Kinetica Spring Ballbuster - 3rd March 2012

After having a great morning out at the winter one, I am going back to try and better my time hopefully. There was a good pirate crows last time.... is anybody else doing it this year?

Thinking about riding to the TRC exhibition afterwards.... though may just go on the Sunday instead. Any body else with similiar plans?

Comments

• Down for Guildford G3 XC first thing, Hope to go to TCR a bit later in the day. If it's jolly weather, may cycle up. 
  • Hoping to find some time to watch some of the ballbuster but it will be the latter half if any suspect. We shall see. If I get down there I'll try and get your top to you somehow though if you are racing it could be tricky...

Re TCR, I might start a separate thread, but it looks like my window will be earlyish Sunday morning, so likely to miss the headline lectures etc sadly.

• If its a lecture you need Gladys ..........  image
  • Wont be able to come and yell at you this time round.  

I shall be shuffling my way round an IM run leg imageimage

• I'll be there again.  It had better warm up a bit before then though!
  • I hope to keep you in my sights a little bit longer than the first 90 seconds this time round CD!

*wishful thinking* image

• For the second time today Meldy "fur cough" etc! image
  • Go away Spambot! (Unless you're racing on Saturday)

So is it just me and CD racing this time? Anybody else in?image

• I'm not racing. Sadly kid duties will probably keep me from watching any either, but you never know!
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Me, I'm in!

And then heading off to Sandown Park to spend money and be offensively smelly.
  • I shan't be supporting, sorry image. I doubt I'll make the show either.
  • Yes, see you both there.  It'll be a good race even if we're without the usual piratey support.  Should be warmer than in the past, that's for sure.
  • and hopefully with a bit more visability than last time!! Will look to rack nearby if I see you both around

I'll also try and at least keep sights of you for a little longer in the first run! Did you do 48.xx last time for the first 8 miles?

• Good luck for Saturday.

I will not be there as I need to do some training of my own and go to the TCR show. I still have not cycled up the Zig zag road but still plan to do it some time this year.

• I'm usually around 45 or 46 for the first run GB.  Probably a bit too quick really, I've only managed the second run inside 50 a couple of times, and ideally the two runs would be closer than that.

I see that the race information asks as to bring a front light for the bike in case it's foggy.  I would have thought that a back one was a better option.

• Hmmm, surely the front with the amount Of people crossing the centre line. I was going to stick a frog light on the front anyway

See you saturday
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Got my "good" bike out yesterday - still had the Autumn Ballbuster paraphernalia attached!
    I'd really hoped to feel noticeably faster after the winter bike, but didn't, and just found I kept forgetting how to change gear after getting used to 105 over the winter!
    So, tomorrow will be fairly mild, a bit soggy, and possibly foggy; it must be time for a bit of vascillating over kit.
    We're lucky we don't have the same problems as the guys in Taupo - I really feel for them, and hope they get some sort of race on Sunday.
  • I got my BB bike out last weekend so I know it's all working, but when I put the race wheels on last night the mud from November was still on the tyres.

Agreed on Taupo, a real shame after going all that way.

• So in November I only managed about 4 hours sleep before the race because of travelling with work and stuff

well today I have moved back from Edinburgh, it's nearly 11pm... and I havent even started thinking about tomorrow yet image To make it worse I only slept 3 hours last night and just 1 hour (!!!) the night before. Can't even remember what time I need to be up to get to the train station but I think possibly 4am or something stupid! I fear I may fall asleep on the bike tomorrow...

See you guys there! anyway!!! image

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Good luck for tomorrow guys and gals. Race strong...
  • Have a great race all, think you've got better weather than us at the moment! image
  • Enjoy the race guys

Watch out for Joddly the sandbagger !!!
  • OK so as expected my body shut down and i didnt wake up in time for the train!!! Taxi booked... would rather face the £50 cost than lose the £70 spent on the race image

see you there guys

• have fun guys......

Golden Boots - you nutter!
  • Let's just say that GB has a story to tell, and it's an expensive one. Sorry to see you standing there mate.

Decent enough race for me though, second into T1, dropped a few places on the bike but held it together on the run for 5th. It rained though, the bike was getting a bit dicey towards the end and I felt for those with a lap to go on the bike when I got to T2. As usual it was bright and sunny by the time I bumped into joddly at prize giving.
  • well.... I should have just turned over and gone back to sleep when i slept in... losing my entry fee but nothing else.

A £60 taxi ensured that I was early enough to get there as i had missed my train, then I registered, racked etc etc. Went off on the first run and decide to conserve a lot more than last Novembers race as I wanted to finish the second run stronger (52min/57min last year for the two runs).

Was happy with my pace and feeling fresh, overtaking many around me who were really struggling so early. Finished the first run in 49:51... 2 minutes quicker than last time... the difference being though that I felt really good as I got into T1. First lap on the bike and I was having a ball, finished the first lap and as I passed the crowds and then followed the road as it bent left... back wheel starts sliding behind me and I was unable to bring it back in..... BANG. Before I know it im sliding along the floor. 

Jumped straight up to check the bike and apart from putting the chain and water bottles back in it needed nothing else... great! Started along the road and took a look at my handlebars... and saw blood dripping off them. The effect of the adrenaline  then stopped and I realised my hands were in agony and I was struggling to hold the handlebars. Tried holding the hoods or the drops, tried going on the bars... same effect. Because I hadnt worn any gloves my hands had taken the whole impact and grazed right where I need to hold on to the bike... GAME OVER. Made the ride of shame backwards to be cleaned up by the first aidersand collect my things as I was getting cold.

Shortly after I went over somebody else did exactly the same on the exact same corne... HR were quick to react and put several staff on it and before to warn others... thought that was very well done (though pity i had to be the first to come off there image)

No bike damage, only small grazes on both hands that wouldnt bother me if they were anywhere else but just meant I couldnt put weight on my hands for the twists, turns and sharp descents that the box hill course calls for! One of my wrists has slowly got worse and worse is hurting quite a lot now though, oh and I ripped my brand new Pirate Armwarmers!!!!!

Hopefully will be running the Saucony 10k tomorrow at the tri show, at least I wont be tired for that now... but I dont know if my wrist will feel up to it or not!

Sorry I didnt stay until the end Dave... looked good as you came off the bike. Just couldnt hang around as I was getting cold and starting to hurt more and more!

• Just looked at the results and saw I was 21st after the run and first in the age group... image
  • Take the positives GB, sounds like you stayed well within yourself on the first run which is good. Do you know what made you and the other person fall?
  • Think it was just slightly wet on that corner where as everywhere else it had dried up... yet later when they were warning everyone going round it they shouted that it was greasy on the floor(??)

Dave did you see anything? It was the left bend just after going past the entrance to transition and before the exit?

Oh well... Will just have to head back at the end of the year to see how well i can do there!