make a great pillow. image
  • Options
    Softie. I'm wearing a fleece and still trying to pluck up the courage to go for a steady 4 mile plod.

I keep telling myself I'm built for comfort, not for speed.